C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

74 PW Tension Spring Failure - R/R

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 11:30 AM
S489
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 74 PW Tension Spring Failure - R/R

tension spring on power window regulator failed. sounded like an explosion! have replacement on order; plan to replace this weekend. are there any good instructions for replacing the tension spring? does the assemble have to come out of the door or can it be installed in the door, any gotcha's, etc., etc.? my search for instructions has not turned up any of value so far . . .

thanks in advance

Last edited by S489; 04-06-2007 at 11:43 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 04-06-2007, 01:09 PM
S489
Burning Brakes

okay, finally found this:
http://content.madirect.com/pdf/602135.PDF
although not terribly clear . . . also, the original spring is broken, so i cannot make a diagram and reinstall using my home made diagram. any help with this is appreciated . . .
Old 04-08-2007, 04:01 PM
S489
Burning Brakes

guess i'll let you know how it turns out - parts should arrive early next week
thanks
Old 04-09-2007, 08:17 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

They have the same instructions on Ecklers site nothing on spring position oh well good luck
Old 04-10-2007, 09:35 AM
S489
Burning Brakes

got the assembly out of one door last night:

throw away the internet instructions;
tear out that page in the service manual too;
they're not just wrong-they're (can't use that language)
Old 04-10-2007, 04:00 PM
Marv
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced mine on a 1979 without pulling the regulator assembly out. Got the replacement from Doc Rebuild. With the window ALL the way up the spring is unwound so it didn't take much force to reach in and put the new spring in place and wrap the outer end around the anchor pin like that PDF instruction shows. It seems it can only install one way so that it is wound up when the window is down and then the opposite. Good luck.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:53 AM
S489
Burning Brakes

Marv, you are the MAN!!! you must have some kind of gorilla grip!!! i tried installing the spring inside the door, then tested, but it was like the spring wasn't doing it's job right.
took out all of the inards, installed the spring with about 1/2 round of compression (took two of us), then put it in the vise the get the gear lined up with the frame to insert a temporary bolt. then installed the broke looking octopus in the door. making all the connections inside the door was a PITA, then bolted on the motor, then removed the temporary bolt.
after all that, it works like it used to, but the motor still needs rebuilding.
anyway, more power to those with the grip man, i could never have done it that way!!!!
thx
Old 08-08-2012, 12:50 PM
travelerbob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Regulator spring broken!!

Originally Posted by Marv
I replaced mine on a 1979 without pulling the regulator assembly out. Got the replacement from Doc Rebuild. With the window ALL the way up the spring is unwound so it didn't take much force to reach in and put the new spring in place and wrap the outer end around the anchor pin like that PDF instruction shows. It seems it can only install one way so that it is wound up when the window is down and then the opposite. Good luck.
I sure hope you are right!! Mine broke when window was comming down. I thought I got shot!!. It fell out and is laying in bottom of door. The bent finger an the outer end snapped off. Wonder what damage it would do to not replace it. Window goes up and down with no problem. It just coasts an inch or so going down.

Get notified of new replies

To 74 PW Tension Spring Failure - R/R

Quick Reply: 74 PW Tension Spring Failure - R/R