C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Headlight Switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Derby98
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default Changing Headlight Switch

How hard is it to swap out a headlight switch?
Can i just reach up under the dash & change it or is it more involved?
Old 03-06-2008, 08:39 PM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Derby98

Ya...you can reach up and do it. A bit of a pain but do-able. You need to lie on your back...so if you are a big guy thats different.

Jim
Old 03-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Derby98
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by jdp6000
Ya...you can reach up and do it. A bit of a pain but do-able. You need to lie on your back...so if you are a big guy thats different.

Jim
Thanks Jim, I'll crawl up it there in the morning.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:46 PM
dholifield
Instructor

Derby, i was able to change mine out by removing the dash pad. tight but it worked
Old 03-06-2008, 10:09 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by dholifield
Derby, i was able to change mine out by removing the dash pad. tight but it worked
I had to remove the screws for my LH dash and loosen the column to get access in that corner on my 68.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:57 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Derby98
jdp6000 is correct for '78 and on, with the dash redisign, but for us 68-77 crew, you have two choices. 1. drop the steering column (i'm not joking) and then you can drop the drivers panel out and access the switch.
2. remove the dash pad screws and CAREFULLY pull up on the pad untilll you can access it, if your not carefull, you can crack the 30+ y/o plastic of the pad.
No you cannot access it from below, there is a nice piece of metal plate between it and the air.

To drop the steering column there are 3 points that must be un-done. 1. the rag joint cross bolts. 2 the firewall plate- 2 bolts on the inside firewall, outside bolt comes out, pivot it on the inside bolt/stud 180° and remove, the inside one is a stud welded to the engine side plate, 3. the two bolts on the underside of the steering column. edit:***The problem with just loosening the steering column hold up bolts is that it places undo stress on the column lower bearing, when you move it.***

Reassembly, the rag joint bolts loosly, the steering column hold up bolts loosly, then the rag joint crossbolts in tight, then the column bolts tight, then the plate bolts tight.

Last edited by RunningMan373; 03-07-2008 at 04:01 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:35 AM
sgm2004
Instructor

Originally Posted by RunningMan373
jdp6000 is correct for '78 and on, with the dash redisign, but for us 68-77 crew, you have two choices. 1. drop the steering column (i'm not joking) and then you can drop the drivers panel out and access the switch.
2. remove the dash pad screws and CAREFULLY pull up on the pad untilll you can access it, if your not carefull, you can crack the 30+ y/o plastic of the pad.
No you cannot access it from below, there is a nice piece of metal plate between it and the air.

To drop the steering column there are 3 points that must be un-done. 1. the rag joint cross bolts. 2 the firewall plate- 2 bolts on the inside firewall, outside bolt comes out, pivot it on the inside bolt/stud 180° and remove, the inside one is a stud welded to the engine side plate, 3. the two bolts on the underside of the steering column. edit:***The problem with just loosening the steering column hold up bolts is that it places undo stress on the column lower bearing, when you move it.***

Reassembly, the rag joint bolts loosly, the steering column hold up bolts loosly, then the rag joint crossbolts in tight, then the column bolts tight, then the plate bolts tight.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:43 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

The first time I did it on my 77 I used your number 2. The trick is finding the release button for the rod/****. I seem to remember removing some other parts down below....like the vent tube and something else. Sounds like a much bigger job on a 71.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Derby98
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

thanks lads. I think i'm going to pull the dash pad as I plan to swap out the crappy dash speakers anyway so no time like the present.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:46 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I need to replace mine and I have the drivers side dash pad loose. I can't see how to get the switch out of there. Is there a screw holding the bracket on the backside of the switch? Like I said, my pad is "loose". Does it need to come all the way out?
Old 04-07-2008, 02:26 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

disconnect the battery first, then you have to be able to get to the front top of the switch, pull the light switch to full on, then find the little push button to push to release the shaft, then there is a threaded hollow bolt that screws into the dash, holding the switch in. Be aware that the two vac lines will need to be marked, uninstalled and reinstalled in the correct locations. eiser if you drop the column.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:50 AM
squirrelguy
Instructor

I just replaced mine on my 1970, and all I did was remove the screws on the "Instrament panel" on that left side as well as the 3 screws that hold the lower portion of the steering column COVER on. Than just pulled the top left upper corner of the Instrament panel back and no prob. Never touched the dash pad itself. A bit tight, but it beats I.M.H.O. dropping the steering column itself. Might be a bit different on those later models though, I'm not sure. Job took me all of about 20 minutes. Good luck with it.

Last edited by squirrelguy; 04-07-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:37 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

'68-'70 models can be changed just by pulling the front drivers side instrument panel forward to access the switch.

'71-'77 models you do have to drop the steering column.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:20 PM
squirrelguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by sperkins
'68-'70 models can be changed just by pulling the front drivers side instrument panel forward to access the switch.

'71-'77 models you do have to drop the steering column.
Really? From what I can see AT LEAST 70 thru 72 look exactly the same. Whats the diff. that makes it neccsary to drop the column? Must be something behind the Instrament panel that can't be seen that make it so. They sure look the same from the outside.

Last edited by squirrelguy; 04-08-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by squirrelguy
Really? From what I can see AT LEAST 70 thru 72 look exactly the same. Whats the diff. that makes it neccsary to drop the column? Must be something behind the Instrament panel that can't be seen that make it so. They sure look the same from the outside.
69-72 should be almost completely the same...

mine's a 72 and I just loosened everything up and then pulled it open on the left side of the driver's side of the lower dash pad...I can easily access the headlight switch. But when I pull the shaft out to the on position and then depress the little button... it doesn't release. I tried a few different times but no go on letting loose... any other ideas?

thanks,

Sully
Old 04-09-2008, 09:30 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Really? From what I can see AT LEAST 70 thru 72 look exactly the same.
I got that info from my Haynes manual.

when I pull the shaft out to the on position and then depress the little button... it doesn't release. I tried a few different times but no go on letting loose... any other ideas?
I fought with mine yesterday for nearly half an hour before it decided to cooperate. I don't really know what made it finally work though. I kept rotatting the shaft inside the switch in very small increments until it finally popped out. Make sure the **** is fully out though.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I got that info from my Haynes manual.

I fought with mine yesterday for nearly half an hour before it decided to cooperate. I don't really know what made it finally work though. I kept rotatting the shaft inside the switch in very small increments until it finally popped out. Make sure the **** is fully out though.
will try that tonight... i have the new switch ready to go in just gotta get that old crapper out! Thanks.... we'll see how it goes...

Sully

Get notified of new replies

To Changing Headlight Switch

Old 04-09-2008, 03:07 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

I picked one up yesterday from Advance Auto, but it doesn't have the vacuum ports on it.

Where did you buy yours?
Old 04-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I picked one up yesterday from Advance Auto, but it doesn't have the vacuum ports on it.

Where did you buy yours?
autozone... wells switch 141... no vacuum stuff either but easy mod!

sully
Old 04-09-2008, 08:39 PM
squirrelguy
Instructor

Where did you buy yours?
Ordered mine from Mid America. Most any of those cataloge guys have them. I too tried autozone, N.A.P.A. etc. all did not have the vac. ports. B.T.W. I too saw in the "Haynes manuel that 71 thru 77 must drop steer column. Damn they all look the same.(71 to at least 73) Can't figure why that drop is neccessary.

Quick Reply: Changing Headlight Switch