C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to Strip Paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2001, 09:04 AM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Ready to Strip Paint

Well, I guess I've made my decision to strip my paint instead of sanding over the old paint. Any help or info to links that will help would really make things go better. I'm not looking forward to doing this, but I'm looking forward to a good paint job.
Old 08-28-2001, 09:44 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Ready to Strip Paint (Paul 75 L82)

Hi Paul
Go to my website in my signature. Look under restoration topics and you'll find what you need to know about stripping paint. Good Luck. :seeya
Old 08-28-2001, 09:56 AM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Ready to Strip Paint (vettfixr)

vettefixer, thanks for the info. I printed it off and will study it later.
Old 08-28-2001, 10:00 AM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paul,

Other than what I wrote up in my website, I can offer a few tips of advice too. Set aside a full day to work on it. Trying to do it a few hours at a time is too difficult. There's is too much time spent in setting up the drop cloths and plastic to get started, then cleaning up afterward, to make it worthwhile unless you've got a good 5 to 6 hour stretch to work uninterrupted. If the door jambs are OK you can leave them alone and save a bunch of hassle.

Just take your time, be patient and let the stripper do the work. I was really anxious and started removing the stripper way too early when I first started. Let it work and leave it undisturbed on the surface and you'll make quick time in removing the old paint.

Keep us posted,
Shannon
Old 08-28-2001, 12:41 PM
James
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last Saturday I just finished stripping the entire front clip of my 69. I found the article that sb69coupe provided very informative. The best thing I can recommend is to take your time and work small sections at a time. I started on a Monday night after work (only being able to work on it a couple of hours each night) and finished up the following Saturday. At first it seems like it will never end but as soon as you start see more of the factory panel appearing you will continue on. Lots of paper towels or rags to clean your flexible plastic scrappers that you are using and a box to throw all of the garbage in. Then I washed each section I stripped at time over and over again with fresh clean cold water and then the entire front clip over and over again. I was very careful to make sure that I left no srtippper in any little areas or hard spots to get to. Wash with water, Wash with water,Wash with water,Wash with water,Wash with water,...
Good luck.
Old 08-28-2001, 12:50 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Paul, Shannon and I e-mailed each other several times on how I stripped four C3s in the last 8yrs. I used a product called Evercoat One Strip available at good auto body supply shops. Like he stated(Shannon), take your time and completely strip one panel or piece at a time before moving on to the next. That stuff I mentioned is very controllable and is jellylike. You can strip up to the jamb area if your not going to repaint them or the inside hood lip area. You'll have a much better paint job stripping the old paint off!!! I used about 5 gals per car. Also, make sure you wash the car several, several times to neutralize any left over stripper after you've removed all the paint. :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Ready to Strip Paint

Quick Reply: Ready to Strip Paint