C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

YearOne CT350PC1 Crate Engine Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 11:33 PM
SlixVett
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default YearOne CT350PC1 Crate Engine Install

I finally decided to replace the engine in my '73 and I settled on the Year One 400 HP crate engine. I'll post info as I install the engine.

I ordered the engine from Year One on 24 Aug (Fri) and the freight company attempted to deliver it on 28 Aug (Tue). I was finally able to arrange delivery today (Thur) and it showed up this morning. Year One told me one to two weeks for delivery; I had it in less than one week. Shipping to NW Florida was $130.

The invoice shows the engine came from Hi-Tech Engine Components of Salt Lake City, UT. I believe they call it the CH350PC05.

I know the first question will be: "How much power?" Here's the dyno sheet that came with my engine:

Dyno Sheet

410 HP @ 5800 RPM and 423 ft-lb of torque at 3600 RPM.

Also, it came with this spec sheet:

Specs

No other documentation was included.

I haven't uncrated the engine yet, but as soon as I get it on the stand I'll post more info and pictures. I'll do my best to answer any questions.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:55 PM
happiedazs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I look forward to your pictures and info on how everything went. How much was the engine $$$$ ?
Old 08-31-2007, 12:47 AM
69 Convertible
Burning Brakes

How much was it out the door?
Old 08-31-2007, 07:13 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I look forward to some pics as well. I live a good engine swap.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:45 AM
SlixVett
Instructor

Originally Posted by 69 Convertible
How much was it out the door?
Subtotal: $2990.00
Package Protection: $2.50
Volume Discount: $0.00
Promotional Discount: $0.00
Tax: $0.00
Shipping & Handling: $135.00

Total Amount Charged: $3127.50
Old 08-31-2007, 10:15 AM
supercalvin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice engine..Enjoy it

They don't exactly overload you with what the part specs are.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:39 AM
White79
Instructor

Very nice. Keep us updated

Last edited by White79; 08-31-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:42 PM
SlixVett
Instructor

I uncrated the engine and mounted it on the stand, time for a walkaround.

All crated up and sitting in my garage.

Just like opening presents on Christmas Day.

Starting at the back, the engine comes with a 14-inch flexplate (that I removed).

And a one-piece rear main seal.

The dipstick (not included) is on the passenger side.

Set up for a mechanical fuel pump, but no mounting plate is included.

An 8-inch harmonic balancer is included.

The front cover is made of a sturdy plastic. The timing mark only indicates TDC and it doesn't look like an aftermarket timing tab can be mounted - looks like I'll need a degree tape on the balancer and a dial-back timing light.

The engine is set up for a spin-on oil filter (and one is included).

A clutch Z-bar pivot ball is not included - I'll need to transfer mine.

The back of the intake with the distributor mounting hole and water outlets?? or vacuum taps?? or crankcase vents?? And an oil pressure port for those of us still piping hot oil into our Corvette interiors.

The front of the intake with the water neck (not included) and two more water outlets.

1.6 rockers under chrome center-bolt valve covers covering Vortec heads with 2.02/1.60 stainless steel valves.

The intake manifold appears to be a knockoff of an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap but it only accepts a square-bore carb.

It looks like the identifying marks on the intake were ground off.

My engine includes chrome oil pan and valve covers, with what appear to be high-quality rubber or silicone gaskets.

Overall impressions: Initially, it appears that the engine is a very good value and if you look at Hi Tech's web site, they know how to build engines. Before ordering, I was a little troubled at the lack of specifics on engine details, but it looks a lot better in person. The intake manifold external casting leaves a lot to be desired (casting flash, etc) but the internal passages look great.

More details to follow - please post here with any questions.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:08 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very interesting. Keep us posted.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:33 AM
happiedazs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Very Cheap for a 400 HP engine. Looks (paint and chrome) don't really matter ---- it's the quality of the parts and workmanship inside that counts. Keep us posted and good luck with the new engine. Let us know about unexpected problems with the install and ultimately how it performs during break-in and then several thousand miles after break-in. Again --- Good luck and keep us posted
Old 09-01-2007, 06:39 PM
CorvetteDave01
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I would be interested in more engine specs as well. You know it will run good with the dyno sheet and good proven parts like Vortec heads though!
Old 09-01-2007, 06:54 PM
NHRalph
Racer

I'm suprised ther eis no timing tab but the price sure does sound good! Will it accept the flywheel off of your old engine?
Old 09-01-2007, 08:54 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SlixVett
It looks like the identifying marks on the intake were ground off.
I'm almost positve that intake manifold is made by Professional Products. Search for their "crosswind" manifold for details.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:24 PM
76 sting
Pro

Originally Posted by sperkins
I'm almost positve that intake manifold is made by Professional Products. Search for their "crosswind" manifold for details.
I have their very first 383 stroker from them and I received the same manifold but pollished.

Awesome engines they make!!!

