C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much POR 15 do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 10:37 AM
ZR1Blex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much POR 15 do I need?

Of those of you have applied POR 15 to your Corvette's frame and suspension, could you please tell me how much product you needed of each (i.e. Marine Clean, Metal Ready, POR 15 paint, Chassis coat Black) to complete the job? I want to make sure I order enough for my 79'. I should note that I will not be removing the body from the frame. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2007, 11:48 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

get the kit with the small cans, easier to work with. It will take about 6 small cans of POR15 to do the frame, about the same chassis coat. I didn't use the marine clean or metal ready, I used degreaser, a pressure washer and phosphoric etcher from home depot.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:29 PM
SLVRSHRK
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

I have redone the suspension, frame, radiator support and various other pieces.

I have used about .5 gallon of metal ready, 1 qt of tie coat primer, 1qt of chassis top coat, and 2 qts of POR 15 itself.

I didn't use the degreaser as I stripped everything with a wirebrush down to bare metal first.

I wouldn't suggest buying it all at once, since it has a shelf life of 6 mos or so. I would suggest buying as needed if you are doing the project over a period of time.

Also, check a local distributor or auto paint shop supply store. i found one locally that had POR-15 cheaper than on the website (and no shipping!)

By the way, you can clean it off your skin if you catch it in the first few hours by using acetone.

Good luck.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
get the kit with the small cans, easier to work with. .
Less waste and mess. Once open, clean the lid and the can seal real well, then place one layer of plastic from a bag between the can & lid. Seal it well. Mine lasted months without drying out.
Eddie
Old 06-02-2007, 06:44 PM
tsdorsey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good advice

This is all good info. I used the same amount of paint that SLVRSHRK did. 1qt is worth 1 coat of the frame and all major parts.

-Trevor
Old 06-03-2007, 06:25 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

I started out with a fresh frame, which had been boiled out and treated with phosphoric acid. I used 1 quart on the outside and poured another quart into each side of the frame rails (after sealing all of the vents and openings) and sloshed it around. I immediately drained them and used this material in the number 3 crossmember. It was a messy job and I would never recommend it to anyone, though the POR 15 seems to have coated everywhere I have been able to inspect.

When working with POR 15, ALWAYS get their solvent. You WILL need it for cleanup of hands, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To How much POR 15 do I need?

Quick Reply: How much POR 15 do I need?