C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's discuss the ground rules...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2001, 01:57 PM
MoMo
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Let's discuss the ground rules...

I know a lot of you guys are disappointed with the banning of Merlin.
I am too, very much so. But we had no choice. Without going into too much detail, I will explain. He took so much offense to certain members disagreeing with him that he couldn't go on unless we took his side. And when we wouldn't, he sent a nasty letter full of the foulest language to us two moderators and Troy. And that was that.

Beyond that, it doesn't do any good to go any further on this. I've been in a week-long hiatus from the forum because of this. It really bothered me.

I don't like seeing anyone get banned unless they are trolls. And I would ask all of you to realize that you're all very valued members. So a short discussion on ground rules would do some good.

First of all, feel free to post your projects and ask for help. This is what we are here for. But please realize that not everyone agrees, and be willing to accept criticism. If a troll pops up and starts flaming you, that's what we moderators are here for. We keep the peace, simply stated.

Please do not feel shy about posting. The only stupid question is the one not asked. And even if you're doing a fully stock, 180 hp build-up, let's hear about it! Just because you're not building a megadollar, megatorque mill that would be happier in a P-51 Mustang fighter plane doesn't lessen your importance on this forum.

Keep it CLEAN!!! If you are losing your temper, then back off. The moderators are always here if you want to discuss something off the forum. We will try our hardest to moderate and bring peace between you, like we tried (until we were at our wit's end) between Merlin and Ganey.

Please try to keep it on-topic. And keep in mind that if you post something off-topic, we reserve the right to move it to another forum on this site. We will try to inform you of it, but keep in mind we are human too. We have occaisionally forgotten to let you know. We may lock the thread in the current forum with a quick note to access it on another forum, or in some cases, we may even send you a courtesy e-mail. It is not intended to upset you when we move a topic. It is simply to keep the focus of the particular forum on target.

You CAN disagree with a moderator. This does not mean you will be banned. We are nothing other than fair. We are volunteers who are dedicated to providing you all with a wonderful forum with which to share your hobby.
We are going to miss Merlin, and sorely wish he could have abided by the laws of the forum. It isn't because he had a disagreement with a moderator!

Any further questions, please feel free to e-mail GDaina or myself. Some things we can't disclose, and I've probably already disclosed too much. But I feel you have a right to know.

Have a wonderful day and enjoy this forum, and we'll continue trying to make it the best.
MoMo.
:chevy
Old 08-26-2001, 02:29 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: Let's discuss the ground rules... (MoMo)

Very well said

I think I'll jet before I get head bashed :jester

ZD
Old 08-26-2001, 02:39 PM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

With very few exceptions, the mod's do a great job of keeping this forum a place we all enjoy participating in. Civility is a must if we are to continue. I too will miss Merlin and his project, but there are lines that can't be crossed without consequence. Each of us need to be careful not to provoke or too quickly respond in kind.

Thanks Mods, and keep up the good work.

Dave
Old 08-26-2001, 02:44 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Let's discuss the ground rules... (Rolling Thunder)

Thanks Momo. That was a very good post and one we should all heed. I don't necessarily think it needed to explained, but now everyone's advised.

I for one think you Mods are doing a great job. I love coming here and getting great advice. Keep up the good work, 'cause God knows I wouldn't want your job!
Here's to all of you :cheers:
Old 08-26-2001, 02:57 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Let's discuss the ground rules... (82dukman)

Thanks Momo. Every once in a while, something like this comes up and you have your hands full. I hope that you guys get enough good email to offset the crap you have to put up with now and then. :cheers:

AC

[Modified by A C, 12:58 PM 8/26/2001]
Old 08-26-2001, 03:00 PM
jsimpson
Drifting

I'm behind you all the way. Administration is never easy when it's done right!
Old 08-26-2001, 03:23 PM
jsimpson
Drifting

As for mediation, I understand Jesse Jackson isn't busy at the moment, get a TV camera and he'll be there before you even ask! :jester
Old 08-26-2001, 03:28 PM
AD2VET
Melting Slicks

CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Point taken, I think all of you are doing a great job.

