C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Engines? +'s & -'s?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:10 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman78
I drove it for the last two summers, once up to Bowling Green for the CI and to a few out of town drag racing events. Currently the car is stripped for paint and a few upgrades. Got to stay the fastest, with all these supercharged C-3 in the works. Once Monty get his going I'm out.

Last year I ran a T-56 with 3:55's. The problem with 3:55's is you are lugging around on the highway at 1700 rpms and only doing 78 mph. I didn't care for that to much. Thanks to a trade on the forum and Traccdog2, I got the back changed to 4:11. My cruise rpms should be around 2200 now.

Your going to like the LS1.
Even with my 3.70 gears i lugg around town thats why i want more like 3.90's or 4.10.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:27 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What gears do C5/C6 have?
Old 05-24-2007, 12:30 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FRSTR90

I guess my main reasons for the swap were:
-good performance
-better fuel economy
-something different and unique (not something that everyone has)
-lighten the car up on front
Add:
- reliability
- heat management
- satisfaction of doing it yourself
- latest technology

to your list above Go for it
Old 05-24-2007, 12:57 PM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by desi
What gears do C5/C6 have?
3.42 with the mn6 and mn12 trans. the ultimate combo for performance and all around use, drivability, and great economy is the 3.90 gear with the mn6 trans.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:54 AM
FRSTR90
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I appreciate everyone's info...

I still have a part of me that says go for the LS engines, but then I have another part that tells me to rebuild the engine and a fuel injection set up...

Have any of you or any one you know ran the original SB and with a hi perf. cam and an electronic fuel injection setup? How is its reliablity, throttle response, and it so on....

p.s. this doesn't mean the LS is not an option...
Old 05-25-2007, 02:59 AM
FRSTR90
Drifting

Originally Posted by Little Mouse
Sell the C3 buy a C5.
I cant replace a C3 with a C5... The C3 is its own kind... The problem I have a C5 is that from a distance I get them confused with a C4 or a newer Firebird.... So far, I have never encountered that problem with a C3!
Old 05-25-2007, 07:13 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

My last motor i had before the ls1 was a 360 ci zz4 roller cammed world products sportsman 2 heads tpi motor.You could always build up your motor and add a modified tpi setup,i got 22 mpg with 3.70 gears.There great for low end torque just not the greatest for high rpm use above 5500.Unless you spend alot more money for a superram.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1175...52841409DFmkyh

Last edited by PatsLs1vette; 05-25-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:26 PM
FRSTR90
Drifting

Originally Posted by PatsLs1vette
My last motor i had before the ls1 was a 360 ci zz4 roller cammed world products sportsman 2 heads tpi motor.You could always build up your motor and add a modified tpi setup,i got 22 mpg with 3.70 gears.There great for low end torque just not the greatest for high rpm use above 5500.Unless you spend alot more money for a superram.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1175...52841409DFmkyh
Pat, I hate you! JK!
1973 Corvette with a dark blue metallic ( is that your original color?), that had a TPI and now has an LS engine..

That is exactly what my car use to be and will be put back to in the future! It was originally a dark blue metallic, with the blue interior ( It's been converted to black and like that it will stay)..

I guess, I'll have to get a fuel injected BB!

Just curious, what options came with your 73 originally?
Old 05-25-2007, 07:30 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Pat, I hate you! JK!
1973 Corvette with a dark blue metallic ( is that your original color?), that had a TPI and now has an LS engine..

That is exactly what my car use to be and will be put back to in the future! It was originally a dark blue metallic, with the blue interior ( It's been converted to black and like that it will stay)..

I guess, I'll have to get a fuel injected BB!

Just curious, what options came with your 73 originally?
Its actually electronblue from a c5 vette ,but was originally medium blue with dark blue interior,power windows,pw locks,air,tilt,telescoping,A/C,no deluxe interior,
Old 05-25-2007, 09:09 PM
FRSTR90
Drifting

Originally Posted by PatsLs1vette
Its actually electronblue from a c5 vette ,but was originally medium blue with dark blue interior,power windows,pw locks,air,tilt,telescoping,A/C,no deluxe interior,
Well I guess they are some what different... Good looking car! Nothing grabs my attention more than a '73! That might be because they are different from all the other C3's
Old 05-25-2007, 11:19 PM
73ls1
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 32 Posts

I put a ls1 in my 73 roadster about a year ago. I love driving the 73 now. It has about 140 more horsepower than the L48 and gets 18 in town,24 on highway. It cost me about $6000 and I did all the work myself. The best part is going to shows and watching people check the ls1 out.I get asked all kind of questions . I checked your profile and I see you are are from Illinois. What city are you from? Here are some photos of My vette.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:30 PM
FRSTR90
Drifting

Originally Posted by totop73
I put a ls1 in my 73 roadster about a year ago. I love driving the 73 now. It has about 140 more horsepower than the L48 and gets 18 in town,24 on highway. It cost me about $6000 and I did all the work myself. The best part is going to shows and watching people check the ls1 out.I get asked all kind of questions . I checked your profile and I see you are are from Illinois. What city are you from? Here are some photos of My vette.

