C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 02:13 PM
doug.storch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Upgrade

Got a good deal on the newer, smaller Delco starter. Good Sunday project, so I thought. The original starter has only the large cable and one more connector that has two wires going to the small post on the solen0id.

The new starter has the big terminal as expected but there are two small posts. I dont know what needs to go on the two small posts.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:41 PM
doug.storch
Instructor

Default Correction

Took a closer look.

Actually have one large black wire and two small red wires connected to the large terminal on the solenois. The small wire connecting to the small terminal is brown or tan.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:59 PM
69'Silver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did this yesterday. You should have one wire that is larger than the other. Use the larger wire and tape off the other. Also see this post.and don't use the wire coming from the ballast resistor http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1555301272

Last edited by 69'Silver; 05-21-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:28 PM
doug.storch
Instructor

When you say "the bigger one" do you mean of the two reds? The reds look the same size. The tan one is the same gage as the reds as well. FYI, I am running HEI.

I tried attaching the big wire and the two reds to the large center terminal (like the old one) and then held the small wire on the two different small posts to see if I can determine whats up. One of the small terminals had no reaction when the ignition was bumped and when I put it on the other one and bumped the ignition the starter felt like it was engaging but the aluminum nose housing sparked where I was holding up against the header
Old 05-21-2006, 04:11 PM
69'Silver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess the later cars are a little different with the HEI than my 69. I just had 2 wires attached to the 12v post and one each to the other terminals on the solenoid. One of my wires was much small than the other and I determined that it was from the ballast resistor. Maybe someone with a later year can chime in here and help.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter Upgrade

Quick Reply: Starter Upgrade