C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 05:01 PM
Theiskell
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top removal

The previous owner has put a new top on my ’69 but left the frame rusty and just in general nasty. I would like to remove and bead blast what pieces of the top frame I can but leave the canvas in place. I see several screws that look like you can separate the top from some of the frame pieces. Has anyone done this before? I have looked in the AIM and done a search in the forum with no luck. Any help would be nice
Old 09-30-2007, 05:10 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 530 Likes on 358 Posts

The top is stapled to the front bow and above the rear window. It is glued to the vertical pieces at the rear of the side windows. The rear bow is held in by the weatherstripping and has a sewn-in cord that fits in a channel in the rear bow itself.

The screws you are seeing are for the weatherstrip, not the top. The only way to do this properly would be to remove the top. After that, it will not be reinstallable and you will need a new top.

Don't be afraid of doing a new top. I did mine and it took two of us about 8 hours, not rushing at all. I also upgraded from vinyl to a Stafast canvas top.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Theiskell
Burning Brakes

Thank for the information I think I will wait on this project
Old 09-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Steve is right about the top being glued down. Installing the top though is a big deal but it is not that hard. I also did mine with a little help from a buddy but neither one of us had ever done the job. I am pretty darn happy with the way it turned out.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:44 PM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my top last year without help. It was about a week working off and on. Not perfect but it is good. I took my frame apart and found some rusted pieces that were not visible until the top was off. I had these pieces repaired in town by a sheet metal guy.

You will not be happy unless you take the old material off if you really want to clean up the frame correctly. If you choose to replace the top I suggest the new style neoprene tack strips versus the cardboard-type strips.

Get the Al Knoch video and watch it at least two or three times before doing the job. You can rent the video or buy it.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:19 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 376 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by brdd
I did my top last year without help. It was about a week working off and on. Not perfect but it is good. I took my frame apart and found some rusted pieces that were not visible until the top was off. I had these pieces repaired in town by a sheet metal guy.

You will not be happy unless you take the old material off if you really want to clean up the frame correctly. If you choose to replace the top I suggest the new style neoprene tack strips versus the cardboard-type strips.

Get the Al Knoch video and watch it at least two or three times before doing the job. You can rent the video or buy it.
The Al Knoch video makes it easy. He is very thorough and takes you through every step and I agree to watch it several times before you start. You will miss things the first time and the more you watch it the more relaxed you will be.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:37 PM
Vetdremz
Racer

I need a video!

PM me

thanks

(not trying to hijack your thread)

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible top removal

Quick Reply: Convertible top removal