C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pertronix I, II problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 04:16 PM
73jst4fun
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pertronix I, II problems

Recently while checking compression on my engine/ disconnecting the coil wire, removing the plugs, and cranking 8 revolutions to get a reading upon reconnecting the coil wire the engine was hard to start and keep at an idle. After checking everything the only conclusion was to change the Pertronix, which I did. Gordonm wqs over and we got it running but then it was like a switch was turned and the engine just died. We changed the coil which was not giving a spark and the Pertronix unit and the engine ran again. Just wondering if this is what happens when a Pertronix unit gets damaged/goes bad. I've never had a coil go bad before so I have to base this on the Pertronix got damaged during the compression testing......
Old 05-29-2007, 04:37 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Not really adding anything here but that is why I switched from a Pertronics to the Breakerless SE that can be purchased through
M&H Fabricators
I've spoken with Tom there for length on several different problems I've had from Ignition systems to 1 wire alternators.They are always very helpful and easy to get ahold of
Old 05-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Michel B
Burning Brakes

Location: Ville de la Baie Quebec. A winner is just a loser who tried again.
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

A lot of people love them,, a lot of people hate them, Mine went bad 3 months after intallation, the car just died like turning a light switch. They do have the best warrantee. I replaced mine with crane cams because it has a rev limiter, Also the instructions with the crane states to make sure you have a risistor on the the circut. I did not have one so question myself about the pertronix. After reading a bit,,, this risistor wire was standard on my car (73), its use was mainlly to extend points and plug life considerably.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:06 PM
Jc3vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michel B
A lot of people love them,, a lot of people hate them, Mine went bad 3 months after intallation, the car just died like turning a light switch. They do have the best warrantee. I replaced mine with crane cams because it has a rev limiter, Also the instructions with the crane states to make sure you have a risistor on the the circut. I did not have one so question myself about the pertronix. After reading a bit,,, this risistor wire was standard on my car (73), its use was mainlly to extend points and plug life considerably.
Pertronix II suggests that you bypass the resistor wire. I have had a Pertronix II on my car for about a year and a half. I also have the Pertronix Flame Thrower II epoxy filled coil. So far no Problems. I went the cheap way. Next time I think I will go with the MSD standard pro billet distributor with tach drive and the MSD 6 Series Ignition.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:22 AM
73, Dark Blue 454
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I run the Petronix I (part number 1181) on four cars with the 45v "Flamethrower" coil..no problems ever, over the course of 4-5 years. I'm running a full 12v to this coil per their instruction. I simply removed the resistor wire and ran a white braided 12-14g wire from the "IGN" port of the fuse box to the coil. If you're running 12v to the stock coil, I would imagine things can get hot somewhere.

That's my story,..
Old 05-30-2007, 08:22 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I ran a Pertronix unit (original one) in my car for a couple of years with no problems. Then suddenly the car started to buck and backfire at various speeds including highway driving. It felt like the engine wanted to shut down. After a lot of troubleshooting I changed the Pertronix out for a Crane XR-1. I've been running the Crane for about 3 years now without issues. Also, the Crane was much easier to install because you don't have the magnetic ring to install. The Crane picks up it's signal directly from the distributor lobes.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:06 PM
BlueL36
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by pmullaly
Not really adding anything here but that is why I switched from a Pertronics to the Breakerless SE that can be purchased through
M&H Fabricators
I've spoken with Tom there for length on several different problems I've had from Ignition systems to 1 wire alternators.They are always very helpful and easy to get ahold of
I agree with the Breakerless SE. I put mine in 4 years ago and it has worked flawlessly. I got mine at Lectric Limited.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:19 PM
73jst4fun
Drifting

Thanks guys for all the info, looks like I damaged my unit when I did the compression test, should of disconnected the red wire from the coil, replaced the module with a spare I had and it runs fine now, I won't make that mistake again. There is a test procedure available from Pertronix showing how to test the module if it's bad or not, give them a call/tech service and they will email the test sheet to you, this way when it goes you can test the module.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:55 PM
70vert
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please specify Pertonix I or II. If Pertronix I, it is possible to burn it if the ingnition is left on without the motor running. I've been running II for several years without any problem.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:19 PM
73jst4fun
Drifting

Originally Posted by vettfixr
I ran a Pertronix unit (original one) in my car for a couple of years with no problems. Then suddenly the car started to buck and backfire at various speeds including highway driving. It felt like the engine wanted to shut down. After a lot of troubleshooting I changed the Pertronix out for a Crane XR-1. I've been running the Crane for about 3 years now without issues. Also, the Crane was much easier to install because you don't have the magnetic ring to install. The Crane picks up it's signal directly from the distributor lobes.
Thanks Vettfixr, the Crane XR-I looks like a good unit, I like the idea of the adjustable rev limiter, cutting out cylinders, so I ordered one today, from what I understand you really don't need a special coil either....Thanks...and about $30.00 cheaper than the Pertronix so you can carry a spare just in case... I find that Crane makes quality components, they just don't advertise like MSD and others....
Old 05-31-2007, 07:33 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 73jst4fun
Thanks Vettfixr, the Crane XR-I looks like a good unit, I like the idea of the adjustable rev limiter, cutting out cylinders, so I ordered one today, from what I understand you really don't need a special coil either....Thanks...and about $30.00 cheaper than the Pertronix so you can carry a spare just in case... I find that Crane makes quality components, they just don't advertise like MSD and others....
I use basically a stock chrome coil on mine which is still powered by the resister wire so no changes are required to the system whatsoever. The unit installs with only 2 screws directly to the distributor baseplate. just make sure you use the paste they supply when installing it.

Get notified of new replies

To Pertronix I, II problems

Quick Reply: Pertronix I, II problems