C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ive been thinking....

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2001, 11:53 PM
MBVette
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Default Ive been thinking....

well Ive been thinking about the '78 vette since I saw it. Well on my way home a new thought poped into my mind (this does not happen to often) so I was thinking that a '78 vette no matter what kind of shape is going to need work. And since I am not the mechanic type, I can only do easy fixes nothing that you really need to go into the engine. Is this the best car to get being that I will prolly need someone to fix most problems for me? Or should I go look at a C4?
Old 08-27-2001, 12:05 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Ive been thinking.... (MBVette)

If can't work on a car, then I'd suggest looking for a late model C-4 instead of a C-3. I passed up a very clean 90 convertible for $10,000 when I bought my 69 roadster(I'm still kicking myself.) Another guy bought the C-4 and hasn't had to work on it at all. He just drives... But my C-3 looks SOOOOOOOOOOO much better :D
Old 08-27-2001, 12:17 AM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd have to say that C3's are deffinitly best for the mechanically inclined type, I find this to be part of their charm and also why most C3ers seem to get along so well, becouse we all have to fight to keep them going so we have something in common. Now the early C4's are getting old enough that they will start to need some major work on many of them, and unfortunatly they are harder to work on in most cases. If your wanting a vette that you can get the most bang fro your buck with little maintenance then a late C4 would probably be your best bet.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 08-27-2001, 12:36 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Ive been thinking.... (73 LS-4)

C4-s break down too - especially the pre 88's.
Old 08-27-2001, 09:46 AM
MBVette
Race Director

TTT
Old 08-27-2001, 02:39 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually try to avoid thinking if I can. I've found that it usually leads me into trouble A '78 is still a pretty simple car to work on, tune, and diagnose. No fancy electrial voodoo stuff under the hood and very little emissions stuff to fail as it ages. I'd ssay that paying for tune-ups, repairs, and maintenance on a '78 will be cheaper than on a C4. I missed your original post about this, so I'm not sure what role the car will serve for you. Daily transportation or a fun weekend cruiser?

Shannon
Old 08-27-2001, 06:26 PM
MBVette
Race Director

Default Re: Ive been thinking.... (sb69coupe)

this is going to be a daily driver. I was thinking on the same lines as you just said, there is no computer or high technology in this car so how hard can it really be to work on. My only problems would be since it is my only car, how often do these cars have problems.
Old 08-27-2001, 07:17 PM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

How often? make that VERY often. I have a '78 which I bought 12,000 CAN (7-8k US I guess) and looked in perfect shape...even got a free engine rebuild in the package. But don't let that fool you...2 weeks after I had brake problems....and from then on it was a problem every 2 week...never at the same place....lately I did a FULL month without having to repair anything...I was in heaven until I broke the clutch a week ago. It was a daily driver...so if you think of using it as your ONLY mean of transport, I'd look at another car for now. Like my buds say at work....its awesome when it rolls...but that doesn't happen often.

Get notified of new replies

To Ive been thinking....

Quick Reply: Ive been thinking....