C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help identifying numbers!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 05:54 PM
HazardZ06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help identifying numbers!!!

Hey, I'm going to look at a 68 vette tomorrow that the owner says is a numbers matching 427/automatic. Where should i look to verify where the casting number and body/frame number are?

Also does anyone have a list or a site that lists casting numbers so that I can tell if its actually a 427.

Thanks everyone, I'm a little new with the hotrod stuff. (Jeeps are my thing!)
Old 11-30-2007, 07:20 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope this link helps you out;

http://www.mortec.com/

Good Luck!!

Last edited by dannyman; 11-30-2007 at 07:26 PM. Reason: oops ; corrected link to mortec
Old 11-30-2007, 08:37 PM
papawana
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,122 Likes on 321 Posts

http://www.corvette-world.com/corvet...ifications.php
Old 11-30-2007, 09:26 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

First check the vin on the windshield pillar. Last digits of the vin should also appear on the engine pad at the front of the engine (where the heck is that sucker?) umm near the water pump (?). 427 automatic should have the engine code IO (If it is the tripower 400 hp engine, L-68), or IQ if it is the 390 hp engine with a single Qjet carb. I don't think the 435 hp cars came with auto in 68.... but I am not sure.

You probably couldn't find the vin on the frame even if you knew where to look.

Definitely check the trim tag inside the driver's door and note the codes. This will tell you the build date (which should line up with the vin), and the original paint color and interior color.

Beyond those very important basics you would have to start checking numbers on the carbs (very expensive items if you need to replace with correct numbers), and note if the AIR (smog pump) is present - another very expensive item to replace.

If you were checking to see if "all numbers match" meaning everything is either or original or stamped with the same number that an original would have, then you would have to check the wheels (part number and date codes) and a bunch of other parts, including the jack which has a date code. I would stick to the engine, trim tag, carb and trans.

Get notified of new replies

To help identifying numbers!!!

Quick Reply: help identifying numbers!!!