C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Wave....

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 02:15 AM
spiru
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Wave....

Maybe its just my experience, but it seems the wave isn't as importance to Corvette owners as it used to be. I remember riding in my dad's vette when I was young and he always waved at passing vettes. That image has stuck with me with my own vette ownership but with so many others not doing this has diminished the magic of owning a vette a little bit for me.

[Modified by spiru, 6:16 AM 12/6/2001]
Old 12-06-2001, 03:00 AM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The Wave.... (spiru)

I always WAVE!! :cheers: :lol:
Old 12-06-2001, 03:06 AM
spiru
Instructor

Default Re: The Wave.... (Cajun75)

Cajun, that's a nice vette! Love the colour.
Old 12-06-2001, 04:15 AM
dusty350
Racer

Yep... I also always wave. :yesnod:

However, the past oh... 5 vettes I've seen around town, I was not able to establish a good wave position with... (ie: saw them at the last minute, to far away... etc.) It's really getting on my nerves! Eventually somebody is gonna' get a huge anticipated :seeya from me!
Old 12-06-2001, 08:00 AM
68350hp
Racer

I ALWAYS wave!!! :seeya :chevy
Old 12-06-2001, 11:43 AM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

The wave still seems alive and kickin here. Although some 20% never seem to wave. Another 50% don't until waved to or I just wave first before they get a chance. Also, some wave with just a slight movement or lifting their fingers from the wheel. Waving at another generation Vetter seems to result in less waves (C4, C5, ect).
But when I bought my first Vette I didn't know anything about the wave. It took me a few months to figure out why most the other Vettes were waving at me!
I wave every time now. If they don't wave back I just assume they are a new buyer or someone not into the culture. I even wave and then realize I'm not in my Vette :lol:
Old 12-06-2001, 11:52 AM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: The Wave.... (lbell101)

I got my 'vette, had heard about the wave...so I was hip to the culture.
:lol: :lol:

Rolled through my small town of 2 thousand, and low and behold a C5 was coming towards....no sooner than I saw him, and his hand was out high... :seeya ....thank gawd my windows were down....gave him a high :seeya right back....let me tell ya...it was a great welcome into the C3 era.....especially when a newer 'vette owner was waving .....nice to know some of them still keeping it real ! :cool:
Old 12-06-2001, 12:15 PM
corvettemaster
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: The Wave.... (ylose)

I always wave :seeya :seeya

But one thing that I notice is that a lot of newer vette owners don't wave. My theory = That the people with lots of cash to blow buy new vettes and don't know the tradition of the wave. And when you go to wave at them, they look at you like you are a poor idiot.
Just my $.02

[Modified by corvettemaster, 11:16 AM 12/6/2001]
Old 12-06-2001, 12:22 PM
72LT1Steve
Instructor

Two thumbs up from me on waving (and the other fingers as well). At least hear in Washington State waving is very pervasive (of course it may be that were just happy to have decent weather to have the cars out in the first place :D :D ).

Now not to pick on C4 & C5 guys/gals, but my experience is 60/40 on a wave from them, with the 60 going to not :confused: :confused:

Of course I have had over indulgent waves from C4/C5 drivers that help make up the percentage :cool: :cool:

Anyway I wave to 'em all! If they don't wave back this time, maybe they will next when I do it again (and again, and again.............) :D :D
Old 12-06-2001, 12:23 PM
79blackbat
Intermediate

Default Re: The Wave.... (corvettemaster)

I always wave :seeya :seeya

But one thing that I notice is that a lot of newer vette owners don't wave. My theory = That the people with lots of cash to blow buy new vettes and don't know the tradition of the wave. And when you go to wave at them, they look at you like you are a poor idiot.
Just my $.02

[Modified by corvettemaster, 11:16 AM 12/6/2001]
I 2nd that, seems to be the case with the C5 generation.
Old 12-06-2001, 12:24 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: The Wave.... (79blackbat)

I always wave :seeya
Old 12-06-2001, 12:25 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: The Wave.... (79blackbat)

Here we go again! Anyone notice that all the old timers are keeping out of this thread? All the newbies stirring this topic up (C5 owners this and that). Well, lets see how it goes THIS TIME before I bring out my story.....
Old 12-06-2001, 12:35 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Spiru -- if we pass on the road, I'll be waving. I understand your point. Those of us who have been around for a while know the meaning and tradition of the wave. Most of us continue to practice it and try to pass it on to others. I will agree there now exists a generation of Corvette owners who do not know of the tradition and have no idea what the wave means. I first experienced this with C4 drivers (not that I am blaming them) and have found it to continue with some C5 owners. I suspect these folks were driving their first Corvettes, probably leased. They were/are interested only with the car and were/are not interested in the tradition and lore surrounding the marque. I feel a little sorry for them. They're missing half the fun.:)
:seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya
Old 12-06-2001, 01:33 PM
VTHokie77Vette
Racer

That's one of the things I really look forward too. I always wave and hate it when I don't get one back.
Old 12-06-2001, 02:03 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Default Re: The Wave.... (VTHokie77Vette)

Just a stupid observation but it seems like most times guys will wave, or wave back to me. However with a woman driving a corvette I never seems to get a wave or a wave back. Must just be my lack of charm with the ladies. Oh well most of them don't get it anyway. :lol:
Old 12-06-2001, 02:08 PM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: The Wave.... (VTHokie77Vette)

I remember when I bought mine, I didn't know about the wave thingy and got waved by another vette owner...I was surprised and started waving from then on. Now I wave at every vette I see....only ones I miss sometimes are the C5 as they look like any other car. (Damn aerodynamics) and I can't seem to spot them until they're really close to me...bad vision I guess. :(
Old 12-06-2001, 02:56 PM
Tominator
Drifting

I always wave.

The wave I remember most was comming home from work each day in my Chevy Lumina and passing a C5 each day, thinking to myself wow what a cool car. But never waving sense I was in my daily car. Then the day I took my vet to work and on the way home I saw the C5 as usual and then he waved. I kept thinking why is he waving at me and then it dawned on me it was because I had a vet too! :jester

[Modified by Tominator, 12:58 PM 12/6/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To The Wave....

Old 12-06-2001, 04:43 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: The Wave.... (Tominator)

While driving around I almost get obsessed with looking for other Corvettes just so I can wave. I really feel bad when I see one in traffic and a truck or other cars get in the way of my line-of-sight so even if I do wave the other Corvette cannot see it. I always wave :seeya
John
Old 12-06-2001, 04:59 PM
RedHot
Le Mans Master

Location: Recovering from a tragic boating accident in Jacksonville Fl
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet

Default Re: The Wave....

I was out driving the Vette last weekend and saw a Black C5 coming from the opposite direction, so naturally I waved. :seeya There was a blonde chick driving with her eyes straight foreward. I think the nose was slightly elevated also. No wave back from her. :sad:
However 5 or 6 cars back was a guy driving a Z3 with the top down. As we passed each other, he looked over and gave a big wave. Ya just never know.
:cool:

Now I wave at every vette I see....only ones I miss sometimes are the C5 as they look like any other car. (Damn aerodynamics) and I can't seem to spot them until they're really close to me...bad vision I guess.
When ever I see a pair of wide set DRL's low to the ground, I know it's a C5 comin', so I can get ready to :seeya
Old 12-06-2001, 06:19 PM
Ben Taylor
Pro

If only there was someone around here to wave to...

I think most C5 owners don't know that there were Corvettes made before 1997

Quick Reply: The Wave....