Old 09-02-2007, 11:28 PM
SlixVett
Instructor

Time for some more info:

Here's what the casting numbers show. The block is a 10243880, which MoreTec shows as a 350 CID, 1995-2000, 2 or 4-bolt main (this engine is a 4-bolt main), Vortec truck, Gen. I crate motor or "ZZ4", roller cam, one piece rear seal. The date code shows the block was cast on 30 May 1998. Incidentally, the body date on my Vette is 30 May 1973, so I guess I could argue that this is a "matching numbers" motor 25 years late.

The heads are 12558062 castings, which MoreTec shows as 1998, 350 CID L31 Vortec, truck with 64cc chambers, 1.94/1.50 valves, and 170 cc intake ports. I was surprised that the heads were used, but they've been ported and reworked with 2.02/1.60 valves.

A few of the bolt holes (fuel pump mounting, one accessory mount) have been heli-coiled.

And to answer some questions:

I'm surprised there is no timing tab but the price sure does sound good! Will it accept the flywheel off of your old engine?
I believe the front cover is set up for a late-model crank-triggered ignition. As far as the flywheel, the spec sheet (see above) says STANDARD FLYWHEEL APPLICATION - USE 350 LATE MODEL FLYWHEEL. I'm not sure what that means but I guess I'll look for a late-model 168-tooth Camaro flywheel.

I'm almost positive that intake manifold is made by Professional Products. Search for their "crosswind" manifold for details.
Yes, I agree. I think it's their P/N 52028 Crosswind intake.

I have their very first 383 stroker from them and I received the same manifold but polished. Awesome engines they make!!!
That's good to hear!
Old 09-02-2007, 11:35 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRalph
I'm suprised ther eis no timing tab but the price sure does sound good! Will it accept the flywheel off of your old engine?

You don't need a tab or tape. Get a good timing light that you set your timing with the light. Turn the dist till the timing mark on the balance matches up to the timing cover mark. Most of these timimng lights also give you RPM

That simple.

Last edited by spedaleden; 09-02-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SlixVett
I believe the front cover is set up for a late-model crank-triggered ignition.
I just bought a ZZ4 and it has the same cover.
The balancer is degree marked but with a dial back timing light all you need is the one mark @ 0 and you can go anywhere from there.

I have seen new balancers with the marks on ebay for around $60 or $70.

^ Ya beat me to it spedaleden!

Last edited by Bob Onit; 09-02-2007 at 11:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To YearOne CT350PC1 Crate Engine Install

Old 09-02-2007, 11:52 PM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Flywheel

Slix, here are the numbers for the 14" 168T flywheel
All are the same flywheel, only the part numbers have been updated.

GM# 14091599n = Early #
GM# 14088648 or 10105832 = Newer #'s

I got very lucky and found one in great shape that had just been machined for $60 but the new ones are pretty expensive.

I am using my original tach drive distributor but no matter what you chose to go with you will still need to get a Melonized gear and install it on the dist because of the steel ZZ roller cam.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:47 PM
hap1971
Instructor

I have the same exact engine from year one, dressed exactly the same. I am in NE Florida, and took about 10 days to receive my engine. Price was exactly the same I believe.

If your engine is as good as mine, you will be very happy with it.
I have it installed with 100 dollar Summit Headers, a T-56 six speed, a 750 double pumper holley, and HEI tach drive distributor. My distributor does not have a melonized gear - I called Year One and asked specifically if I need to run a different distributor gear, and they said no - that the cam in this engine is compatible with a normal distributor gear.

I have driven it about 2 miles, and they were fun!! (Need to trailer it down to the exhaust shop, headers with temporary open pipe for the test drive, lucky i didnt get arrested!)
Motor has gobs of torque. Very punchy. I was initially worried that
Year One might be fudging the Dyno numbers - the documentation
they send is kinda sparse - but after the test drive, I am solidly convinced I got exactly what they put on my dyno sheet - 411hp/426tq.

I bought the 69 dollar 'Advance Timing Light' from Sears, and it works perfect without having to mess with balancer degree tape. Just turn the **** to the desired timing, run the engine up, move the distributor until your timing mark is top dead center. Im running 36 degrees of total timing and the engine seems to really like it.
Vacuum is strong; no fluid leaks anywhere on the engine.
Make sure to use a dipstick and tube out of a 1987-up one piece seal
engine, every other style I tried did not fit.

There are several holes on the intake that needed plugging when I got my engine, most of them on the water jackets. The spark plugs are set close the exhaust valves on the Vortec heads - I needed a shorty plug for header clearance on #4. Vortec heads use the long-thread deep reach plugs, so I had to order my shorty plug from accel, no one carried it locally.

My experience overall has been excellent. I feel this engine is a great value. I hope you have the same good luck I have had with mine.

Rich

Last edited by hap1971; 09-03-2007 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:38 AM
74vert
Advanced

Any update on the install?

Here is the yearone page:
http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/h...Z73498&Style=2

Quick Reply: YearOne CT350PC1 Crate Engine Install