C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help, I am in the middle of fixing my rear suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2001, 04:26 PM
John Dirks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help, I am in the middle of fixing my rear suspension.

My passenger side, rear fender height has always been 1" higher off the ground than the drivers side.
Today I decided to try and even them out.
I took out the stock rear spring bolt on the passenger side, and installed a longer one I purchased from Vette Brakes.
With the longer bolt in, the passenger side fender lip is now only 1/2" higher than the drivers side.
However underneath my car the rear leaf spring now sits 1.25" lower to the ground on the passenger side.
Is this uneven spring curve dangerous?
The passenger side of the spring has more curve or arc, while the drivers side has very little curve or arc.
Does adjusting one rear fender height also affect the opposite front fender height, because the front heights are uneven now?
Please reply so I can fix this immediately.
Thank you.
:confused:
Old 09-01-2001, 04:49 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Need Help, I am in the middle of fixing my rear suspension. (John Dirks)

i had the same problem and did the same thing as you but havent noticed any difference in the way it rides or anything else...but i would like to hear other oppinions about it.
Old 09-02-2001, 12:49 AM
81Batman
Instructor

Default Re: Need Help, I am in the middle of fixing my rear suspension. (John Dirks)

I can't comment about the spring curve except to say that it will lessen the total amount of lift and there fore affect the pressure on that side. this may or may not affect handling. If the front of the car was level at the time that the rear was uneven then it seems that there is another problem also. The front will change but not as much as the back if the problem is in the back.
What this means is that if the rear is low on the driver side then the front driver spring is trying to compensate and in turn keeps the pass side from coming up as much as the rear is down. The end with the biggest difference is the culprit.
Old 09-02-2001, 04:03 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I have the same problem and it's driving me nuts, my rear spring is like yours is and I have
to figure out what is going on hope it dosen't harm the spring. This puts the alignment out out my car pulls a little to one side.

Had the car on jackstands today and was taking measurements. The body mounts behind the rear wheels
are OK and the body sits at the same height at this point on both sides, but as you go further back one
side is lower than the other by about an inch, it's like the body is warped or something.

It's hard to see but the opposite front corner will get lower about the same as you lift the back coner up.

Drives me nuts :mad

[Modified by MotorHead, 2:05 AM 9/2/2001]

[Modified by MotorHead, 2:06 AM 9/2/2001]
Old 09-02-2001, 06:30 PM
73nightmare
Intermediate

Just installed a Fiberglass spring .... looks good and rides good so far!
Old 09-03-2001, 10:57 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have an OE Steel spring, you may just be seeing the effects of years of driver only and battery on left driving. These two total probably 220 lbs of additional load on the driver's side and would seem to de- arch the steel after 20+years.
Try swapping ends witht he spring (Left to right, etc) and seel if the situation reverses.
I recommend the TRW fiberglass spring to solve this and ride quality issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help, I am in the middle of fixing my rear suspension.

Quick Reply: Need Help, I am in the middle of fixing my rear suspension.