C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailing Arm Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 11:17 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Trailing Arm Questions

I have been trying to get a hold of Gary, but he hasn't emailed me back...maybe you guys can answer some questions for me.

I've got a question regarding the bearing installation. If I understand correctly, you set the bearing endplay using the special preset tool. Once you have the endplay set, you grease up the bearings and install them on the spindle through the bearing support.

Now my question is regarding installing the outer bearing. Do I install this bearing using a hydraulic press first and then insert it through the bearing support, and then press on the inner bearing? Or do I place the outer bearing over the spindle, place the spindle through the bearing support, and then place the inner bearing over the spindle; then using your special tool (a piece of pipe which is a little bigger than the spindle shaft) carefully press the inner bearing until it basically wont go in anymore? This will press the outer bearing onto the spindle shaft and the inner bearing will also be pressed onto the spindle shat...am I getting this right?

Also, I see you made yourself a plate to hold the wheel bearing support and a dial indicator when you are setting up the bearings. Can you send me a picture with the dimensions of the plate you made...I am going to have a machine shop cut me a plate just like yours so I can set up the rear bearings. Does the bearing support just bolt to this plate and there is a hole for the spindle preset tool to fit through the plate...this way everything is sturdy when you adjust the end play?
Old 09-28-2007, 11:37 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

We don't use that tool. We have our own way but we build our support and press the spindle in after it's all set up.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:42 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

This is the setup tool you need. It is a slip fit for the bearings so you don't have to use a press while fitting the shims.

You assemble the bearings, spacer and shim on the tool in the bearing support and torq it down. I them clamp the bearing support in a vice and use the dial indicator to check the end play. Once its setup, install the outer bearing in the support, install the outter seal. Then press in the spindle, press on the inner bearing, install the inner seal and the yoke and nut.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:04 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

So after I setup the bearing endplay using the setup tool, remove the bearings from the setup tool, install the bearing seal on the spindle, place the outer bearing (now packed with grease) onto the spindle and then use a hydraulic press to press the outer bearing onto the spindle shaft. Next place the spacer and shim onto the spindle shaft and take the assembled spindle and insert it through the bearing support. Next, place the inner bearing onto the spindle and press it onto the spindle until it mates with the shim...is this correct?

All I want to know is if you have to press the outer bearing onto the spindle before you insert the spindle through the bearing support. I have a hyraulic press to do this.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:01 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

bump
Old 09-28-2007, 04:44 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

bump
Old 09-28-2007, 04:55 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't want to hijack your tread but I would like to know how you get the outer seal into the housing. This seal has to be put on the spindle before the bearing is put on and then it is difficult to get it into the housing.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Van Steel

Originally Posted by stinger12
So after I setup the bearing endplay using the setup tool, remove the bearings from the setup tool, install the bearing seal on the spindle, place the outer bearing (now packed with grease) onto the spindle and then use a hydraulic press to press the outer bearing onto the spindle shaft. Next place the spacer and shim onto the spindle shaft and take the assembled spindle and insert it through the bearing support. Next, place the inner bearing onto the spindle and press it onto the spindle until it mates with the shim...is this correct?

All I want to know is if you have to press the outer bearing onto the spindle before you insert the spindle through the bearing support. I have a hyraulic press to do this.
No build the support 1st than press the spindle into the built bearing support. DO NOT press the bearings on the spindle. Please re-read previous posts. Thats the way you have to do it.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:05 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

So, basically I seat the outer bearing on its race in the bearing support, insert the spindle through the outer bearing, place the spacer and precalculated shim on the spindle, and then press the inner bearing onto the spindle? Keep pressing the inner bearing until the outer bearing seats in its position over the bottom of the spindle, and keep pressing until the outer bearing is pressed on? DO I understand the process correctly?
Old 09-28-2007, 08:30 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

now i finally understand, forget my last post guys. One question regarding pressing the spindle onto the outer bearing after is is installed in the bearing support. Do I need to use a pipe to fit over the spindle and then press on the bearing while it is seated in the bearing support?

Also, I am just curious as to why it makes a difference to whether or not I install the OUTER bearing on the spindle without it in the support. Couldn't i just press on the outer bearing with its seal in place, put the spindle through the support afterwards, then place the spacer and shim on the shaft, then press the inner bearing on...isn't it the same thing?
Old 09-29-2007, 04:38 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

bump
Old 09-30-2007, 12:22 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

bump
Old 09-30-2007, 10:29 AM
Steve439
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stinger12
now i finally understand, forget my last post guys. One question regarding pressing the spindle onto the outer bearing after is is installed in the bearing support. Do I need to use a pipe to fit over the spindle and then press on the bearing while it is seated in the bearing support?
Yes, Gary has a picture of this step in the setup in his rebuild thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...0&postcount=27

There's also an assembly tool you can use which is pretty nice:

http://www.volvette.com/page/VVP/PROD/tools/TL07

Also, I am just curious as to why it makes a difference to whether or not I install the OUTER bearing on the spindle without it in the support. Couldn't i just press on the outer bearing with its seal in place, put the spindle through the support afterwards, then place the spacer and shim on the shaft, then press the inner bearing on...isn't it the same thing?
You won't be able to get the seal seated in the housing unless you
do it before you press the spindle in place.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:12 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

I have installed them both ways. What I now do is to install the outer bearing- when ready- in the support. Place the seal in and then lay it on top of the spindle and press them in.
If you install the seal and then the outer bearing you can use a long thin screw driver and roll the seal into the bore. It works but you have to be careful not to damage it. You then have to install the PB. With the first way the PB are done and easier to install before the spindle.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:43 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

This is just a picture I took to verify things...the bearings and races aren't installed in the picture. So If I understand you correctly Gary, I can use a pipe (a tiny bit larger than the spindle shaft) to press on the outer bearing while it is sitting in the spindle support?

Old 09-30-2007, 08:02 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

first clean up the surfaces that mate and where the shields go or you'll fight with them later. I assemble the support to the arm, then PB's, then outer bearing(after fitting),and outer seal. Place the spindle on a support in the center- you don't want to press on the studs. Lower the arm on the spindle and press on. then carefully support it and remove. Be careful as it's not tight yet. Then place the spacer and shim in, grease up the inner bearing, install with seal. Install the shield, flange washer and new nut. Torque to 100 ft/lbs + to align the cotter pin.
I parallel grind the flange surfaces as well.

PS be sure your pipe fits over the larger journal. I bored the ID a little for clearence.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:46 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

first clean up the surfaces that mate and where the shields go or you'll fight with them later

Which shields are you referring to...the splash shields?

Get notified of new replies

To Trailing Arm Questions

Old 09-30-2007, 08:48 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Also, how far do I have to press the outer bearing on the spindle shaft? Will it bottom out and stop moving when it is seated properly?
Old 09-30-2007, 11:28 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

bump
Old 10-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Van Steel

Before you press everything together you need to install your caliper mounting bracket and backing plate. I also build the parking brakes and have everything done before I press the spindle in. Rotate the bearing assembly as you press the spindle in. Use your spindle flange and a short pipe when you press it. No need for a 6 ft pipe. When the bearings get down on the spindle all the way the press will tighten up. Don't max it out.

Quick Reply: Trailing Arm Questions