C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed bleeders...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 04:22 PM
jimduchek
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed bleeders...

Hi. I got a set of speed bleeders yesterday but they didn't come with instructions (they were supposed to, weren't they?) At any rate, use seems kind of obvious but I thought I'd ask if there's anything I oughta watch for.

Oh and on a more annoying note, was putting in steel braided hose as well. Well, taking the old hose off the right side I managed to shear off the hose connector in the connecting block! :smash: Must... hate... rusty crap.... At any rate, after a brief panic period of thoughts of having to replace actual brake lines, I got the connecting block off the brake line but was unable to get the piece out. After trying many interesting non destructive methods, I resigned myself to a new block and tried some semi-destructive methods, anyway, I failed. I need a new one. Zip carries it, it's not expensive (some $10 from the restoration store), but I need my car back! I checked Autozone and Napa's online catalogs and no love. Think they might have it in the back if it's not in their computer? I'm just GRR. Maybe ACE hardware?

Jim

Old 12-05-2001, 04:46 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Speed bleeders... (jimduchek)

I broke the same part this spring. I pieced what I needed together from Carquest(from their weatherhead brass parts) and got it back on the road. Just make sure you use proper Brake parts, ie means properly flared fittings.

It worked fine all year, and I'll probably not bother replacing it with the proper part for awhile.

Old 12-05-2001, 05:23 PM
jimduchek
Racer

Default Re: Speed bleeders... (MikeC)

Do you (or anyone else reading this) know offhand what the sizes and threads are for the two types going in/out of this? The one is the standard 'brake line' size, I know that, but then the bigger one going to the hose is??

Jim

Old 12-05-2001, 06:04 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: Speed bleeders... (jimduchek)

I have the speed bleeders and no instructions came with them. Just screw them in to the calipers where regular bleeders go. They have to be tight but don't overtighten. Pretty much like regular bleeders. They work great by the way.

Why do you need the thread sizes?
Old 12-05-2001, 06:07 PM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Speed bleeders... (R. Bruno)

Speed bleeders? Can anyone educate me on what they do?
Old 12-05-2001, 06:36 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Speed bleeders... (Lohkay)

they are replacment bleeders for your brake calipers,you can bleed the brakes by yourself just loosen then up alittle bit and pump brakes it lets air out without letting air back in.summit sells them
Old 12-05-2001, 07:31 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Speed bleeders... (pats406nitrovette)

I looked at these last year and gave it some thought. I kind of wished I had went with them. I passed and have had to have help everytime I wanted to bleed the brakes. That means waiting untill someone comes home and getting them to help.

Its not to late, maybe I will be getting some this winter. The front suspension is coming off. Perfect opporitunity.
Old 12-05-2001, 07:53 PM
MoneyPit
Racer

Default Re: Speed bleeders... (Eddie 96)

Just buy a MightyVac. It is much cheaper, and I have found that it works very satifactorily. Plus, you can use it to check all of the other annoying vacuum operated parts on the vette.
Old 12-05-2001, 10:23 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Speed bleeders... (MoneyPit)

I bought a set but shortly afterwards was told that they cannot be transfered from one caliper to another. Since I plan on new calipers in the next couple years, I opted to hold off installing them for now.
Old 12-05-2001, 11:15 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: Speed bleeders... (1970 Stingray)

I still need to put mine on. I am going to pull the calipers off and paint them, and then install them.
Neil in Tenn

Get notified of new replies

To Speed bleeders...

Quick Reply: Speed bleeders...