C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

may be getting hooker headers and side ppes, i have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 05:53 PM
another-user
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default may be getting hooker headers and side ppes, i have a few questions

this will be for my 69 small block vert, 4spd, mostly stock, power brakes, manual steering, no AC, no AIR.

i just found a very nice deal on a complete set of hooker headers and pipes, and havnt had much of a chance to research installing and fitment issues. i need some quick answers before i pull the trigger.

do any components need to be moved/modified on either side of the motor for these to fit?

i have standard plugs and wires, will i be able to reuse these or will i need new specialty ones? i know i have to keep the wires away from the headers.

ive heard some mention of people cooking their starter with headers. any truth to this? best way to prevent this? im thinking high temp header wrap in that area.

from what little reading ive done, it looks like ill have to trim the rocker molding to give it a bit of clearance where the pipes exit from under the car, is this right?

and of course, the obvious question, approximate performance increase? this would be on a stock 69 350/300 small block with a holley double pumper sitting on top of it, and stock rams horns and under car exhaust.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:02 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey whats up. I have the hooker headers/ sidepipes on my stock 80' 350 small block and I can answer most of your questions.

First off about the starter... I bought a smaller gear reduction starter for my car when I had the headers installed. The heat is apparently an issue and my old starter was starting to break down anyways so it would be a smart investment. But wrap may help out.

Next is the spark plug wires... get new high heat header wires. Long enough to route underneath the headers. I had one of my old plug wires get fried in half because of the heat. When my rps would hit 4500 or so in 3rd gear I could smell the wire melting.

I never had any issues with moving any engine components around even though the magazine I bought it from said I would need a $60 bracket. I believe some shims where used and everything was fine. Also no trimming of any part of my car was required... thank god.

I also have no A/C and its pretty cool inside my car still. Engine temps havent increased from what Ive seen and it does feel like my car has a little more hp but im not sure on the exact numbers. I have a 4" O.D. collector and 2" sweet thunder slip in mufflers. The headers have been on for a few weeks now and you cant see any color change so far. Just watch those speed bumps :P Oh and drive around at about 2500-3000 rpm for a minute and let off... sweet thunder.

The following users liked this post:
Retcwby (07-13-2017)
Old 05-22-2008, 07:07 PM
another-user
Safety Car

thats the info that i like to hear.

i would replace the starter, but i just did that about 3 years ago

as for the wires, ill have to see how spacing goes. maybe with some creative routing ill be ok with what i have right now.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:32 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to MAD electric here is the page http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/st-1.shtml This will greatly help the starter problem. It can also give you an easy way to place a bump start switch.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:43 PM
racin
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the Hooker pipes are the correct pipes for a corvette, they should be a good fit and relative easy to install, you will have to trim the side molding and you will need special bolts and bushings to mount to the frame on the side, I have installed Hookers on a 69 sb and a 72 bb and never had any problems with the starter. You are correct about just trying to route the wires. As for increase HP, I not sure, but it will sound so good, you probably won't care. The only downside is they rust from the inside out in a few years.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:50 PM
racin
7th Gear

Sorry , I forgot that the second part of downside is you and your passenger will burn your leg getting out, at least once, especially if they are chrome.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

haha amen to that. 2nd day i had them i burned myself... worth it though. although my kit came with bolts and bushings and everything. i keep checking where all of it is connected for any unusual wear or heat issues and i havent seen anything. sounds amazing i agree. i do tighten the header bolts down every week.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:53 PM
another-user
Safety Car

i always were long jeans, so burning my self wont be an issue.

im waiting for pictures on them though. guy says theyre nice driver quality ones, but i dont know if theyre coated on chrome yet.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:55 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

If they are not Chrome you are in luck as you can simply have them redone.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:56 PM
79L824SPD
Intermediate

Yea, Just got my self a set of black Hooker Headers and pipes. Going to install them myself this weekend. Putting them on a 79 L82. Hope it goes as smooth as you guys are saying!!
Old 05-23-2008, 01:08 AM
Kadorja
Drifting

i had a auto place put mine on but it didnt take more than a few hours. hard part was installing the large headers they had to pull the motor to get them in i believe. and jeans will help but it still hurts like hell. i had some on and it still hurt... luckily didnt leave a mark
Old 05-23-2008, 02:26 AM
rclinton
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by racin
Sorry , I forgot that the second part of downside is you and your passenger will burn your leg getting out, at least once, especially if they are chrome.
You can always buy some steel shields from Dean. Look great and work better

http://www.steelshields.com/
Old 05-23-2008, 06:51 AM
CorvetteDave01
Burning Brakes

I have them on my '76 with a small block.

I had to trim the front of the rocker covers (notched them). I took the back tires off of mine and slipped the notched rocker covers forward from the back with the car jacked up and the headers and pipes installed.

I think these headers are better than regular headers on starters as they don't go under the starter. I have a mini starter on it with no problems yet.

If you are getting used headers, check the pipes closely. If they are steel, they are likely rusted and the glasspacks burned out. I would consider the price of new pipes with what you pay for them as you may very well need to buy new ones. If they aren't separated, make sure to separate them before you buy them. I bought stainless sidepipes, but they WILL yellow from heat. ceramic coated pipes and headers might be the best?

When slipping on the pipes, use a TON of anti-sieze to enable future separating.
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2008, 09:02 AM
jbroughton
Racer

I did not have to notch the rocker moldings on my '69. Some do, some don't... try fitting them first before cutting anything.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:31 AM
79L824SPD
Intermediate

Installed my Hooker system this weekend. Pretty easy actually. Jacked rear of car up about a foot. Did most of the work that way. Passenger side was a snap. Drivers side a little more to it. Had to jack up the front a little more on this side. Rocker Panel trim, didn't have to trim or notch. Took off rear tire and slid them in from the rear. Had to trim off the tube mounting bolts though. Did it all with standard tools, made a little short wrench to tighten the rear header bolts.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:26 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I like the black ones best. You can redo them easily. Plus you get more of a race car look. The chrome ones are just a little too much bling for my taste.

Just remember to never wear shorts when you drive this car. Every single person I know has burned themselves on Hookers. It's not a matter of it - it's a matter of when.

Richard Newton

How to Restore and Modify Your Corvette, 1968-1982

Corvette Restoration Guide: 1963-1967
Old 05-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 261 Likes on 211 Posts

I've had mine on the 78' for 5 years, never had starter problem. And yes, buy some heat shields so you don't get the side pipe branding. I had to trim the rocker molding on one side only. To get the rocker molding back on after the side pipes are installed, remove the rear wheel and slide it in from the rear.

Last edited by Duke94; 05-26-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:17 AM
another-user
Safety Car

just got pictures this evening, and to me it looks like a bit of work and some high temp black paint, theyll be as good as new.

theres a 99% chance ill be picking these up. once ive burned my self enough times, or have a nice chunk of change sitting around, ill pick up deans Stingray heat shields for them.

Get notified of new replies

To may be getting hooker headers and side ppes, i have a few questions

Quick Reply: may be getting hooker headers and side ppes, i have a few questions