C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank Shield

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Chairman
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Tank Shield

I finally got the body off my 77 and am ready to begin for real, but a surprise. There is a cover over the fuel tank ( there wasn't one on my 58). I have removed the bolts but it is welded in the front. It appears I will need to grind off the welds and remove the shield to get at everything for sandblast and paint. What is the shield for? Is it needed and if so, how is the re-weld after paint handled? Maybe silly questions but I could not find anything about it using search. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:01 PM
VETTEVIC
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It shouldnt be welded in the front, it should have several bolts holding it on that can be seen between the tank and the cover attaching it to the rear crossmember above the differential. It may be rusted or bubba'd together. It would be best if you could go ahead and remove the tank to gain better access to the cover. Alot of times the cover is rusted or has years of grime that collects between the cover and frame and acts like glue holding them together. If it is welded, carefully grind the welds not damaging the frame or the cover and remove the bolts and the cover and when going back together just use the bolts to attach it back onto the frame without the welds so it wont harm the paint.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Chairman
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, mine has definately been welded as well as bolted. I haven't seen too much Bubba work on this car so this is a bit of a surprise. I have already removed all the bolts so as soon as the welds are ground off, it will separate. I will bolt it back.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:23 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

...this was used on '75-'77 Corvettes and I believe it came about because of the Ford Pinto Gas Tank debacle around this same time frame. Also, if your car does not take a "full" tank of fuel, you might as well as remove your tank bladder if it hasn't been done already. My "shield" was scrapped several years ago.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:56 PM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chairman
Thanks, mine has definately been welded as well as bolted. I haven't seen too much Bubba work on this car so this is a bit of a surprise. I have already removed all the bolts so as soon as the welds are ground off, it will separate. I will bolt it back.
I have a 76 and it was definately not welded. Looks like bubba had a welder as was looking for anything and everything to use it on.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:18 PM
brian76
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Borowski
...this was used on '75-'77 Corvettes and I believe it came about because of the Ford Pinto Gas Tank debacle around this same time frame. Also, if your car does not take a "full" tank of fuel, you might as well as remove your tank bladder if it hasn't been done already. My "shield" was scrapped several years ago.
You mean you junked it? It does'nt hurt to mount the tank without it? That damn thing must weigh 20 lbs.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by brian76
You mean you junked it? It does'nt hurt to mount the tank without it? That damn thing must weigh 20 lbs.
...'68-'74 Corvettes didn't have them...'75-'77s don't need 'em either...
Old 07-19-2006, 12:00 AM
Red_Shift
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you did a search but my thread should be there. I posted this question about two years ago. I had two very opposing answers but most members suggested leaving it on for safety. They say if GM put it on, they had to have a reason. Still... I took it off to save weight.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:29 PM
TeaEye
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Red_Shift
I know you did a search but my thread should be there. I posted this question about two years ago. I had two very opposing answers but most members suggested leaving it on for safety. They say if GM put it on, they had to have a reason. Still... I took it off to save weight.
Holly Thread RESTART!

Did some research and the reason for the gas tank shield is that without it, the Corvette couldn't pass the rear end crash test. While testing...a rear end crash would puncture the gas tank! However, when they installed the bladder and the shield....they passed.

So it is pretty smart to reinstall it!!!

If you need one, I have a spare
Old 10-31-2015, 05:19 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
The shield on earlier cars was much smaller than on the later cars and I believe on the earlier cars it was there so in the event of a serious rear-end crash the shield would prevent the gas from splashing back on the car behind, and setting it on fire, TOO.
Regards,
Alan

Old 10-31-2015, 06:45 PM
TeaEye
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow Alan!

Another good reason to stay clear of those Corvettes.

Not my shield, but this is the one like mine.

Last edited by TeaEye; 12-26-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:40 PM
myoriginal77
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Got rid of mine when I did the LS conversion, was for rear crash protection. I don't plan on getting rear ended so I guess I'm good.

Happy Motoring

Get notified of new replies

To Gas Tank Shield

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Shield