C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thrush welded mufflers-any good

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 09:05 AM
turbovette80
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thrush welded mufflers-any good

I've got a chance to get some Thrush welded mufflers(rare thing in the UK) to go on a no cat 3" system,anyone had experience of these?
Old 01-25-2008, 06:06 PM
L82shark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

I didnt know they still even made those. They have a very distinct sound. I havent seen them since the 80's. Are they new?
Old 01-26-2008, 12:30 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

When I was in high school back in the early 70's they were my favorite. Very unique sound...the ultimate glasspack.
And they were very affordable. I think about $15.

The only problem I ever had was they were round and all of my applications used oval so fit was not optimal.

cc
Old 01-26-2008, 04:37 AM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

I am in UK. If these were the ones on EBay recently they were only 2 1/4" ID. I used to use these on all my 'yankee' motors back in the seventies. The feature that was useful was that they were designed to 'bend' a few degrees where the pipes went into the muffler case. This would make a home install job a lttle easier. Were all printed-up with Thrush logos and packed with ceramic wool, available in 18" & 24" lengths. 18" were too loud like the cheapo glass pack 'Cherry Bombs' currently available. 24" were perfect, reasonably quite on a light throttle, loud when you 'stamp on it'. A great 'blast from the past'! Modern day sound equivalent in UK = Jetex/Simons steel wool pack mufflers. I have been running these on my BB for 6/7 years now and they have a 'old school' sound without the resonance that so many mufflers seem to have
Old 01-26-2008, 04:40 AM
rpoL98
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I didn't know Thrush made a welded-case muffler (like flowmaster seams). The old-school Thrush mufflers from the 70's and 80's used the folded seams which (I think) didn't have "longevity". this was in the day before "aluminized". they did sound good while they lasted, at least on my car. and they were indeed very cheap.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:49 AM
roscobbc
Drifting

Originally Posted by rpoL98
I didn't know Thrush made a welded-case muffler (like flowmaster seams). The old-school Thrush mufflers from the 70's and 80's used the folded seams which (I think) didn't have "longevity". this was in the day before "aluminized". they did sound good while they lasted, at least on my car. and they were indeed very cheap.
they didn't seem to 'coke-up' and get progressively louder (eventually too loud) like some of the alternatives. They did look cool with the printed casing. The Hush Thrush mufflers were the ones that used to rust-out internally, if you had a radical cam they would resonate really badly.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:47 AM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

I know Jegs carries them. My buddy had them in late 70's True Muscle Car Sound. I would definetly give them a try. Pretty well priced.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...63864_-1_10265

Here are the ones my buddy used to run

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...44696_-1_10265
Old 01-26-2008, 11:09 AM
turbovette80
Instructor

Thanks for the input, you convinced me these were worth a try so I contacted the seller,turns out the ones that fit (center inlet ,offset outlet) he hasn't got, they only flow one way,so I well keep on searching.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:51 AM
hgm
Instructor

Back in the day I had Oval hush thrust on a 68 Chevelle big block. Great sound!!
Old 01-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Walker Exhaust manufacturing Co. is the current owner and distributor of Thrush muifflers. Dynomax Thrush glass packs is the brand now, not just Thrush.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:24 PM
roscobbc
Drifting

Originally Posted by spedaleden
I know Jegs carries them. My buddy had them in late 70's True Muscle Car Sound. I would definetly give them a try. Pretty well priced.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...63864_-1_10265

Here are the ones my buddy used to run

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...44696_-1_10265
Not the same 'animal' as the original. This is same as most of todays mufflers and 'chambered' not 'straight-thru' .
Old 01-26-2008, 05:18 PM
L82shark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

Woodpeckers and Cherry Bombs, those were the days.... not the same anymore

SAY IT ISN’T SO: LEGENDARY THRUSH® MUFFLER ‘WOODPECKER’ TURNING 40

Tenneco Plans Series of Activities to Mark Anniversary, Introduce Legendary Thrush Experience to Returning Generation of Muscle Car Owners

