C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Block storage

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:55 PM
myc3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Long Block storage

Over the winter I completed the assembly of my 406 long block and I intended to install it in my 77 L48 this spring. I have just been told that I will be deployed for at least 6-9 months so my spring project is on hold.

How can I prepare the long block so that storage for at least 9 months will not cause problems. It is fully assembled (block,rotating assembly, heads, intake, rockers, valve covers, fuel pump, water pump etc...) except for the carburetor and the distributor.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a very humid garage, so when I am storing an engine I do a few things to prevent rust buildup.

Is the engine painted? Any bare metal surfaces should be coated with a spray oil of some kind to prevent rust.

First, I squirt some oil into the cylinders and install the spark plugs. Next, cover all openings with tape or plastic to keep moisture out, rodents out, and dust out.

Next, I wrap some rice up in paper towels, bound by rubber bands, and set a few on the engine, and wrap the whole thing in plastic right on the engine stand.

Then, when it's unwrapped, it should be just as it was the day you stored it.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:41 PM
myc3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes the engine is painted.

So really all I need to do is squirt some oil down the plug holes in the head, seal the openings and wrap in plastic?

I like the idea with the rice. I assume this acts as a moisture absorbent.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by myc3
I like the idea with the rice. I assume this acts as a moisture absorbent.

Yep, it's cheap, easy to get, and works VERY well at absorbing any moisture in the bag while it's stored.

Get notified of new replies

To Long Block storage

Quick Reply: Long Block storage