C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor mount question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2001, 07:30 PM
78RedShark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor mount question

I've noticed that I need a new motor mount. When I'm in gear and accelerate off the line, at about 1500rpm the fan hits the fan covering ( what an annoying screeth!)...one guy says I need a driver-side mount...another guy said to "do the works", whatever that means...any recommendations? I have a '78 L-48.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 09-02-2001, 08:23 PM
nastee383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Motor mount question (78RedShark)

Energy Suspension polyurethene motor mounts and transmission mount. You won't regret it and you'll never have to buy for that car again.
Old 09-02-2001, 11:19 PM
robzr
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Motor mount question (nastee383)

Nastee that should be clarified. He will regret it as he is putting them in, after that he won't ;) Mine were a huge hassle to squeeze in there, but so far they are happily standing up to my abuse. FWIW I previously had the "GM Locking High Performance" mounts which cost as much as the chrome Energy Suspensions and only lasted 7,000 with my abuse. If the poly's don't last, I'm going solid!

Rob

BTW When I installed my poly mounts (trans & motor), I noticed my fan was sitting about 1/4" higher than before. I also swapped my trans x-member at the same time, so I don't know what caused that. Has that happened to anyone else with the Energy Suspension Poly mounts? That makes me a little nervous, as it means the trans & motor are at a downwards angle to the driveshaft, which I think is costing me a little power (and working my u joints)

[Modified by robzr, 9:23 PM 9/2/2001]
Old 09-03-2001, 02:39 AM
bluevette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Motor mount question (78RedShark)

I just had to change mine a few weeks ago for the exact same symptoms. My drivers side mount came out in two pieces. However, as mentioned above, you should replace at least both sides at the same time and consider the tranny mount also. My tranny mount got replaced last December with my tranny rebuild, so I didn't have to do it this time with the motor mounts. Good luck.

John

Get notified of new replies

To Motor mount question

Quick Reply: Motor mount question