C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hydroboost conversion?

Old 02-12-2008, 09:12 PM
L82shark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default hydroboost conversion?

What all does it entail? As in, what all will I have to swap out. I have been eyeing the one in my wife's Tahoe.........

If it's not a whole lot of trouble (nothing on the vette ever is ) I wouldnt mind getting rid of the big greasy mushroom from under my hood. Anybody give me the quick rundown so I know if its worth checking into?
Old 02-13-2008, 12:25 AM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 02-13-2008, 12:53 AM
tigers123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default read this

http://www.hydratechbraking.com/ I am not recommending their products one way or the other as you can get parts from guys on the forum cheaper. Just look at their website as an overview of what it takes to make up the system. Maybe that will help a little.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:31 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by L82shark
What all does it entail? As in, what all will I have to swap out. I have been eyeing the one in my wife's Tahoe.........

If it's not a whole lot of trouble (nothing on the vette ever is ) I wouldnt mind getting rid of the big greasy mushroom from under my hood. Anybody give me the quick rundown so I know if its worth checking into?

Send me your email address and I will send you an information packet with some explanations and pictures and stuff.

The Hydro from your wife's Tahoe will make it hard to install. There are other better suited units available that make it a lot easier.

All you really need is the unit, prepped for use in a C3 and the pressure lines.

You can buy a complete assembled line kit that's ready to install for about $250 or you can buy the parts and make your own lines for under $150.

It's a fairly easy install, and you will need a 1977 or later master cylinder.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:41 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
Send me your email address and I will send you an information packet with some explanations and pictures and stuff.

The Hydro from your wife's Tahoe will make it hard to install. There are other better suited units available that make it a lot easier.

All you really need is the unit, prepped for use in a C3 and the pressure lines.

You can buy a complete assembled line kit that's ready to install for about $250 or you can buy the parts and make your own lines for under $150.

It's a fairly easy install, and you will need a 1977 or later master cylinder.

OR, you can use the junkyard lines you can grab with it from the junkyard, and most likely use them, with a few bends, some twists, cut the 3/8 line, and use a brass 3/8 union off the shelf at Lowes Depot.....

been that a way in my '72 here for some 6 years for the brass coupling use....2 years now for the HB conversion...works fine...
Old 02-13-2008, 10:04 AM
L82shark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

just kidding about the Tahoe, she already is suspicious I am swapping parts when I change the oil......

Looking for the plus and the minus of the hydraboost. My car is a 78. I think the booster has gone on it. If this is a good upgrade I would rather do that than spend about the same amount on stock.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:13 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

If you replace the vacuum power brake booster with a hydroboost system, can you use the original vacuum power brake system brake lines that mate up to the MC?
Old 02-13-2008, 04:17 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
If you replace the vacuum power brake booster with a hydroboost system, can you use the original vacuum power brake system brake lines that mate up to the MC?
I installed new SS lines when I did mine, they are stock length and are a little short, I had to straighten them out to work so I'll be replacing them before I am all done.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette

Yes I didn't have to replace my lines. They will usually stretch to meet the master just fine. In fact, mine were long enough to unbolt the master from the vacuum booster, so I could install the Hydro and install the master on the Hydro without ever cracking the brake lines so I didn't have to bleed them.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:43 PM
L82shark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

ok, I looked the stuff over and I am definitely interested. I have the care tore all apart now so installing shouldnt be a problem. Anybody have any ideas of where to start looking for the components?
Old 02-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by L82shark
ok, I looked the stuff over and I am definitely interested. I have the care tore all apart now so installing shouldnt be a problem. Anybody have any ideas of where to start looking for the components?

Call around to your local salvage yards. Ask if any of them have a hydraulic power brake booster for a 1994 or 1995 Chevy Astro Van or GMC Safari.

Once you get one I can walk you through how to modify it for your car.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:11 PM
ft laud mike
Le Mans Master

an aside question, will this system throw off the proportioning? can you use the original valve?
just a thought
mike
Old 02-13-2008, 10:18 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ft laud mike
an aside question, will this system throw off the proportioning? can you use the original valve?
just a thought
mike

Yes, the steering system acts as it should and is un-changed by the Hydrobooster system.

The only thing to be aware of is fluid temperature. It's usually not an issue but the fluid can get hotter when using a Hydrobooster and heat will kill a pump fast.

For normal driving it's not really an issue but if you are hard on your braking system I would suggest a small air fluid cooler, an inline job that's small and easy to install on the frame. Just run the return line fluid from the Hydro through the cooler before it gets to the pump.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:26 PM
straub18045
Racer

i just took one off of a 2006 g20 van this week, had seapage out of front seal, but a freebe, have to see if its still around. $500 new
Old 02-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Fuelie74
Racer

I am also planning on doing this swap but what is the reason for using a hydroboost off a 94 or 95 Astro Van? There are lost of vehicles out there running that system so what make that on the one you want? I have search and find very little on what unit is best for the swap and why.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:11 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Fuelie74
I am also planning on doing this swap but what is the reason for using a hydroboost off a 94 or 95 Astro Van? There are lost of vehicles out there running that system so what make that on the one you want? I have search and find very little on what unit is best for the swap and why.

Yeah there are a few reasons. The others can be modified to work in our cars but it's a lot harder. The pedal rod has to be threaded and the rods on the other models make that hard with their design. The mounting plates on many others won't match the firewall pattern of your C3 so a custom plate is needed.

Get notified of new replies

To hydroboost conversion?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hydroboost conversion?