C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 C3 Can;t get front rotors off

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 05:54 PM
cargo247
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81 C3 Can;t get front rotors off

Yes brakes once more! Can;t get front rotors off
Ok am i dumb or something But i have tried to get these front rotors off and they are not moving. rivets are drilled out , i don't want to have to pull the hub off any tips for this, the hammer is not helping. as well i am rebuilding the calipers myself RTV is just silicone right? any silicone?
Old 12-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're sure the rivets are out completely, then you may just need a very WIDE 3 jaw puller and a socket to get the rotor off.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:02 PM
tomard
Racer

Default I BEAT THE **** OUT OF IT

I used a large rubber mallet and beat the living he11 on the side of the rotor before mine wanted to came off
Old 12-07-2007, 08:06 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Take the rotor off and lay on the floor.Use a punch and drive each rivet out.Then put a nut on each lug.Tap each lug lightly working your way around.Dont hit the lugs hard enough to damage the nuts or threads.As you work your way around the hub will drop towards the floor.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by DWncchs
Take the rotor off and lay on the floor.Use a punch and drive each rivet out.Then put a nut on each lug.Tap each lug lightly working your way around.Dont hit the lugs hard enough to damage the nuts or threads.As you work your way around the hub will drop towards the floor.
I've never gotten one of those rivets to punch out. I ended up just grinding mine flat after beating the rotors off.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:29 PM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

A BIGGER HAMMER..... ...it's just probably rusted on.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DWncchs

Did you mean hub, or do you mean rotor?
Old 12-08-2007, 12:36 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

There's another thread on the same subject. It`s nearly impossible to remove the rotor from the hub when the hub is still attached to the car, . To remove it just pull the bearings and then it will almost fall off. After getting the rivets out any way you want. {there is a easy way} Put the rotor on a flat surface and drive the 5 studs out with a brass hammer. Rivets removed and studs out the two pieces will easily separate. Clean the hub surface and then re-hub with the new rotor by driving the studs back in. It`s now ready for machining to true them up. Simple right? Very easy job, but only if done correctly.

We do these things for a living in our service center or garage and parts store. Attempting this operation any other way is a waste of time and time is money unless you want to nurse a easy brake job into a month long project!

Last edited by Ironcross; 12-08-2007 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:04 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
Did you mean hub, or do you mean rotor?
Rotor and hub assembly-before its seperated.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:14 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
I've never gotten one of those rivets to punch out. I ended up just grinding mine flat after beating the rotors off.
If the rotor and hub seperates before you get all the rivets out then tighten the lug nuts to hold the hub and rotor together until all the rivets are removed.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:35 AM
FB007
Burning Brakes

If you're sure the rivets are out completely, then you may just need a very WIDE 3 jaw puller and a socket to get the rotor off.
Wow. I never heard of that before.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:50 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FB007
Wow. I never heard of that before.

Yeah it worked like a charm on two of my stuck rotors. I didn't want to damage them by pounding on them, so I used the biggest 3 jaw puller I could. The hooks went into the veins, the puller was nosed into a socket which went on the hub, and it really didn't take very much pressure to pop it off.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:08 AM
cargo247
Drifting

Yeah it worked like a charm on two of my stuck rotors. I didn't want to damage them by pounding on them, so I used the biggest 3 jaw puller I could. The hooks went into the veins, the puller was nosed into a socket which went on the hub, and it really didn't take very much pressure to pop it off.
thanks i will give this a try just need to find a puller thats that big
What about the silicone anyone know? i will be stripping down the calipers sand blasting, rehoning and rebuilding them the shop manual says to put rtv on the pistons is it any silicone? any help on this would be great
Old 12-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Artsvette73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best way is to remove the hub and rotor. If you have just drilled the head of the rivet off, You are still fighting the shank of the ot the rivet plus rust. Once off the car you can drive the rivets out with a punch or press. Tryin to beat them off on the car would trash the wheel bearings. You have got this far it makes sence to clean and check the bearings anyway. Not that much more work.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:50 PM
ltlevil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Artsvette73
Best way is to remove the hub and rotor. If you have just drilled the head of the rivet off, You are still fighting the shank of the ot the rivet plus rust. Once off the car you can drive the rivets out with a punch or press. Tryin to beat them off on the car would trash the wheel bearings. You have got this far it makes sence to clean and check the bearings anyway. Not that much more work.
I agree, if there's a reason (miles/vibration) to remove the brakes and have them worked then most of the time that same reason is enough to at least check the bearings, clean and repack them at the least. Or-drumroll-while you're at it...

ltlevil
Old 12-08-2007, 03:17 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by cargo247
Yes brakes once more! Can;t get front rotors off
Ok am i dumb or something But i have tried to get these front rotors off and they are not moving. rivets are drilled out , i don't want to have to pull the hub off any tips for this, the hammer is not helping. as well i am rebuilding the calipers myself RTV is just silicone right? any silicone?
Unless your going to use new rotors there is no need to drill the rivets out to remove the rotors. Just remove the bearings and they come right off hub and rotor together.. Thats simple, why beat the hell out of the rotors. Take them to a parts store that has a machine shop and have them cut. The rotors are cut on center with the bearings races in place. Do not remove the the races Only the rears may possibly be hard to get off as they do not have removable hubs like the fronts. The rotors just slip over the studs.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:01 PM
cargo247
Drifting

Default Gotter done!

Got them off !! i drilled out the rivets then made up a clamp that inserted in the rotors cooling vents, then attached my dent puller to the clamps that is centered about 4" out from the hub, 2 little pops and off she came so easy no banging. I think I have invented a new tool.
Thanks all for your help!
Old 12-09-2007, 02:35 AM
bisrael
Instructor

Default Three Words

Dead Blow Hammer

I had this problem, struggled and struggled. Then someone told me about the mystical powers of a dead blow hammer. I smack and pop.

Get notified of new replies

To 81 C3 Can;t get front rotors off

Quick Reply: 81 C3 Can;t get front rotors off