C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling Steering Column (Big Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 10:08 PM
RocketSapp
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pulling Steering Column (Big Pics)

OK I have finally gotten some time to work on the car. I have decided that since there may be a few things that might have my key stuck in the ignition I am just going to pull the entire column. So, I have my steering column loose uner the dash and was going to seperate it from the power steering pump. However, I thought I would ask a quick question.

On page 9-60 of my service manual I have good ole figure 99... Not exactly what I have on the car but really close for what I am asking about here...

Look in the lower left hand corner of the image and you will see parts O and Z. O is the "bolt" that clamps the shaft into Z. There are two bolts on Z that connect it to the flexable link to the power steering gear box. Is the best way to seperate this part to pull the two bolts on Z or to loosen O and take the shaft out?

So.... A or B?

I am leaning towards A. Getting a socket on the back side of A works great as long as there is no ratchet is attached. And my wrenches have too much meat to get in around the bracket.

As a second question... Once I get this seperated and the all the bolts and such loose will the lever with the cable connected to the Trans fit throught the hole that is in the firewall?

Tim Sapp
Old 11-08-2006, 10:11 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

B will be easier to get free, not sure about #2
Old 11-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull apart the rag joint by loosening B. (should be 2 of them) A (upper rag half ) will be MUCH easier to remove from the lower shaft once the column is out. Be sure the column is completely free before prying on that joint. You don't want to break the collapseable safety part inside (don't know the proper part name) That's how I did mine.
Eddie
Old 11-08-2006, 10:31 PM
jayr
Instructor

I just installed a new rag on a 81. Take the 2 bolts out. B I douth
if taken the inner flange bolt out will loosen the flange on the steering
shaft as they look like alot of rustfrom age. I don't think you can pull
steering column with this flange on thru the firewall and if you pound
on it you could do damage to the steering column as this is collasable.
You can get on the bolts with a short open end. Make sure you use
a shouldered bolt if you installing a new rag joint. If they don't give
you the right bolts use the old ones. Because my new rag was pretty
thick, I had to put them on without the lock washers , which I will
reinstall after the rag compresses some.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:09 AM
Tony S
Intermediate

I did my key tumbler by just removing the steering wheel, horn button and a few other bits and pieces. You can push a clip with a long screw driver and out she falls.

Dont remove the column if you dont have to
Old 11-09-2006, 06:07 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony S
I did my key tumbler by just removing the steering wheel, horn button and a few other bits and pieces. You can push a clip with a long screw driver and out she falls.

Dont remove the column if you dont have to
Old 11-09-2006, 07:46 AM
Chuck-75
Instructor

if you take off just the "B" nuts this part wont fit through the firewall... you will have to remove bolt "A" then tap the part and try to pry open just a little with a screwdriver. ya might need a shot of WD40 to slip slide the part off the shaft.
good luck.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:53 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-75
if you take off just the "B" nuts this part wont fit through the firewall... .
If you plan on removing the firewall mounting plates to restore them, the whole assembly will come out as one. Plate & column. To replace my lower column bearing & rag joint...I pulled the whole thing out as one. Your rag joint is rusted pretty good (like mine was) and I had a hell of a time trying to slip it off, so I pulled the whole assembly. Painted & restored everything....
Eddie
Old 11-09-2006, 09:25 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

You must remove the two nuts (K) inside the car that hold the lower column plate to the dash panel. Once those two nuts are off, you will be able to go out under the hood and remove plate (N) by pulling it straight back. When you do this, you will find that bolt (M) on the passenger side is loose, the other bolt on the driver side is spot welded to the plate.

Now be sure to place the lower column lever in the full UP position. There is a cut-out in the dash that will allow you to pull the column straight back and the lever will pass through the cut-out.

You didn't mention if you have a standard (non-adjustable) column or a T&T. The removal and installation of either column is the same. However, if you are going to replace your ignition lock cylinder, the two columns are a bit different. You do not have to remove your steering column from the car in order to replace the lock cylinder. In fact, it is quite easy to do with the column in the car.

You might find these papers to be a big help.

Go to www.corvettefaq.com
Click on Jim Shea's Steering Papers
Click on Corvette Steering Papers in the upper right corner
If you have a T&T Steering Column click on the links and download:

Tilt & Telescoping Column 69-82 Disassembly & Repair Paper #1
(Remove strg wheel and replace lock cylinder)

Tilt & Telescoping Column 69-82 Disassembly & Repair Pics #1
(Drawings to assist in replacing lock cylinder)

Tilt & Telescoping Column 69-82 Disassembly & Repair Paper #2
(Drop and remove steering column)

If you have a standard steering column you will find three papers in the section under Std Column that takes you through the steps.

Hope that this helps.
Jim

I have found that removing nuts B and their lockwashers is the easiest way to uncouple the steering column from the flexible coupling on the gear. When reassembling the part, you just have to align the two bolts with the holes in the column flange.

By the way, when you tighten bolt A in your photo, you actually start to "wrap" or "pinch" the column flange around the column steering shaft. (The flange is slotted to allow the bolt to pull both sides together.) So many times you can completely remove bolt A and you will find that the flange is still very securely attached to the shaft (and not necessarily because of rust).

Remove the bolt, then turn the steering wheel so that the slot in the flange is pointing at you, take a big screwdriver and place it in the slot and try to pry the slot open by just a small amount. The flange should come right off.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:18 AM
RocketSapp
Pro

Jim,

Thanks for the help again... I am actually pulling the Column at your suggesting from my post about a week and a half ago.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ight=Stuck+Key

I just started another thread instead of digging that one back up.

I have no idea why type of column I have besides a T&T column. This is in a 76 that has been modified to use another steering wheel. (They got rid of the Vega style wheel before I got the car.)

Tim Sapp
Old 11-09-2006, 11:16 AM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Hi Tim,
If you need any help with the column internals give me a shout. Since you have the column out this is a good time to tighten the 4 bolts holding the tilt together.
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Pulling Steering Column (Big Pics)

Quick Reply: Pulling Steering Column (Big Pics)