C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help With CS144 Alternator Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 01:44 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
Where's the compression ring??

I think it's between the nut and the pulley.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed the pulleys on my v-belt and serp alt's by just removing the nuts off each.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:31 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Fevre
I changed the pulleys on my v-belt and serp alt's by just removing the nuts off each.

I don't think reman alts have the ring...but I have seen them on stock units though.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:10 PM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I talked with Mark at Madd Electronics today about the CS144. He knows these alternators very well and explained what wires in the plug on the CS144 corresponds with the wires on the plug on the SI series. I have his complete electronic upgrade kit and this alternator will be part of my electrical upgrade. As with my 5 speed from auto swap, I will post pics and describe what I have done and the results. I keep a book of all the upgrades I make and how they affect the car. Sometimes I have to do things several times until I get it the way I want it. But that is what Vetterodding is all about! I'm really glad I have so many avid guys on the forum that understand we can make these cars perform better, make them more reliable and more efficient using modern technology. The electrical system is the only part of my car that is still vague to me. But after I make these electrical and cooling system upgrades this winter, there will not be a single part on this car that hasn't been analyzed to see if it can be more efficient, more reliable, safer and make it more fun to drive! Thanks for the support, advice and friendship!
Bernie
Old 08-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BerniesVette
But after I make these electrical and cooling system upgrades this winter, there will not be a single part on this car that hasn't been analyzed to see if it can be more efficient, more reliable, safer and make it more fun to drive! Thanks for the support, advice and friendship!
Bernie

You should be the first to install a driver's air bag in their Vette. That would be a safe and fun mod to talk about.

J/K.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:04 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Where's the compression ring??
It's a tapered split ring that goes under the nut and above the pulley. The stupid thing gets stuck after a while and it takes some cleverness to remove. Typical GM. Invent a better alternator. Invent a better drive belt system. Completely screw up the way the pulley attaches to the alternator.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
I don't think reman alts have the ring...but I have seen them on stock units though.
The serp was reman and the v-belt is a summit 100 amp
Old 08-25-2006, 11:14 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Fevre
The serp was reman and the v-belt is a summit 100 amp

Good, you'll have no issues once you get the pullies off their respective alts. Then it's gravy. Let us know how the new alt performs...you should see immediate diferences like at night, with the headlights on, and a blinker doesn't make the dash lights dim anymore.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
It's a tapered split ring that goes under the nut and above the pulley. The stupid thing gets stuck after a while and it takes some cleverness to remove. Typical GM. Invent a better alternator. Invent a better drive belt system. Completely screw up the way the pulley attaches to the alternator.
I guess that's why I cut mine off...
Old 08-25-2006, 04:26 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Well, if I ever encounter a compression ring I have troble with I'll call you for the removal advice...
Old 08-25-2006, 05:30 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

How in the world did you do that? The nut sits in a deep, narrow well in the serpentine pulley.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:38 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

How in the world did you do that? The nut sits in a deep, narrow well in the serpentine pulley.

Maybe he cut throught he entire pulley, since he was probably gonna trash it anyway and use a V-pulley.

Two points for me?
Old 08-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
Maybe he cut throught he entire pulley, since he was probably gonna trash it anyway and use a V-pulley.

Two points for me?
Yep - that was it. I didn't need the pulley (going with bigger 10 rib pulley), couldn't get any of the standard "pulley removal" tools that would pull it, and I didn't want to waste any more time. It was going into the trash anyway...

With that compression ring, I wonder what the suggested method is to remove it? The hammer method??

Last edited by Z-man; 08-25-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

With that compression ring, I wonder what the suggested method is to remove it? The hammer method??

I still think there is a specific tool that will make short work of those pesky little rings...
Old 08-26-2006, 03:31 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Tapping on the pulley jumped the ring out pretty fast. I just tried everything else first, which did nothing but get me annoyed.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:04 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Tapping on the pulley jumped the ring out pretty fast. I just tried everything else first, which did nothing but get me annoyed.
Not that I care anymore, but just for future info, how did you tap it? You stood it up with the pulley facing up and tapped down? or tried to get a small hammer under the lip of the pulley? Just curious...
Old 08-26-2006, 07:06 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Not that I care anymore, but just for future info, how did you tap it? You stood it up with the pulley facing up and tapped down? or tried to get a small hammer under the lip of the pulley? Just curious...

Me too...in case I ever run into one so I don't get pissed at it and fling it across the garage.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help With CS144 Alternator Install

Old 08-27-2006, 12:44 PM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I decided to have the CS144 rebuilt before I installed it. They are going to remove the serp pulley for me so all I have to do is install the vee belt pulley. They are also marking the plug that I removed with the alternator so I can match the pins on the plug to the wires that correspond to the ones on the SE alt.
Bernie
Old 08-27-2006, 12:47 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BerniesVette
I decided to have the CS144 rebuilt before I installed it. They are going to remove the serp pulley for me so all I have to do is install the vee belt pulley. They are also marking the plug that I removed with the alternator so I can match the pins on the plug to the wires that correspond to the ones on the SE alt.
Bernie

That one was easy though...the two wires on the outside of each side. A big red one and a smaller one.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:36 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

After reading one of the previous threads that suggested compressing the pulley toward the alternator body to loosen the ring, I tried that. Failed miserably. Tried using all different sizes of screwdrivers to pry it out. Failed miserably. Finally got ticked off, stood it up on end, and tapped (not a hard blow, but not a light "ding," either) in a circular pattern around the lip of the pulley - the edge that was now up in the air, so the pulley was being pushed down toward the alternator body. The ring just jumped up and off. Literally.

Quick Reply: Need Help With CS144 Alternator Install