C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ProComp cylinder heads, documented problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 04:32 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

Default ProComp cylinder heads, documented problems?

Has anyone purchased these ProComp SBC Chevy cylinder heads and had problems. I know everyone has opinions, but I need real problems that have ocuured. I heard stories do me no good. I need real proof of them being an inferior product.
Performance Warehouse in Bristol, Tn is selling these as Canfield and RHS cylinder heads. I am about to take legal action to get them replaced with Canfield or RHS heads, any help will greatly appreciated. So far I found 7 other people locally that got the same heads as mine as RHS heads. My local shop that put them on had no idea either as he has put them on his own Nova and Chevelle and is as upset as we are. He is just not computer literate and took the warehouse suppliers word. Help!
Old 01-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

I understand, but, why any problem. They LIED. They substituted. Coke or Pepsi? They did not send you what you paid for.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:11 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
I understand, but, why any problem. They LIED. They substituted. Coke or Pepsi? They did not send you what you paid for.
Because what I paid for was either made in Ohio or Tennessee not in China via Australia. I could have bought these on ebay for 690$ Instead we were charges for a false product, in the law enforcement community we call that fraud and it is usually followed my a couple years sentence and some monetary restitution. If you dont think that is a problem then I have nice brand new pair of RHS heads to sell you for $1000
Old 01-19-2007, 06:18 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

How did you find out they are Pro Comp heads ? I think RHS bought some of their machinery/equipment from Pro Topline when they went under, sure this is not causing the confusion ?
Old 01-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

I was referring to YOUR request for Documented Problems. I simply stated in other terms that fraud is fraud. So, to be perfectly clear,
I AGREE WITH YOU.
And no, I don't want your f...ing Chinese heads.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

How do you know they are procomp?

RHS heads look the same?
Old 01-19-2007, 06:45 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Guru_4_hire
How do you know they are procomp?

RHS heads look the same?
Not by a long shot! That is a myth and why people are getting ripped off wide spread.
I called RHS and they said that they weren't theirs. John Williams from RHS stated that ALL of their cylinder heads have RHS in the head casting either at the end or under the valve cover. If you bought any head and were told it was RHS then it better have a big RHS stamped in it or you got screwed too. In the 90's protopline and procomp used this casting but once RHS bought protopline they started their own.

Then I called Procomp in California with the casting number PC3001-0512-0353 they said yes it was their head, looked at the production card and all the heads made on the day 05/12/06 are 210cc SBC heads. Every SBC head they make is stamped PC3001- then the second four number are the production date.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:49 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

I was referring to YOUR request for Documented Problems. I simply stated in other terms that fraud is fraud. So, to be perfectly clear,
I AGREE WITH YOU.
And no, I don't want your f...ing Chinese heads.
Ah, I understand now, the reason why I want other peoples problems with them so I have more then enough evidence for court if it get that far. My shop is going to talk to thew supplier next week but I figure they are going to tell him to fly a kite. Then I am going to have to take my local guy to court. The best thing I have going for me is the part number on the bill. It is straight out of their catalog and it shows a 197cc Canfield SBC aluminum head in it.
You sure you dont want them I will give them to your for $500. I do have crane springs, teflon seals and crane guideplates though for a roller cam in them. I am more worried about a valve dropping or something. I paid for pepsi and got commi tea!

Last edited by King Lear; 01-19-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:09 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Quote...."from China via Australia..."

G'day,
I was intrigued by the Australian connection. I do know of one manufacturer of Chev cylinder heads in Australia, and they are called RACER PRO cylinder heads. To the best of my knowledge, they are designed, cast and machined in Melbourne, Australia. Try racerpro@bigpond.com or www.racerpro.com and see what you think.

They're a small company, but the guys have a long history in Australian drag racing.

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
Old 01-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by King Lear
Ah, I understand now, the reason why I want other peoples problems with them so I have more then enough evidence for court if it get that far. My shop is going to talk to thew supplier next week but I figure they are going to tell him to fly a kite. Then I am going to have to take my local guy to court. The best thing I have going for me is the part number on the bill. It is straight out of their catalog and it shows a 197cc Canfield SBC aluminum head in it.
You sure you dont want them I will give them to your for $500. I do have crane springs, teflon seals and crane guideplates though for a roller cam in them. I am more worried about a valve dropping or something. I paid for pepsi and got commi tea!
Keep 'em. When the judge orders them to pay, he may order you to return them. Besides, they are EVIDENCE.
Glad we are on the same page .
Old 01-19-2007, 07:59 PM
mbeeman350
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07-'09

[QUOTE=King Lear;Then I called Procomp in California with the casting number PC3001-0512-0353 they said yes it was their head, looked at the production card and all the heads made on the day 05/12/06 are 210cc SBC heads. Every SBC head they make is stamped PC3001- then the second four number are the production date.[/QUOTE]

I never got any card or any kind of paperwork with my ProComp heads. Nor could I find any date or part stamping....just a PC3001 on the box..
Old 01-19-2007, 08:14 PM
mbeeman350
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07-'09

King Lear...ck out this recent thread on the PC heads, GO FAST has some positivve coments on the PC SB heads......