Johnny
Old 08-26-2001, 03:37 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Let's discuss the ground rules... (jsimpson)

MoMo, I guess a lot of folks will appreciate your spelling it all out for them. I am no rocket scientist, and I neither sent nor received any secret emails to you or anyone, and yet somehow I managed to figure out what was going on. Sometimes it's a good idea to break away from this forum stuff for a while anyway (I told Troy - and I was serious - that anyone with more than 10,000 posts should be required to receive some type of counseling!!) but I am sorry that these most recent events caused you to step away. Everyone appreciates the atmosphere in the C3 section, which is why we spend most of our forum-time here. You and George play a big part in that, mainly by stepping in only when necessary. Keep up the good work! MJ
Old 08-26-2001, 03:44 PM
Tahos
Pro

Thanks MoMo for keeping this forum in good shape.I sure don't envey
your job.We all should be glad you moderators do such a good job keeping
this the excellent forum it is.
Old 08-26-2001, 05:23 PM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Default Re: Let's discuss the ground rules... (Tahos)

I spend more time on this Forum than I do all the other Vette Forums combined...this one's the best by far...Keep up the good work while doing what has to be a tough job... :seeya
Old 08-26-2001, 10:13 PM
Jack78
Safety Car

Default Re: Let's discuss the ground rules... (tnt76vette)

Momo and George have done a great job in the C3 forum - that's why these type of problems seldom pop up here. Many thanks to them, and to all of the good folks on here who very unselfishly share their expertise!
Old 08-27-2001, 10:02 AM
L. Jackmin
Racer

Default Re: Let's discuss the ground rules... (Jack78)

You guys have my support. Keep up the good work.
Old 08-27-2001, 10:12 AM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 511 Likes on 311 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

We need rules, and i think you've presented the truth plain as day. rules must be kept to and i support you and the forum on this position. It's sad, but we are all different people with different attitudes. some that can co-exist and some that can not. That's just life. we all appreciate you MoMo and the other moderators. I support you and I am glad you are willing to assume this position, Please know we really want and need your skill here and you will always have my support as well as Troy and the others. Once again, than you.

J.T.Killain
Old 08-27-2001, 11:37 AM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had no complaints about this forum, and these rules are by far some of the easiest I have seen to follow. :yesnod:
Old 08-27-2001, 11:44 AM
Matter
Team Owner

Default Re: Let's discuss the ground rules... (killain)

You guys work too hard on a sometimes thankless job and DO NOT deserve an email full of foul language. Disagreement amongst point of views does not preclude civility.

Some folks need to realize what a valuable service is being provided to them on this forum and count it amongst their blessings in their corvette world.

I am extremely appreciative of the work you guys do and want to take this opportunity to say: "Thanks, y'all" (<= obligatory Texan)
Old 08-27-2001, 11:25 PM
lyonsh
Drifting

Nicely put, MoMo.

Over 99 percent of the time, you moderators are only going to hear anything from people who are mad. It's tough being the "ref" but that's what you're doing. It's a thankless job, and the pay sucques.

I for one think you all do a great job: enough leeway to air our whatevers, but still keeping it civil.

If you ever get over to Northern VA, let me know: I'll buy you a :cheers: or 3. :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Let's discuss the ground rules...

Old 08-27-2001, 11:30 PM
squeaky g
Safety Car

Default Re: Let's discuss the ground rules... (lyonsh)

Its all good. :cool:

[Modified by squeaky g, 10:31 PM 8/27/2001]
Old 08-27-2001, 11:47 PM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Let's discuss the ground rules... (squeaky g)

Mack76... RULE NO. 1. If you've had more than 2 shots o' Scotch. Don't Post
Old 08-27-2001, 11:55 PM
Tims75
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Let's discuss the ground rules... (Mack76)

Mack76... RULE NO. 1. If you've had more than 2 shots o' Scotch. Don't Post

Does Absolut count?? :crazy: :cheers:

Tims75

Quick Reply: Let's discuss the ground rules...