C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New engine and tranny in - wont turn over now!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 09:22 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Hook up the clutch linkage, depress the clutch, the clutch disk will center itself, (you can never get them perfectly centered with that stupid alignment tool ) and you will be able to turn the motor over

This is the reason that you had to pull the tranny in with the bolts, what you should do next time is depress the clutch and the tranny will slide all the way in very easily

Last edited by MotorHead; 04-29-2007 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:24 PM
brngrhd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has this flywheel clutch bell housing been together before if the flywheel too big for the bell housing? just throwing it out there.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Donnie Darko
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
I just got a rude PM from BBshark. Seems there are no flex plates on a manual. Please ignore my question, as I would hate for it to wind up killing someone.
This thread caught my eye since I have some experience installing clutches. I must confess I was pretty surprised when you posted that advice about flexplates too. Just curious...why did you post that? Posting bad information like that certainly isn't helping the person. Were you making a joke?

Last edited by Donnie Darko; 04-29-2007 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:45 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Donnie Darko
Hmmmm...this thread caught my eye since I have some experience installing clutches. I must confess I was pretty surprised when you posted that advice about flexplates too. Just curious...why did you post that? Posting bad information like that certainly isn't helping the person. Were you making a joke?

It wasn't advice at all. It was just a question, or an idea of something to consider. I'm not specifically familiar with manual setups but I have had motors not turning because something wasn't installed or aligned correctly.

It was just an idea, and a question. A simple..."Manuals don't have a flex plate."...would have been a perfect answer but calling it bad advice is just a spin.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

This is NOT directed at anybody. I direct this toward an idea.
"Flexplates" are used with automatic transmissions on GM,Ford, and Mopar.
Manual transmissions use a clutch. It is bolted to a "Flywheel" This is true on GM, Ford, Mopar, and my lawnmower.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:01 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
This is NOT directed at anybody. I direct this toward an idea.
"Flexplates" are used with automatic transmissions on GM,Ford, and Mopar.
Manual transmissions use a clutch. It is bolted to a "Flywheel" This is true on GM, Ford, Mopar, and my lawnmower.

And that is a PERFECT way to respond to someone who poses a flex plate as a possible place to look on a manual for such a problem.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:03 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NJVette72
Maybe he should lay off the caffeine

I'm new here and while I'm sure there are people who really know their stuff, but I bet the vast majority doesn't and the beauty of this forum is to be able to ask questions and pick peoples' minds whenever one is trying to troubleshoot a problem they might have with their perspective car.

I wouldn't have any idea as to what the problem could be but I hope he gets his car running fine
People that do not know should ask.
People that DO know should answer.
People should not guess, unless they qualify it as a guess.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:06 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

And that is a PERFECT way to respond to someone who poses a flex plate as a possible place to look on a manual for such a problem.
I GUESS so.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:15 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lvrpool32
I had the engine on a cradle, with the flywheel and clutch attached before I had set the valves...must have rotated the engine eover a dozen times whilst setting and then checking the valves.

The linkage is on the tranny, I have the shifter in the middle (out of gear) "wobbling around" and can spin the tailshaft so it doesnt seem to be stuck in gear.

The clutch fork is free, by that I mean if I push forward its easy to move (throw out bearing towards the back of the car) and if I push it backward I can feel it hit the fingers of the pressure plate (I can't move it much more forward by hand)

I will conect up the linkage tomorrow, and see what happens when I press the pedal.

Nick
I would pull it out, and check that the input spins freely. Then check that you have the correct parts. Prudence now may save much expense later.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:35 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Everything is concentric (bellhousing, crank, input shaft...), right?
Old 04-29-2007, 11:59 PM
Donnie Darko
Intermediate

I would pull it out, and check that the input spins freely. Then check that you have the correct parts. Prudence now may save much expense later.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:52 AM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By tight, I meant that the tranny went in most of the way into the bellhousing, had to draw it in with the bolts the last 1/4"..and I used a short wrench, there was little or no resistance.
...Maybe the pilot bushing was too small for the tip of the input shaft and when you forced the trans in over that last 1/4" you pressed the shaft in the bushing creating a lot of friction or wedging the bushing crooked in the hole, creating an interference...???

By the way, don't beat yourself up, you'll get it. I installed a clutch backwards once. Apparently the T56 uses a pull style clutch which installs with the hub facing the flywheel (unlike other clutches) FYI. Good thing I figured it out before I stepped on the clutch pedal.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:33 AM
NJVette77
Drifting

People that do not know should ask.
People that DO know should answer.
People should not guess, unless they qualify it as a guess.
This is true and while it's true that many people treat their cars better then their bodies when it comes to second and third opinions on a given issue, I wouldn't just take the advice of any one person here and hold it as gospel regardless of how knowledegeble they might or might not be.

I'm not up on all things car related and nor do I have to be to own a Vette and while I do have a good friend who works on them, it's always nice to be able to troubleshoot and fix it myself rather then running it off to him everytime.

I think sending someone a pm to pointout a mistake does nothing for the board in general other then to embarrass that person.

The board would be better served by posting the correct info and seeing that BBShark seems to know as per his pm to D-Boy, he hasn't even pointed out the mistake in this thread which would be more informative then knocking someone in a pm don't ya think?

A person's mechanical prowess shouldn't be religated to pm-form but rather shared openly
Old 04-30-2007, 08:03 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

OK..back to my original post and my original problem.............its fixed.

As some people suggested, I connected up the clutch, pressed the pedal a couple of times and voila...engine turns over....

thanx all.....

OK..back to what ever everyone else was talking about...I'm going back to work on the vette.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:23 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

As some people suggested, I connected up the clutch, pressed the pedal a couple of times and voila...engine turns over....

Sweet, so it just needed to be aligned. It's self aligning, so all you had to do was depress the pedal a few times and it does it for you? Great news.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:47 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Sweet, so it just needed to be aligned. It's self aligning, so all you had to do was depress the pedal a few times and it does it for you? Great news.
Is that a question or a statement?
Old 04-30-2007, 08:49 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Is that a question or a statement?

The first part, that ends in a period is a statement. Then came a question which ended in the question mark.

Get notified of new replies

To New engine and tranny in - wont turn over now!!

Old 04-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

thanx all.....

OK..back to what ever everyone else was talking about...I'm going back to work on the vette.

Glad to hear it was a simple fix.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:40 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Glad ya got it worked out. I never have liked useing that alignment tool, always have better luck useing my fingers, just feel around the edges of the pressure plate and make sure it feels the same all the way around
Old 04-30-2007, 12:42 PM
Donnie Darko
Intermediate

thanx all.....

Glad you got it working!! I'll put that fix you did in my memory banks if I ever run into that problem. Actually, I have had very good luck using clutch alignment tools to get things lined up. Some alignment tools are pretty much junk and some are really great.

Here's the set I use:
http://www.clutchtools.com/

Quick Reply: New engine and tranny in - wont turn over now!!