C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake update..and new question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 09:23 PM
1980 razz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake update..and new question

aloha all..so we put the vette (my 1980) up on blocks so we could figure out why the brakes were so soft..lottsa fun and problems down there..first the fluid somehow became very dirty so u drained it all..after checking and removing the calipers we found out one was leaking..heres the worst part ,someone had illigally cut one rotor so it was normal on one side but about 1/4 inch left on the inside ..talk about over turning the rotors huh,,hehe..my buddy says u gotta replace them all and i know hes right but i cant afford it right now..we put back together and i do have brakes again even though they pull really bad to the left where the bad caliper is..my question is if i find another rotor and replace the overturned one and rebuild the caliper will this hold me for a while..if so what excactly do i need to rebuild the front caliper and replace the rotor and does anyone have one kicking around they could sell me cheap :p: because the new rotor i add will be of different thickness than the others will this cause problems??
Old 10-08-2001, 09:45 PM
nunus79
Drifting

Default Re: brake update..and new question (1980 razz)

1980razz
Brakes are one of those things that you HAVE TO do right. Find the money to get a pair of new rotors. Replacing the fronts are a piece of cake vs. the rears. Very straight forward, typical Chevy spindle. If the calipers are already SS sleeved, a rebuild should be ok. If they are original, be prepared to buy new sleeved calipers all the way around.

Besides risking the total lost of your investment, don't risk your life or the lives of others. DO IT RIGHT!
Old 10-08-2001, 11:27 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: brake update..and new question (nunus79)

I agree, also, SS calipers are only $60 a peice at autozone or advanced, one of the two, plus they have a lifetime warrenty. Its not to bad in my opinion.

Daniel

Get notified of new replies

To brake update..and new question

Quick Reply: brake update..and new question