C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a LSX motor setup anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 12:05 AM
CorvetteDave01
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking about a LSX motor setup anyone?

Anyone read the new Super Chevy article with the '69 Camaro, Reggie Jackson 454 LSX (GM iron block) buildup? 640hp on pump gas and a 10.8 1/4! These motors can be taken to 2,000 hp, 4.25 bore and 482 ci with max stroke, forthcoming tall-deck block to 510 ci. The regular deck block is supposed to cost only $1,900. This with some AFR Mongoose heads and a 454, salvaged efi setup off of a LS motor and it would seem that you have a reasonably priced sbc setup, probably priced comparatively to a Dart Little M setup (like the 427 I am doing) but more cubic inches and better flowing head capability.

Just would need to get it into the C3, which would likely be beyond what I could do, still an interesting option that I am sure someone on this forum will do soon.

Last edited by CorvetteDave01; 04-04-2007 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:19 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Several on this forum have already done it.
BTW - nice looking car.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

It is a good idea, but the salveged EFI setup would not be the best choice if you want big power. The stock computer can only read up to around 75 lb injectors. Additionally the stock FI setup you will automatically have to replace the injectors and the stock rails are good to about 700 hp depend on the year car they came off.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been waiting on the World Products Warhawk LS7X tall deck block and 12* heads for over a year now. I'm also considering the new GM LSX block, but it isn't being released until May. I will wait for the tall deck version of the GM LSX if I decide to go in that direction. Although the LSX will weigh ~100 lbs more than the Warhawk LS7X, I like the additional strength and durability of the iron block for high rpm, high power, high boost applications. From what I've seen on the dyno, the iron blocks make a little more power too due to increased cylinder wall and main bearing rigidity. The only thing bothering me about the GM LSX setup is that I haven't seen the specs on the heads yet. I'm sure they're based off of the C5R and I've read they will be 6-bolt per cylinder (similar to the Warhawk LS7X, but the arrangement for the 2 additional bolts are incompatable between the two blocks).

Either way, it'll be another twin turbo deal similar to my first one, but based on one of these aftermarket LSx blocks and 12* heads rather than the Dart tall deck Iron Eagle (Rocket Block) and Dart CNC 18* heads I used before. I'm also planning to up the power level and boost from 1200hp/~25psi from the first TT 427, to around 1500 hp/~30 psi on this 427 LSX build up, pump gas/street driver again.

It's been a frustrating wait, but at least now there appears to be aftermarket block options. I'll just be glad when they are finally available for purchase, other than to insiders.

Last edited by Monty; 04-03-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:51 PM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Monty
I'm also planning to up the power level and boost from 1200hp/~25psi from the first TT 427, to around 1500 hp/~30 psi on this 427 LSX build up, pump gas/street driver again.
What about 1500 hp is streetable?
What happend to your first TT 427 motor? blow it? or just wanting to upgrade?
I like your plan, when i can afford to build my engine it will be a fully forged twin turbo big block, 454 or 498 but with low boost. I have no use or expertise to handle over 1000hp on the street.
I originally was gonig to save up for a world block with improved wall thickeness and cooling but the lsx is looking good with its 6 bolt mains per cylinder.
Reading those magazines always get me dreaming big...heck this forum does the same.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Nearly any turbo motor is streetable, just manage the throttle/load and it will drive like any other engine. Turbo motors generally use relatively mild cams and moderate static compression, so when not under load/boost they are very easy to drive. It's only when you get into the throttle with aggression does the beast come alive.

Unfortunately I got distracted with offshore powerboats (Cigarette Racing Team) and sold the '82 with the 1200hp TT SBC 427 to help pay for a 38' Cigarette and a pair of Dart Big M 700hp 540's. My family situation has matured, 2 kids (currently 4 years old and a 4 month old) so the Cig wasn't too practical anymore. Anyway, I'm back into the car hobby and am in the process of building a new car. The guy that bought my car turned it into a full race car - back half, roll cage, etc, but I'd be very surprised if he hurt that motor. It was over-engineered and built with top quality parts, even at 1200hp hp on pump gas it was tuned very conservatively.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:46 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Monty, they closed the Hawaii drag strip. So all those guys are kind of out of luck. Early last year was the first time I saw guys showing up at the road racing track with their C-5's with cloned in 427 LS motors. They told me that they were getting them complete for about $17,000. I'm not sure how close these motors were to the C-5R or C-6R.

