C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlamp Warning Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:10 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Headlamp Warning Switch?

Can anyone tell me where to find the adjustment screw that contacts the microswitch to turn off the headlamp warning light?

The service manual talks about how to adjust it but does not show it.

cc
Old 02-26-2007, 09:04 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Ok, I found the microswitch but there is no screw that contacts it. The switch contacts a part of the bracket. The only adjustment I could see was for the arm that comes out of the vacuum canister.

As it sits now, the switch comes about 1/4" from contacting the bracket. If the headlight bucket were to come up a little further into the open position I believe the switch would come in contact with the bracket.

Surely some of you who've been doing your own restorations had to adjust this when you re-assembled your headlights.

cc
Old 02-26-2007, 09:22 AM
justanotherdoe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This reply is from memory since it has been a year since I did this to my lights, but I recall two adjustments.

First, make sure the actuator can extend the light assembly all the way to the lock. The clevis can be screwed out at the end of the actuator to set this.

Then, set the headlight adjusting screw (looks more like a bolt actually) which comes down through the rear link to fine tune.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:06 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Originally Posted by justanotherdoe
This reply is from memory since it has been a year since I did this to my lights, but I recall two adjustments.

First, make sure the actuator can extend the light assembly all the way to the lock. The clevis can be screwed out at the end of the actuator to set this.

I think that's the problem the unit is not locking. I'll make that adjustment.

Originally Posted by justanotherdoe
Then, set the headlight adjusting screw (looks more like a bolt actually) which comes down through the rear link to fine tune.

I found that bolt/screw.

Thanks justanotherdoe!

cc
Old 02-26-2007, 11:49 AM
justanotherdoe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're welcome!

Just make sure you keep the actuator rod from spinning when you turn the clevis. If you don't, you can create a vacuum leak in the actuator.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:17 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Just one other thing I had to do...adjust the headlight up limiter bolt. That was keeping the bucket from opening enough to contact the switch.

Once I got that set, I had to use the other adjusters to get it lined up while closed and to get it to close all the way.

Took two hours to get it all figured out and adjusted and re-adjusted. I hate taking those springs off and putting them back on.

cc
Old 02-27-2007, 05:56 AM
LYLE
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I made a tool to pull the springs off. A piece of strong piano wire with a hook on the end and a 1/2" rod T-handle with a hole in the center to hook the wire. You can hook the spring loop and pull them off or on real easy with one hand while holding the assembly from moving with the other hand on the tool.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:19 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

LYLE, that's cool. I wondered if a brake tool would work but decided there probably wasn't enough room on either side for it.

cc

Get notified of new replies

To Headlamp Warning Switch?

Quick Reply: Headlamp Warning Switch?