C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pressure gauge shows a drop in pressure as engine warms....WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Speaking of Mechnical Fuel Pumps...........

Originally Posted by 66rag427
All things being equal with a mechanical pump higher pressure on cold start is normal. The diaphram softens as it heats.
How can you tell if a mechanical fuel pump is "going" bad ?? Mine makes a fairly loud clicking sound when the motor is warmed up (especially after some highway or WOT driving). The motor runs fine both cold and hot and if it weren't for the clicking sound I wouldn't even be worried about it. And no, it's not an exhaust leak or lifter. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:03 PM
temvette72
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A clicking sound could be from a broken return spring on the fuel pump actuating arm. That's what happened to me. Thankfully, fuel pump R and R isn't that bad and pumps are cheap.

Temvette72
Old 05-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by temvette72
A clicking sound could be from a broken return spring on the fuel pump actuating arm. That's what happened to me. Thankfully, fuel pump R and R isn't that bad and pumps are cheap.

Temvette72
Was your car running ok even after your spring broke ?? Mine runs fine so I'm wondering how that's happening if there's something wrong with the pump. I hear what you're saying about "pumps are cheap"..........
Old 06-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Fonz69
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noticed the same problem on my 69

Liquid gauge shows 9psi cold and after motor reaches operating temp it goes to 3psi

Got a new guage from summitt and does the same thing.

However, after the motor was hot I replaced the gauge with a cold one from my parts bin and the pressure returned to 9 psi

My take on it is the gauges are junk and with too much heat they read incorrectly

Someone could try the faulty gauge on a temporary line away from the motor and see how it reacts away from all the heat

I had a liquid gauge on my jetboat and since the motor was open air I am sure the heat was not a problem because that one never showed a drop in pressure.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:09 PM
bonehead2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteguy75
UPDATE... The gauge was bad. Summit sent me another gauge and so far no problems!
So is the guage reading steady/properly now?.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:00 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 69 N.O.X. RATT
Yup, or ignore it. Those little gauges are a POS
There was a discussion a few years ago about those gauges, I can't remember the details but the consensus was they aren't worth looking at

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure gauge shows a drop in pressure as engine warms....WHY?