C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door keys for a 68

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 02:42 AM
Danishbanker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door keys for a 68

I have no keys for my doors, and have been told that I cant buy new locks and keys :-(

I have found a guy here in Denmark that claims he can re-code the doorlocks so they fit the ignition key - have you guys any experience in that prosidure ???

Finaly - how do I get the doorlocks out ??

Thanks
Claus
Old 08-09-2007, 07:28 AM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive had my 68 for about 6 years now and had the same prob and decided to get set of damn keys made for it. The door locks are a little hard to get, but not impossible, and you can do it with regular tools and a flashlight, and a couple of long reach hemostats or very long needle nose pliers

Beleive it or not, the hardest part is removing the inner door panel. Youll need the tool that slides in behind the door lock **** and window crank that removes the retainer clip. Take your time, ithe clip will come off, it just takes finagaling

You can get this tool at any car parts store for about $4

Now you need to remove all the screws that hold the door panel on. Now carefully slide the door panel off the inner door release lever

Now roll the window into a position where you have clear access to the door lock. You will have to roll the window in different positions to first take of the door lock rod clips. REMEMBER what rod goes where, and what position they go. Do one door at a time so you can refer to the other in case you forget. If you break or loose a rod clip, take one of yours to any parts store. They will have them

Once the appropriate rods are released, concentrate on the door lock. If you look very closely with a small penlght, you can see there is only 2 (or maybe 3, its been awhile) nuts that hold the lock assembly on.

You will need a 1/4 drive socket wrench, and I beleive I remember a deep socket 7/16, or maybe a regular depth socket with a small extension bar

Anyways, its a tough reach, but not impossible by any means

Once lock mechanism is removed, take it to the lock guy, and have him clean it as well

When you replace everything, ensure all rods are properly clipped on and everything works. Some of these clips will be VERY difficult to remove and install, due to the angle. Dont take shortcuts and stay patient

Be carefull when sliding the door panel back on over the door realese lever. ITs a tight fit. Take your time

When you replace the inner door cover, its a little tough
Old 08-09-2007, 07:04 PM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I beleive this was my first post 2+ years ago. Take out your door lock cylinders and bring them to a lock smith. Call ahead and ask them to make some keys for you. The place I took it to wouldn't rekey the cylinders to match the ignition key so I had him just make me new keys to match the current cylinders. I think it cost me like $7 for both doors and two extra keys.
And noone makes remanufactured door lock cylinders for a 68 as its a one year only item and the demand isn't plentiful. You'd have to get them from a parted out 68, corvettes at carsile, or someone mentioned looking at other GM vehicles in the same year, maybe a chevelle or something. usually GM tries to cut costs by using the same parts in various cars during the same year.
Good luck.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:06 PM
BlueL36
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

I'm a big believer in using my digital camera for any project. That way, I have something to look at to see how it was together before I took it apart. Good luck with this one.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:48 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 550 Likes on 377 Posts

I think the 68 door and ignition locks and keys are available. Try Paragon, Volunteer Vette, Dr. Rebuild. I've bought a new ignition lock (forgot who from).
Old 08-09-2007, 11:47 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

My 68 had no keys when I got it, so I took the door locks and dash(couldn't get the ignition cylinder out without a key!) to a locksmith, and had them back that same day
You can also buy the period-correct keys for 68 and have the locksmith cut those as well
Old 08-12-2007, 04:17 AM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

I think the 68 door and ignition locks and keys are available.

Ignition yes, door lock definately no.

My door locks where rotten, fell apart when I removed them. Not repairable. I installed later locks slightly modified.

See http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1554489244

Work well now for the 2nd summer already.

Günther

Get notified of new replies

To Door keys for a 68

Quick Reply: Door keys for a 68