C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Rant) Spent 45 minutes trying to get door handle nut back on ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2001, 10:56 PM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default (Rant) Spent 45 minutes trying to get door handle nut back on ...

The studs on the repro POS door handle fell out. How fun it is to go inside C3 doors. Yes I am in a mood, will tackle it in the morning when I don't have to hold the trouble light.

How many of you have one nut holding your outer door handles on ?

Thank you for your attention !
Old 09-02-2001, 11:07 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: (Rant) Spent 45 minutes trying to get door handle nut back on ... (dman535)

Actually there are a lot of them with one bolt holding them. I have worked on a lot of them and have seen it often. Once I witnessed a dealership replace them under warranty and thats what they did. One is very hard to get to and is frequently omitted. If you are replacing one a little advice. Remove the screws holding the lock mechanism. Let it drop down a little and you can get to the bolts more easily.
Old 09-02-2001, 11:12 PM
noxqsz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: (Rant) Spent 45 minutes trying to get door handle nut back on ... (dman535)

Come on now, gentlemen, what self-respecting sharkmeister would go around with only one nut? :D
Old 09-03-2001, 12:12 AM
lyonsh
Drifting

Only 45 minutes!? Wow, no stamina. :lol:

Been there, done that. I'd like to find the engineer who designed that thing and, well, "discuss" it with him. :mad

:cheers:
Old 09-03-2001, 12:29 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Default Re: (Rant) Spent 45 minutes trying to get door handle nut back on ... (lyonsh)

I removed the passenger side latch assembly to clean, lube and adjust the locks and opener. Once the latch is out then you should be able to get the nut off. I have done this job several times before so it's not too bad anymore, but take your time and I would clean up the latch assembly while you're at it. Brake cleaner works good and some spary white grease will keep it moving for you.
Gary
Old 09-03-2001, 01:11 AM
steelblu75
Intermediate

Default Re: (Rant) Spent 45 minutes trying to get door handle nut back on ... (gtr1999)

I agree with gtr1999 and wombvette...the easiest way is to remove the three screws holding the lock mechanism, let it drop down a little , and then you can get to the nut on the high side of the handle. I also use a small gear wrench to help with the removal and reinstallation. Just a word of caution though, take a good look at the way the lock mechanism engages with the tang on the key lock, and the way the rod from the door handle snaps into the clip on the lock mechanism...just in case.
Old 09-03-2001, 01:24 AM
slide
Racer

Default Re: (Rant) Spent 45 minutes trying to get door handle nut back on ... (steelblu75)

Ran into this with my 75 and let me tell you, if I could have gotten hold of an Engineer, I don't care if he worked for GM or not I'd have given him a piece of my mind, just because he was an Engineer. :mad :smash: :boxing
Slide
Old 09-03-2001, 01:31 AM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Default Re: (Rant) Spent 45 minutes trying to get door handle nut back on ... (slide)

Hell...I was actually trying to replace the handle a couple of months back. Got the nuts off just fine, but couldn't get that lever to release. Nothing I tried would let the handle off...then I got so paranoid figuring even if I managed to get it off, how would I ever get the other one on?!? :eek:
Old 09-03-2001, 07:36 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: (Rant) Spent 45 minutes trying to get door handle nut back on ... (Chris Fowler '80)

Only 45 minutes...you're doing great It's a miserable job. As others have said, loosen the screws and let the latch mechanism drop. That gives you more room. A 1/4 inch drive socket on a flex driver is essential. Chuck
Old 09-03-2001, 08:07 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

OK, this is probably my next project, and after reading these posts I think I'm a little :U nervous about the job.

As always though the tips are great to see. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed (sounds like I'll have to for this job ;) )
Old 09-03-2001, 10:12 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: (Rant) Spent 45 minutes trying to get door handle nut back on ... (jerryp58)

I have been wanting to replace the handle on the drivers side for sometime because the flap hits the side on its way back up. Thanks for the tips. I will keep these in mind when this pain hits me. :yesnod:
Old 09-03-2001, 10:39 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

I just did this for the very nice, used handle I bought at Carlisle. I rolled the window all the way down and of course the inner panel and plastic were off. Then I removed the plastic shield at the upper, outer corner of my door interior (as a note, my neighbor's 73 doesn't have this shield.) This shield is a 90 degree piece of black plastic about 4 inches long and about 5 inches wide, counting the bend. Then I removed the three screws that hold the door latch mechanism and let it settle out of the way. This is the mechanism that grabs the post on the rear of the door jamb. I had to remove the rod and clip coming from the door release mechanism, at the latch assembly. Once those items were out of the way, it took me perhaps 15 minutes to get the door handle nut on. I dropped it into the door interior about 12,000 times but I eventually caught the threads and was able to spin it on. Before you start playing with the studs on the door cup, Locktite them in so then don't pull out again.
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To (Rant) Spent 45 minutes trying to get door handle nut back on ...

Quick Reply: (Rant) Spent 45 minutes trying to get door handle nut back on ...