C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700R4 2-3 shift point too high. How to correct? (C3)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2001, 04:38 AM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 700R4 2-3 shift point too high. How to correct? (C3)

My 700R4 won’t shift out of 2nd and into 3rd under WOT at normal operating temperature. It shifts fine anywhere from light to moderate throttle at all times (It does seems to be able to do WOT 2nd to 3rd shifts before the transmission warms up completely). I have experimented with the T.V. cable adjustment without any luck.
I told the transmission man who set it up that I wanted it to shift somewhere between ~5200 RPM and ~5700 RPM at WOT. He suggested and installed a TH-350 governor saying that it would produce higher shift points due to it having lighter weights. He indicated that the TH-350 governor would get my WOT shift points close to what I was looking for. He said that the stock 700R4 governor would make it shift at ~4500 RPM and that the TH-350 governor would make it shift at ~5500 RPM.
The governor may or may not be the problem. I don’t know enough about how an automatic transmission functions to diagnose it for myself. My transmission was “used” before I installed it into my Vette.
I read some information somewhere on the Internet that led me to believe that my 2nd to 3rd WOT shift problem could even be caused by worn clutches. Is this correct?
My 1st to 2nd shift is too soft as well. (the 1-2 shift is firmer before the transmission reaches normal operating temperature)
I have checked my line pressure and according to Chris at Bow Tie Overdrives, my reported values are fine.
After installing the 700R4, we adjusted my T.V. cable with the transmission pan removed insuring that the T.V. plunger made the full range of travel from idle to WOT.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Even web links to good transmission sites would help!

Quick Reply: 700R4 2-3 shift point too high. How to correct? (C3)