C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mandrel bent exhaust kits??

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 10:45 PM
supervette2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mandrel bent exhaust kits??

I highly doubt its this simply, but does anyone know of a kit that would exist in 3inch size. Anyways just a little update, I know its been a while over that long winter up here in MN. Im back on the project car. The procharged C3 lives and runs awesome All I need is the exhaust to be put on and pictures and videos will be updated to the forum. Im sure my neighbors are real happy with my car driving around the neighborhood all weekend loud as @#$%!!!

Any muffler suggestions would be appreciated. Ive been kinda looking at dna mufflers but still am not sure. Bassani seems like the best idea.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:47 PM
supervette2
Instructor

oh yeah if you can please post links to sound byte.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:43 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I probably will also do a 3 inch on my ProCharged '68, but I wonder how I could possibly use it...absolutely no traction on the 295's once the revs kick in.....How much boost do you get at 3,000 and 5,000rpms? I have 5lbs. and 10lbs. respectively.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:09 AM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

I don't believe there are any pre-made 3" kits for C3's. It's probably because the clearances are so tight by the time you get that size. Several on here have 3" pipes, but all of us had them either custom bent or went with the pre-bent pieces and welded them together ourselves. I only have ~1/8" clearance as the pipes go thru the crossmember .

Old 04-18-2007, 08:51 AM
Xakk
Burning Brakes

Once I get a new welder, I'm going to give this a go, only in 2 1/2. It's far from plug and play, but with a little time, patiences and a BFH, everything should be there to get it done.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Last edited by Xakk; 04-18-2007 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:30 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Jason,
I normally jack the rear of the car up underneath the rear-end. But your x-pipe is right under there. How do you jack up the rear-end now? I'll also be doing a 3" system in a few weeks with an x-pipe and am trying to decide where to put the x.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:28 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by tshort
Jason,
I normally jack the rear of the car up underneath the rear-end. But your x-pipe is right under there. How do you jack up the rear-end now? I'll also be doing a 3" system in a few weeks with an x-pipe and am trying to decide where to put the x.
I typically jack it up one side at a time, with the jack just behind the tranny x-member. I then place jack stands along the sides as close to the wheels that I can get them.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:37 AM
dk-corvette
Instructor

Wow Jason,

That is really a tight fit you have between the crossmember and your exhaust pipes. It's looking real nice and I guess the rubber-hangers you have there helps you avoiding problems with the pipes knocking on the member, or what? Also the flanges in front of the crossmember making it possible to remove the complete exhaust in one piece is a real nice feature.

I also noticed the nice red yoke cap you are using on the transmission yoke. Do you know what make that is? I have been looking for such ones for a while now without success so I would love to hear what you are using. I don't feel safe with the tiny straps I have down there at the moment.

Best regards, DK.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

Yeah, I use 3 Ford late model rubber hangers at the x-member to keep the system from rattling. The system comes out not too bad, but it can be a little bit of a hand full.

The red tranny yoke caps are Moroso caps. I can't remember what part number they are, but they fit the TH400 yoke in the Richmond great. Moroso has several sizes to fit almost any universal joint size commonly ran in rear-wheel drive cars. They color code them for easy identification. The caps are manufactured from 7075 aluminum and fully incase the bearing cap, spreading the load out over the complete cap. I run similar ones on my drag racing car for years now with no failures. Plus they're just pretty .
Old 04-21-2007, 06:22 PM
dk-corvette
Instructor

Hi Jason,

That was strange. A few weeks ago I mailed Moroso and asked if I could use one of there caps for my car. They told me that they didn’t have any for a 69 Vette!!!

So, what type of u-joint do you have on your yoke? Is it a 1330?

On my new driveline I’m having a solid yoke like this at the trans: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

But I would really like to have a set of the red caps at the diff if they fits there? I’m running a 1330 joint at the diff. Do you think a set of the red ones will work here?

Best regards, DK.

Get notified of new replies

To Mandrel bent exhaust kits??

Quick Reply: Mandrel bent exhaust kits??