Hey buddy,
I believe your car and I have met before...
I am from Rochester, Ill...
I believe you attended the Swapfest at mid-america this year? and did the autocross?

You have a nice looking car! What all have you done to it?
Old 05-25-2007, 11:57 PM
palamesa
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK TOTOP73....You are my hero. I just got my LS1 yesterday. It's still in the back of the truck. Like you, I'll be doing all of my own work. I have a boat load of questions for you. I'd like to PM you and exchange info and maybe give you a call.....Glenn P
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...Picture001.jpg
Old 05-26-2007, 12:16 AM
FRSTR90
Drifting

palamesa... I couldn't go any longer without saying this... The view from your house looks beautiful!!
Old 05-26-2007, 12:19 AM
palamesa
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, I could just sit and look at that C3 body all day. The wife, now that's another story. I have to move all my stuff tomorrow.
If you're ever in San Diego, look me up....gp
Old 05-26-2007, 01:13 AM
L82RedShark
Intermediate

I appreciate everyone's info...

I still have a part of me that says go for the LS engines, but then I have another part that tells me to rebuild the engine and a fuel injection set up...

Have any of you or any one you know ran the original SB and with a hi perf. cam and an electronic fuel injection setup? How is its reliablity, throttle response, and it so on....

p.s. this doesn't mean the LS is not an option...
I too was considering and ls conversion, but I have chosen to go the route of fuel injecting the existing engine. I plan to use the efi set up from this company. http://www.firstfuelinjection.com/products.htm Their intake design seems to have corrected all the short comings of the factory tpi intake.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:17 AM
74batmobile
Racer

IS there any place that sells the conversion kits?

Get notified of new replies

To LS Engines? +'s & -'s?

Old 05-26-2007, 10:51 AM
palamesa
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm in the early phase of doing my conversion and it looks to me like different vendors have solutions to different parts of the puzzle to make it all work. For example, I'll be going to Jegs for motor, trans mounts, speartech for wiring harness conversion, local shops for drive shaft, AC update, etc. I don't think that there is a universal "Kit" from one vendor. I'll be documenting every step of my project and I'll keep you guys posted. The photo's that TOTOP73 posted are a major inspiration. How can you top that for a C3? By the way, you are Ca. smog exempt so if you decided to do yours, it would be MUCH easier then the 76' I'm doing......GP
Old 05-26-2007, 11:17 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by palamesa
I'm in the early phase of doing my conversion and it looks to me like different vendors have solutions to different parts of the puzzle to make it all work. For example, I'll be going to Jegs for motor, trans mounts, speartech for wiring harness conversion, local shops for drive shaft, AC update, etc. I don't think that there is a universal "Kit" from one vendor. I'll be documenting every step of my project and I'll keep you guys posted. The photo's that TOTOP73 posted are a major inspiration. How can you top that for a C3? By the way, you are Ca. smog exempt so if you decided to do yours, it would be MUCH easier then the 76' I'm doing......GP
If your any good with wiring,you can use your factory fbody harness without sending it to speartech or others and save hundreds.Theres only a few wires that get hooked up for power and few to ground thats it.I made a little fuse box up and ran them to it.This is exactly why my whole conversion only cost 1800.00.Ls1tech in there conversion section has a faq questions showing the harness mods.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312119

Last edited by PatsLs1vette; 05-26-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:28 AM
palamesa
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Pat....I hope I'm not hijacking this thread. I'd like to talk to you off line about your swap. I send you a PM to get your info.
I have the entire under hood harness from the donor car. Most guys who do this conversion don't have to worry about having all the original donor car smog equipment operational in their project car. I'd bet you were able to delete most of the smog sensors in your computer. I have to have all the 2002 smog sensors working in my 76'. This means adding a tank sensor (whatever that is) and who knows what else. That's why I'll probably need some profession help with wiring. Getting all the basic stuff operational should be too bad.....gp

Quick Reply: LS Engines? +'s & -'s?