C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine balance - from HB to Flexplate

Old 03-24-2007, 03:37 PM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 356 Likes on 248 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Default Engine balance - from HB to Flexplate

Engine is internally balanced 396 SB. Harmonic balancer is neutral balance, but flexplate (GMPP 14088761) has a weight on it. Why? Summit lists this a HD replacement for stock and their description lists this for internal engine balance, external balance style. What gives?
Old 03-24-2007, 10:53 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by ratflinger
Engine is internally balanced 396 SB. Harmonic balancer is neutral balance, but flexplate (GMPP 14088761) has a weight on it. Why? Summit lists this a HD replacement for stock and their description lists this for internal engine balance, external balance style. What gives?
All ... repeat ALL one-piece rear main seal SBC motors have a "hybrid" balance when OE ... damper is neutral but ALL OE 1pcrms SBC have a counterweight on rear. You can take the weight off but if assembly was balanced w/ wgt ... then you know what'll result... right? Do you KNOW it was internally balanced ... what does shop say that balanced motor? I'm not aware of source that sells 1pcrms sbc flexplates that do NOT have a weight.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:21 AM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 356 Likes on 248 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Rotating assembly is an Eagle internal balanced kit & the machine shop checked and verified the balance when they assembled the short block. If the weight doesn't matter then OK, but I don't want to be hanging unnecessary weights on a balanced engine. I have seen neutral balance flexplates offered at Summit. It puzzles me as to why a weighted flexplate would be hung on an internally balanced engine.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:49 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by ratflinger
Rotating assembly is an Eagle internal balanced kit & the machine shop checked and verified the balance when they assembled the short block. If the weight doesn't matter then OK, but I don't want to be hanging unnecessary weights on a balanced engine. I have seen neutral balance flexplates offered at Summit. It puzzles me as to why a weighted flexplate would be hung on an internally balanced engine.
Because ... 1pcrms are NOT true internal ... they're a hybrid. Why GM didn't go to the trouble to strengthen the block while they were lightening the design ... so that larger crank counterweights would fit inside ... was ... I'M GUESSING ... not cost-efficient. Ask the shop ... did they use a stock OE-type counterweighted flexplate to balance ... or factor for it? Verify it! Get it wrong & you won't be pleased.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine balance - from HB to Flexplate

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine balance - from HB to Flexplate