C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ground Straps

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 08:22 PM
69camarovette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground Straps

Today I was tightening a header bolt and saw sparks as I touched
a piece of metal not on the engine. My first thought was that the engine was not grounded. There seems to be no ground straps from the
engine to the frame.
On a 1969 does anyone know where the straps should be?
Old 09-16-2006, 08:40 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

check your AIM for the correct location (you do have one right?)
there definitely should be a ground strap between the engine block and the frame. it may be from the starter motor to the frame but in '69 I'm not sure where the specified location is.

At the very least you could always get a ground strap wire and ground from one of the motor mount bolts to the frame
Old 09-16-2006, 09:44 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

If you were working on the drivers side you probly got a spark on the alternator output wire. Barry is right, you do need the ground straps. The engine is grounded or you would not have gotten a spark and it wouldn't run. The ground straps provide a better ground than just the other hardware on the engine.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:03 AM
kdlp
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

As noted, check your AIM. On '81's the ground strap is bolted in just above the starter and below the header flange. But then again, early 80's sbc's are different in a few respects.

If you don't have an AIM, crawl under and look for a wire that bolts to the front crossmember on your frame and then trace it back. My friends '70 grounds there as does my '81. Then again I'm not sure that '70 is running the original engine.

Good Luck,

kdlp

Get notified of new replies

To Ground Straps

Quick Reply: Ground Straps