C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Brake pressure

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:09 PM
trainmankjm
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default No Brake pressure

Went to the shop to get new mufflers and had them check the brakes since I noticed the rear reservoir of the master cylinder was empty and the pedal went to the floor.
They replaced both front calipers,master cylinder and bled the barkes. I test drove it and still it had little or no brake pressure and pedal went to the floor and the brake light came on.
I left the car with them so they could work on it tomorrow.
Can't think of anything that would cause this except air in the system. What else could it be power booster? proportioning valve?

Appreciate your inputs.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:16 PM
White79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a similar problem with my 79... it turned out to be the vacuum booster.. its a bitch to switch out, the bolts are behind the dash so you have to drop the steering column to get to them.. but judging from everything u replaced it seems like this is the culprit.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:15 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

so what did they do with the back brakes? Booster will not cause no brake pressure.
A bad booster will make the braked hard, you have to stand on the pedal to stop.
Mushy pedal is caused by air in the system, or MC seal bypassing. With all the new hardware when you left the shop you should have had brakes, sounds like the did a bone job bleeding the system.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:57 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

You said the rear reservoir was empty-why did they replace "front" calipers? The rear reservoir is for the "rear" calipers.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:32 PM
lucky76
Racer

Originally Posted by DWncchs
You said the rear reservoir was empty-why did they replace "front" calipers? The rear reservoir is for the "rear" calipers.
I noticed that too. Front to Front, Rear to Rear, and they
do meet in between.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:38 PM
happiedazs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Generally when one caliper goes, the others are not far behind so it's best to replace all four calipers with those stanless steel jobs. My last set lasted 18 years. Also, each rear caliper has TWO bleed valves and the mechanic must bleed both on each rear caliper --- which is often missed if the mechanic isn't familiar with Vets.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:08 PM
trainmankjm
Instructor

Thanks for everyones replies.

Turns out the master cylinder they put in was no good. They put another one in and no problem except the replacement one has a different cover type (one wire clamp insted of the original two).
Bottom line $800 new mufflers,two calipers and a master cylinder.

Would have done the brakes my self but, I had the car up on jacks replacing the gas tank and painting the back frame rails most of the summer and needed to get it back on the road.

I enjoy working on it but driving is what it's about.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:15 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Trainman-keep a close eye on that rear level-one bale holddown ? Hmmm-I dont know doesnt sound right-can you take pics?
Old 09-23-2006, 01:13 AM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Are you saying the master cylinder that is on the car now only uses one clamp? Are both chambers the same size or different? It sounds like they put on a master for disc/drum car, i.e. Camaro. If it is then you need to get it changed asap. It will burn up the brakes.
Mike
Old 09-23-2006, 12:40 PM
trainmankjm
Instructor

Yea, looks like the knuckleheads used the wrong master cylinder. The reservoir for the front is bigger than the rear they should be equal, correct??

Why me??
Old 09-23-2006, 12:58 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by trainmankjm
Yea, looks like the knuckleheads used the wrong master cylinder. The reservoir for the front is bigger than the rear they should be equal, correct??

Why me??
Yes as far as the opening-the volumn is smaller in rear but the openings are the same.Like tracdog said your rear brakes could be dragging-that cylinder will have residule(spell check) pressure built in for the rear drum brakes on a camaro-make sure your rear calipers arnt leaking since before the back cyl was dry.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:26 PM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

The rear chamber will have a 10# residual valve in it. Definitely enough to keep the brakes applied. Where are you located and do you need a correct master cylinder? I'm quite sure you need a new mechanic. I would ask them why they replaced the front calipers when they clearly weren't the problem.
Mike
Old 09-23-2006, 08:29 PM
trainmankjm
Instructor

I'm located in Acworth Ga which is north of Atlanta.
I'm going to make sure these guys install the right master cylinder and I'm done with them.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:45 PM
trainmankjm
Instructor

Re-installed correct master cylinder bled brakes no pedal. Installed rear calipers ( old pistons corroded) bled brakes pedal better but still not great. The car just won't stop like it should. Thinking about replacing the proportioning valve?? Could rotor runout be causing this??
Old 09-28-2006, 12:42 AM
Gasser Vettes
Instructor

hello, I'm in Marietta, ga. 1st you need to get your $$$ back from them monkeys. Then you need to look at it one step at a time. I work on old C1 and C3 Vettes as a hobby. If you need help email me at eastcobbstables@bellsouth.net
Old 09-28-2006, 07:40 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by trainmankjm
Re-installed correct master cylinder bled brakes no pedal. Installed rear calipers ( old pistons corroded) bled brakes pedal better but still not great. The car just won't stop like it should. Thinking about replacing the proportioning valve?? Could rotor runout be causing this??
trainman-start over-I know you dont like hearing that but a good bench bleed is very important.I dont know what year you have but these cars are a little touchy when it comes to bleeding brakes.Do a search for bleeding,gravity bleeding "works" you do not "need" a power bleeder especially for 1 car.Here is a recent thread.http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1507458

Last edited by ...Roger...; 09-28-2006 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:00 AM
RATT7
Pro

That was going to be my initial thought, master cylinder.

Get notified of new replies

To No Brake pressure

Quick Reply: No Brake pressure