They sure did sound nice with full long tube headers and straight unmuffled pipes
Old 04-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Did the guy from Hawaii that bought my '82 show up? I asked a few weeks ago if anyone knew what he ended up doing with that car.

Selling that car is the biggest regret of my life. I'm the poster child for the saying "the best two days of a boat owners life are the day you buy it and the day you sell it." The offshore pwoerboat scene was/is alot of fun, but the cost/benefit is hard to justify in the midwest for me.

But I look at this as an opportunity to build an even better/cooler car (to me).
Old 04-03-2007, 11:28 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

But I look at this as an opportunity to build an even better/cooler car (to me).
hurry the hell up.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

No kidding. But I've got an endless list of excuses...job promotion, beer, football season, beer, newborn baby, beer, summer boating season, beer, new garage being built, wine, new kitchen and home remodel, wine, home theater diversions, wine, but most importantly World Products has had delay after delay on their Warhawk blcoks/heads for over a year now, and now GMPP is announcing their LSX stuff but of course it's not due to ship until May.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:37 AM
CorvetteDave01
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I should have been more clear. I am talking about the GM LSX iron block and I don't think anyone has any yet as they aren't quite out yet are they? The first one went into that Camaro I referenced earlier.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

No, they're not for sale yet to the general public. The standard deck version is supposed to be released in May, with the tall deck version TBD. Only guys like Warren Johnson/Reggie Jackson have had the opportunity to work with the very limited initial production/test run.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:22 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Did the guy from Hawaii that bought my '82 show up? I asked a few weeks ago if anyone knew what he ended up doing with that car.
Out of all my Hawaiin friends all they ever heard were rumors of "who, what, and Where it was. I even heard a tail about how the car is in southern Cal. and the owner fly's over to do things with it. Kind of the like the Merlin Blower car. It is not really functional. It's a novelty item that is a toy and show car.

Some people have the luxury of just looking at and polishing their cars.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

It was certainly functional when I sold it to him. I drove that car around as often as I could. Unfortunately, it wasn't often enough and my interest was into offshore powerboating at the time. I never should have sold that car...
Old 04-04-2007, 11:05 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Let just imagine that it got a spooled, narrowed, 4 link with roll cage (back halfed) With some monster McNeary 33 X18.5 tires. The first time he makes a right hand turn at the stop sign the ratching jerky feel seems like something is going to break.

The car is made for only going in a straight line.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

I know his intent was to race the car, and I know the chassis shop that took delivery of the car from me back-halved it, installed a full cage, gutted the interior and installed a sheetmetal tranny tunnel, air/liquid intercooler in the passenger seat location, and installed larger turbos, etc. I just didn't know if he (Jason) ever actually took delviery of it, and it sounds like that is still unknown I guess. When I found out how much they changed the car I questioned why he bought it rather than than just building what he wnated from scratch. Obviously when I built it, I built it to be a street machine and put alot of effort and money into making it handle well. All that VBP suspension, Speedway Engineering swaybars, etc probably ended up in the dumpster or sold cheap. It's too bad because that car ran very well, handled well, and was reliable.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:01 PM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know his intent was to race the car, and I know the chassis shop that took delivery of the car from me back-halved it, installed a full cage, gutted the interior and installed a sheetmetal tranny tunnel, air/liquid intercooler in the passenger seat location, and installed larger turbos, etc. I just didn't know if he (Jason) ever actually took delviery of it, and it sounds like that is still unknown I guess. When I found out how much they changed the car I questioned why he bought it rather than than just building what he wnated from scratch. Obviously when I built it, I built it to be a street machine and put alot of effort and money into making it handle well. All that VBP suspension, Speedway Engineering swaybars, etc probably ended up in the dumpster or sold cheap. It's too bad because that car ran very well, handled well, and was reliable.
What did you let it go for? under 24k and I'll be pissed.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

No need to be pissed then

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about a LSX motor setup anyone?

Quick Reply: Thinking about a LSX motor setup anyone?