C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 07:11 AM
STROKED 66
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shifter Problem...

Just out of the trans shop and my shifter will not go into reverse. Shifts into reverse when on the lift when the lockout rod is "pushed-up" over the "hump". Any ideas as to what may be happening here? My 71 LS5 is all stock and I hate to take the easy route and drop in my Hurst that is in ready standby. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:44 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I dont know that I understand what you are saying, but if the lock rod is not working, just remove it from the shifter. If that dont let it go over to reverse, adjust the rods so it will.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:07 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

If on the lift you can push up the lockout rod then its just not going high enough.Remove **** and pull out T and lockout rod (like wombvette said), make sure trans will shift to reverse if it will look at T and see why rod is too long.Sometimes it just needs pulled up a little and secured.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:53 AM
STROKED 66
Advanced

Thought there would be more to it than that... Thanks, I'll give it a try after work.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:10 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by STROKED 66
Thought there would be more to it than that... Thanks, I'll give it a try after work.
Try the easiest first If you want just unscew the shift **** a little ans see if that will allow it to go in.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:39 PM
depdep3
Instructor

I had a similar problem where I could not get into reverse. I could get into 1, 2, 3, or 4 with no problem. I could not get the shifter far enough to the left so that I could go up into reverse.

Removed the shift know and lock out rod, still the same.

The problem turned out to be some how the transmition was in reverse the whole time and thus was preventing the shifter from moving into the correct position to engage the reverse lever (thus locking it out). I disconnected the reverse linkage from the shifter at the transmition. Then took it out of reverse at the transmition, connected the linkage, and it works perfect ever since. Strange, but true.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:40 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by depdep3
I had a similar problem where I could not get into reverse. I could get into 1, 2, 3, or 4 with no problem. I could not get the shifter far enough to the left so that I could go up into reverse.

Removed the shift know and lock out rod, still the same.

The problem turned out to be some how the transmition was in reverse the whole time and thus was preventing the shifter from moving into the correct position to engage the reverse lever (thus locking it out). I disconnected the reverse linkage from the shifter at the transmition. Then took it out of reverse at the transmition, connected the linkage, and it works perfect ever since. Strange, but true.
Thats a Muncie shifter for you they have no internal failsafes in the shifter.(Hurst does)All the levers can move at anytime.With the Muncie shifter you can get into 2 gears at the same time if the internal trans. lockout is worn.Putting the trans in a forward gear and reverse is a common way of locking the driveshaft to tighten the u-joint bolts.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:43 PM
STROKED 66
Advanced

Default Shifter Problem (Fixed!)

Popped the ball, spring and L/O lever out, still would not go so I moved the reverse linkage adjustment nuts one complete revolution at a time and (5) turns later was the majic number... She's as smooth as any 36 year old beauty! Thanks for the Tech Assist!
Old 06-14-2007, 09:53 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by STROKED 66
Popped the ball, spring and L/O lever out, still would not go so I moved the reverse linkage adjustment nuts one complete revolution at a time and (5) turns later was the majic number... She's as smooth as any 36 year old beauty! Thanks for the Tech Assist!
That means they didnt use the alignment tool on the shifter.They sorta guessed so be careful on fast shifts you could get hung in a gear.

Get notified of new replies

To Shifter Problem...

Quick Reply: Shifter Problem...