C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat Barrier / Underlayment

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 09:39 PM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heat Barrier / Underlayment

I've seen a product advertized for heat barrier/underlayment that is a ceramic cloth with foil backing that says it will lower cockpit temperature by 50 degrees and block heat to 2300F. I was thinking about using this in the passenger area with standard underlayment over it and then carpet on top. For the rear, Dynamat and carpet. This will be in a '70 BB vert with 2 speakers in the rear and 2 in the kick panels.

Have you used the ceramic cloth product? If yes, do you like it and what did you top it with? Should I use Dynamat here too instead of regular underlayment?

Other sugestions...

Old 12-31-2007, 01:52 AM
martinsw
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I used something like that product on the underside of cockpit to help reduce heat from dual Cats (LS1 conversion) - then used the microspheres (Wicks) mixed in paint on cockpit interior. Then the foil / bubble stuff from Lowes (reflectix I believe), then carpet underlay and carpet.

The ceramic/foil stuff I used was fairly pricey - so I only used a few sq feet underneat floorboard. The microspheres seem to work pretty good - although I did not do good before/after testing - and are pretty inexpensive.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:17 AM
82Vettrin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is good stuff
http://www.stockinteriors.com/HeatSo...keId=&ModelId=
'though I've seen it priced less ($20 per roll) at car shows and swap meets.
I used it in my '69 Camaro last winter and it works really good.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:42 AM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

I used one of the kits (I think it was from Ecklers) and like the product alot. I first put down Dynamat Extreme and then put the ceramic/aluminum heat barrier down before putting in new carpet that already had some sound deadening attached to it. Car is quiter and cooler than it was before.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:47 AM
VIPERBARON
Racer

Originally Posted by 82Vettrin
this is good stuff
http://www.stockinteriors.com/HeatSo...keId=&ModelId=
'though I've seen it priced less ($20 per roll) at car shows and swap meets.
I used it in my '69 Camaro last winter and it works really good.

I'm going to use this pricy stuff on my '80 restro. If you are having a hot cockpit problem, try putting a foam block around the top of the trany, between the the hump & floor pan area. That will stop hot air flow under the center of the cockpit. The foam conforms well to the contours of the equipment. Foam block is easy to install/fit into place. It seals off the hot air nicely and allows the hot air to be redirected off to the sides & out.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:16 AM
69small block
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPERBARON

I'm going to use this pricy stuff on my '80 restro. If you are having a hot cockpit problem, try putting a foam block around the top of the trany, between the the hump & floor pan area. That will stop hot air flow under the center of the cockpit. The foam conforms well to the contours of the equipment. Foam block is easy to install/fit into place. It seals off the hot air nicely and allows the hot air to be redirected off to the sides & out.
i have used the ceramic cloth it seemed it to help didnt do before and after and have been told that the foam which is missing on alot of cars but that is why the GM people put it the to block the heat from going down the tunnel
69small block
Old 12-31-2007, 10:18 AM
AirTrafficController
Pro

Originally Posted by VIPERBARON
try putting a foam block around the top of the trany, between the the hump & floor pan area.
This is what you want from Corvette America:

Old 12-31-2007, 10:51 AM
cgc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AirTrafficController
This is what you want from Corvette America:

I checked this out on line and there was no distinction between a standard and auto trans so am I right to assume the foam will work on either S/A?
charlie
Old 12-31-2007, 11:01 AM
AirTrafficController
Pro

Originally Posted by cgc
I checked this out on line and there was no distinction between a standard and auto trans so am I right to assume the foam will work on either S/A?
charlie
It should fit on either. It's big enough, where you have to force it into the gap with your fingers or broom handle. You don't need glue like they used at the factory; it's a tight fit.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:25 PM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll slide under the car after a bit and see if the foam block is there or not. I'm guessing it's not.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:46 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

I just took my wife out yesterday after a complete interior removal. She said her feet, with socks, were not even hot when she put them on the firewall of our big block 69 coupe. That was worth all the time and money to me.
I stripped the interior, applied a layer of DynaMat Xtreme from the firewall to the rear storage and the top of the rear storage as well. It's only 55-60 yesterday, I know, but last year that thing burned us up. I use the stock insulation, then carpet from Stock Interiors. Great carpet kit, by the way. I don't even have the foam collar, the underside insulation, or the steel panels that go underneath yet. The DynaMat has proved itself to me, thru my wife's satisfaction.
If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. If Daddy ain't happy, ain't nobody gives a damn!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Heat Barrier / Underlayment

Quick Reply: Heat Barrier / Underlayment