C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Explain the horn relay

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 06:20 PM
wiseman79
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Explain the horn relay

I'm trying to get my horn working. The relay clicks when I press the horn button, but there's alot going on at the relay and not sure how to proceed. I spent some time with a voltmeter but couldn't determine what's triggering it to engage when you press the horn, or which lead is supposed to energize the horn when pressed. I'm hoping to rewire from the relay to horn but don't know which wire to replace without disecting the entire wire loom.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:34 PM
63_GrandSport
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There will be a green wire that goes from the relay to the horn. Run a jumper wire from the postive wire on your alt. to the horn to see if your horn is good. If it is than you have ether a bad connection or the wire is bad between the relay and the horn. Since the relay clicks that tell me its not in the steering wheel. ( I just had to do all of this with my 78.) Hope that helps
Adam
Old 11-04-2007, 06:36 PM
wiseman79
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That does help, thanks much.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:45 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by wiseman79
That does help, thanks much.
Simple. A horn relay has power coming to it and a switch that passes that power to the horn (green wire). This switch is activated by the black wire which is simply grounded by the horn button.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:34 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'ts a simle circiut, but takes a twisted route. Power into one side of the relay,, other side- BLACK wire out into the steering colum up to the back of the steering wheel to circular pad, steering wheel cantact with a spring on it is part of the circiut to the back of the steering wheel, pushing the horn button shorts this part to the steering column shell, which is grounded through the GM rag joint by the metal wires infused in it, to the steering gear, to frame to ground it. When the horn is not pushed, the BLACK wire at the horn relay will be at 12 volts, It's a resistance thing, when the horn is pushed, if everything is working right, this wire should go to near 0 Volts, this is the frist check, if it does not, then the grounding path is bad, if it's not at 12 volts when the h/b is NOT pushed, then it could be a burned out relay. starting points.

Last edited by RunningMan373; 11-05-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

The diagram in this paper may also be helpful.
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...osis13JN06.doc
Jim
Old 11-05-2007, 09:28 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RunningMan373

I'ts a simle circiut, but takes a twisted route. Power into one side of the relay,, other side- green wire out into the steering colum up to the back of the steering wheel to circular pad, steering wheel cantact with a spring on it is part of the circiut to the back of the steering wheel, pushing the horn button shorts this part to the steering column shell, which is grounded through the GM rag joint by the metal wires infused in it, to the steering gear, to frame to ground it. When the horn is not pushed, the green wire at the horn relay will be at 12 volts, It's a resistance thing, when the horn is pushed, if everything is working right, this wire should go to near 0 Volts, this is the frist check, if it does not, then the grounding path is bad, if it's not at 12 volts when the h/b is NOT pushed, then it could be a burned out relay. starting points.
Now there ya go making things confusing and complicated. Actually the green wires go directly to the horns, the black goes to the column. And yes the path to ground is convoluted, but it is nothing more than that, a simple ground.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:11 PM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wombvette
Now there ya go making things confusing and complicated. Actually the green wires go directly to the horns, the black goes to the column. And yes the path to ground is convoluted, but it is nothing more than that, a simple ground.

Noted and corrected. sorry about that. got to check my wireing diagrams and not run from memory,, thanks. Circiut discription is correct though,, with the change of the wire color,,

Get notified of new replies

To Explain the horn relay

Quick Reply: Explain the horn relay