LAS VEGAS, NV, November 1, 2005…According to wildbirds.com, the life expectancy of a “Hairy Woodpecker” is less than 10 years. The experts obviously haven’t heard of the legendary Thrush “Woodpecker” brand that manufactured red hot glasspack™ and turbo-style performance mufflers since 1966.
The Thrush brand, still a popular choice among muscle car enthusiasts, will celebrate its 40th anniversary in 2006 with a variety of consumer activities targeted at vehicle owners of all ages. Thrush mufflers and accessories are manufactured and marketed by Tenneco (NYSE: TEN).
The Thrush brand gained prominence in the late 1960s thanks to the deep, throaty sound of its canister-shaped “Glasspack” mufflers, which enthusiasts by the thousands mounted beneath Mustangs, GTOs, Chevelles, Corvairs and other performance models. But the Thrush experience transcended mufflers – thanks to “Woody,” the hot pink-and-yellow woodpecker displayed in profile above the brand’s 50s-style script typeface -- to encompass the friendly competition of hot rodding. Not surprisingly, the Thrush “Woodpecker” remains a common sight on vehicle bumpers and windows from coast to coast. “Woody” even made a cameo appearance in the Hollywood feature film “Raising Arizona.”
“There are few icons as recognizable among muscle car owners and drag racing fans as the Thrush logo and sound,” said Beth Mooney, brand manager, performance exhaust, Tenneco. “We have exciting plans for celebrating the ‘Woodpecker’’s40th birthday and introducing the Thrush experience to a renewed generation of empty nesters returning to hot rod ownership as a hobby.”
-more-

THRUSH 40-YEAR ANNIVERSARY/2

The Thrush product line includes the smooth-flowing Thrush Glasspack muffler, featuring a straight-through perforated tube for minimal turbulence, continuous roving fiberglass for the classic Thrush sound, and a durable heavy-gauge steel shell; and the Thrush Turbo muffler, with reversible flow chambers, time-tested spun-locked heads and all-aluminized material. The Thrush Glasspack muffler is available in a wide range of sizes and configurations, including single- and dual-outlet designs, header mufflers, and header units with turn-down.
For more information on Thrush mufflers and accessories, please visit www.thrushmuffler.com, contact your nearest performance exhaust dealer, or call
1-734-384-7806.
Tenneco is a $4.2 billion manufacturing company with headquarters in Lake Forest, Illinois, and approximately 18,400 employees worldwide. Tenneco is one of the world’s largest designers, manufacturers and marketers of emission control and ride control products and systems for the automotive original equipment market and the aftermarket. Tenneco markets its products principally under the Monroe®, Walker®, Gillet® and Clevite® Elastomer brand names. Among its products are Sensa-Trac® and Monroe Reflex® shocks and struts, Rancho shock absorbers, Walker® Quiet-Flow® mufflers, Dynomax® performance exhaust products, and Clevite® Elastomer noise, vibration and harshness control components.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:55 AM
rpoL98
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

"...time-tested spun-locked heads..."

time tested??? the time-tested experiences I had don't quite measure up to today's manufacturing techniques, like welded cases. but that was the standard back then. hi-perf muffler longevity has come a long way since.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:04 AM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by turbovette80
Thanks for the input, you convinced me these were worth a try so I contacted the seller,turns out the ones that fit (center inlet ,offset outlet) he hasn't got, they only flow one way,so I well keep on searching.

You want offset/offset, you can use center/offset
Old 01-27-2008, 01:10 PM
turbovette80
Instructor

Originally Posted by spedaleden
You want offset/offset, you can use center/offset
problem is he has only got offset inlet/center outlet.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:32 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by roscobbc
Not the same 'animal' as the original. This is same as most of todays mufflers and 'chambered' not 'straight-thru' .
Not sure how old this thread is but I will chime in. The above statement is true as far as getting the maximum horses out of your car. However I will say that I discovered today that I have these on a F150 Crewcab and they sound excellent. Probably closer to the Flowmaster sound than the Magnaflow or Borla raspiness I have grown fond of in recent years. I would never put Flows on my Z06 nor on my past Mustang Cobra, but I must say the sound of these Thrush mufflers is tempting.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:36 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran them,they sound almost like flowmasters.They are one of the mufflers that sound good on our cars,due to the muffler being in the back of car.I experimented with several types of mufflers to see which one sounded the best,i ran cherry bomb pros,which sounded really good,i ran flowmaster delta 40s and flowmaster 40s ,they were loud but sound good.I also ran flowtech terminator mufflers ,sounded ok but were heavy,I ran dynomax ultra flos,a straight through exhaust muffler,they flo really good but sounded like a truck,didnt like,big disapointment,i ran pypes mufflers,the street pro muffler sounded the best and the violater muffler sounded like a truck,loud ,didnt sound good,so all the ones that sounded best out of all of them was the cherrybomb pros and the flowmaster 40s,next would be the thrush welded,then the flowtech mufflers,next the pypes street pro muffler.my big disapointment was the straight through mufflers,didnt sound good at all.Note: i was going for the best sound not the best flowing muffler.I forgot the magnaflow muffler ,they sounded ok,but they dont sound like a muscle car sound ,they sound like a foreign sports cat.

Last edited by Billysvette; 07-06-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To thrush welded mufflers-any good

Quick Reply: thrush welded mufflers-any good