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1580679&page=3
Old 01-20-2007, 01:08 AM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mbeeman350
I never got any card or any kind of paperwork with my ProComp heads. Nor could I find any date or part stamping....just a PC3001 on the box..
It is on the head right above the exhaust ports. There is a number stamped on it.It is right on the center of the head between the bottom of the valve cover and the top of the exhaust ports. Here is a pic!
Attached Images  

Last edited by King Lear; 01-20-2007 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:48 AM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by aussiejohn
G'day,
I was intrigued by the Australian connection. I do know of one manufacturer of Chev cylinder heads in Australia, and they are called RACER PRO cylinder heads. To the best of my knowledge, they are designed, cast and machined in Melbourne, Australia. Try racerpro@bigpond.com or www.racerpro.com and see what you think.

They're a small company, but the guys have a long history in Australian drag racing.

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
ok, i see

Last edited by King Lear; 01-20-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:08 AM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Keep 'em. When the judge orders them to pay, he may order you to return them. Besides, they are EVIDENCE.
Glad we are on the same page .
LOL

Last edited by King Lear; 01-20-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:16 AM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Shoot him, kill him, stab em, watched one to many
reruns of Blazzing Saddles.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 01-20-2007 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:41 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Pro Comp used New Zealand made Pro Action cylinders heads as a basis to create thier "knock-offs". Pro Action in New Zealand had money problems about 3 years ago, filed for bankruptcy which in NZ shuts down your whole operation. About 2 years ago, Com Cams bought all Pro Actions operations and is now selling the cylinderheads uner the RHS brand of cylinder heads. Comp Cams was started as a cylinder head shop in the early 1970's by Scooter Brothers and then bought some cam designs from Harold Brookshire at Ultra-Dyne cams and started Comp Cams from the RHS shop. All the above is a TRUE statement and I bought a set of Pro-Comp heads 2 years ago from Ebay and after looking at them promptly assembled them and sold them to some happy Ebay buyer for his Camaro.
Good luck to all who want to use these heads, actually I wish you BAD LUCK because I love my country and hate the undermining of American manufacturing concerns that will allow the Chinese to overwhelm us in any conflict we may enter with them. The USA won WWII against the Germans/Japanese by out manufacturing their opponents (many German weapons were far better than ours but, luckilly for us, they were being lead by a Madman who didn't correctly utilize their strengths and had too few natural resources to call upon to produce them in mass quantites.)

Get notified of new replies

To ProComp cylinder heads, documented problems?

Old 01-20-2007, 08:07 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
Pro Comp used New Zealand made Pro Action cylinders heads as a basis to create thier "knock-offs". Pro Action in New Zealand had money problems about 3 years ago, filed for bankruptcy which in NZ shuts down your whole operation. About 2 years ago, Com Cams bought all Pro Actions operations and is now selling the cylinderheads uner the RHS brand of cylinder heads. Comp Cams was started as a cylinder head shop in the early 1970's by Scooter Brothers and then bought some cam designs from Harold Brookshire at Ultra-Dyne cams and started Comp Cams from the RHS shop. All the above is a TRUE statement and I bought a set of Pro-Comp heads 2 years ago from Ebay and after looking at them promptly assembled them and sold them to some happy Ebay buyer for his Camaro.
Good luck to all who want to use these heads, actually I wish you BAD LUCK because I love my country and hate the undermining of American manufacturing concerns that will allow the Chinese to overwhelm us in any conflict we may enter with them. The USA won WWII against the Germans/Japanese by out manufacturing their opponents (many German weapons were far better than ours but, luckilly for us, they were being lead by a Madman who didn't correctly utilize their strengths and had too few natural resources to call upon to produce them in mass quantites.)
Old 01-20-2007, 08:20 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Allies

King Lear and Solid,
Nice patriotic thoughts, and I support you. Don't forget though, that in every major conflict in the 20th Century that the USA was involved in, Australians were at your side in both support and combat roles. And New Zealanders, too.

I agree with you that I would rather pay more for a locally built product that employs a fellow citizen than buy some cheap import where the rich factory owners exploit really cheap labour, but don't close your eyes to the products of a foreign country that has had a long and friendly association with you in war AND peace.

After all, that's one of the reasons I bought a Corvette.

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
Old 01-20-2007, 08:30 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by aussiejohn
King Lear and Solid,
Nice patriotic thoughts, and I support you. Don't forget though, that in every major conflict in the 20th Century that the USA was involved in, Australians were at your side in both support and combat roles. And New Zealanders, too.

I agree with you that I would rather pay more for a locally built product that employs a fellow citizen than buy some cheap import where the rich factory owners exploit really cheap labour, but don't close your eyes to the products of a foreign country that has had a long and friendly association with you in war AND peace.

After all, that's one of the reasons I bought a Corvette.

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
I know, I was just mad at first that I got something I didn't pay for. However, the more research I have done on these heads, I can't find one person that has any problems with them on a SBC. Some problems with their sbf and bbc heads, but so far no sbc chevy problems. If it is true that they are using the old pro-topline\rhs casting then they should be pretty decent heads as longs the internal parts are made of good quality control. So if I said anything to offend anyone I am sorry that I let my temper get the best of me. We went out in my father in laws vette today with the 190cc procomp heads and they were really performing well. We are just more upset that we paid for a reputable USA head and got chinese stuff. If they had been upfront and said that I probably would have bought them anyway for me, I wanted aluminum cylinder heads, my father in law would have went with Dart Iron eagle heads. He is more upset then I am.

Last edited by King Lear; 01-20-2007 at 08:34 PM.

Quick Reply: ProComp cylinder heads, documented problems?