C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear end indentification.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 09:03 AM
KevinK
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear end indentification.

First off, I would like to say that....THIS PLACE NEEDS A SEARCH OPTION, lol. I looked a few p[ages backs, but couldn't find anything similar to this. I imagine it gets pretty annoying if new folks come in and keep asking questions aready asked and answered.....And I'm a new guy. Havn't posted must, as all I've done is read, since that tends to answer most of my questions. Any....

I have a 1976 stingray, L48, with the 4 speed manual. I have no idea what rear end is on it, however. I got it from my dad, who got it from his brother. According to my dad, who heard this from his bro, his brother took the orrigional 4.11 rear out, and put a 2.10 rear in. It is still an independant rear suspension, and to my knowledge...the only GM car with that is the vette. And to my knowledge, no c4 vettes (the newest vettes out at the time my dad got this one from my uncle) came with 2.10 gears. So I have NO idea what the hell is under there.

I don't mind it having those gears as that would make this car about a 160-180mph car, lol. However, I am planning on adding some power to her, and I would hate to do that to a rear end that was not built for that. Any help? I looked all over, and the only numbers could find on it says E232. After doing a search, I could find nothing resembling that. I'm lost, scared, and lonely. Just kidding. Well, I'm lost, anyway. Any help?
Old 06-27-2007, 09:38 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

There is a search function....4th one from right in red bar at top of page...
I'd bet that you have 3:08 gears...
Old 06-27-2007, 09:42 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

The code and date are on the flange where the rear cover bolts onto the rear end.. On the very bottom. It is readable if there are no shields under there.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:01 AM
KevinK
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stewart's74
There is a search function....4th one from right in red bar at top of page...
I'd bet that you have 3:08 gears...
Oh my god, I love this group. My life just got a ton easier.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:08 AM
KevinK
Drifting

Originally Posted by wombvette
The code and date are on the flange where the rear cover bolts onto the rear end.. On the very bottom. It is readable if there are no shields under there.
I just went and looked anagin, but the only numbers I can find are right beside the oil cap bolt, on the gear housing. And they read E232. No dates.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Jack up the rear of the car so the wheels are off the ground. Place a mark on the drive shaft and one on your tire or half shaft. Turn your tire 360 degrees and count the number of turns your driveshaft makes. If it turns a little more than 3 revolutions it is a 3:08, 3 and about 1/3 revolutions a 3:36, less than 3 it is a 2:76, a little less than 4 it is a 3:90. This method ought to help put your mind to rest. BTW...the HS will turn the same as the tire. I only mentioned it as another point of reference to the tire.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by KevinK
First off, I would like to say that....THIS PLACE NEEDS A SEARCH OPTION, lol. I looked a few p[ages backs, but couldn't find anything similar to this. I imagine it gets pretty annoying if new folks come in and keep asking questions aready asked and answered.....And I'm a new guy. Havn't posted must, as all I've done is read, since that tends to answer most of my questions. Any....
Read the sticky that you had to jump over to post a new thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1603168

All you could ever want to know about searching. Hope it helps.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:28 AM
KevinK
Drifting

Originally Posted by Red 69
Jack up the rear of the car so the wheels are off the ground. Place a mark on the drive shaft and one on your tire or half shaft. Turn your tire 360 degrees and count the number of turns your driveshaft makes. If it turns a little more than 3 revolutions it is a 3:08, 3 and about 1/3 revolutions a 3:36, less than 3 it is a 2:76, a little less than 4 it is a 3:90. This method ought to help put your mind to rest. BTW...the HS will turn the same as the tire. I only mentioned it as another point of reference to the tire.
Thank you. I will give that a shot.

By the way, is my assumption correct, that, if it still is an IRS rear, it MUST be a vette rear, pretty much? My main concern is not breaking that rear by adding power, or ****ing up any other part of the drive line. The car doesn't run, which is why I am making the power adders NOW, since the engine is getting yanked anyway, so I can get a little work done. Once the car runs, it won't be too hard for me to figure out what ratio it is, simply by doing the math in each gear, per each RPM, with the speed. Did that in an old car, and it's surprisingly accurate. My main concern is figuring out what damn car this rear came from, lol.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:22 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

You just didnt look in the right place. On the bottom flange.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear end indentification.

Quick Reply: Rear end indentification.