C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 Vette Tach Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 07:50 PM
hardworkinman
hardworkinman
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79 Vette Tach Question

My tach recently stopped working after I got my car back from the paint shop. Does the tach work off of a fuse and if so, could that be why it's not working? I can't hardly see the fuse box, does anyone know which one it would be?

I know they were disconnecting the battery several time so I just figured they might have blown a fuse...
Old 05-24-2008, 08:01 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

In the diagrahm, it looks like the same fuse that supplies the gauges also supplies power to the tach, so it they are working, then the fuse must be good. Did you check to make sure it's plugged in good at the distributor? Should be a white wire there.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:20 PM
hardworkinman
hardworkinman
Support Corvetteforum!

the only other gauge that stopped working right was the temp gauge. I have unplugged and replugged the wire at the dist., but no change. Not sure what else to do.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:18 PM
cruise83
Instructor

Default some trouble shooting steps

1) bypass the tach filter, if it works replace the filter wire
2) take the speedo/tach lens off and the trim, unscrew the tach face and pull the face out, check the tach board by touching a 9v battery terminals to the 12v and coil screws, if the tach zero's out the board is still good.
3) the top left hand corner fuse "inst lap" should be checked
4) make sure the main speedo/tach wire is clipped into the back and is touching the circiut board properly. You can see if it is clipped in as it is on the left side of the tach housing behind the tach board,
Old 05-24-2008, 10:29 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

When you turn the car off, the tach will go up to some number and stay. When you turn the key on, if the tach goes to zero, you have 12 volts and ground. If that happens, forget a fuse. The white wire coming from the distributor connects to a filter bolted to the manifold, then the other end of the filter goes to the tach. If bypassing the filter doesn't help, you need to pull out the tach (from the front) and look at the connections and the board. If the board has a burned spot, you probably need a new one. If you do, get one that is pre-calibrated for the 78-79. Willcox has one for around $75.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:01 PM
hardworkinman
hardworkinman
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
When you turn the car off, the tach will go up to some number and stay. When you turn the key on, if the tach goes to zero, you have 12 volts and ground. If that happens, forget a fuse. The white wire coming from the distributor connects to a filter bolted to the manifold, then the other end of the filter goes to the tach. If bypassing the filter doesn't help, you need to pull out the tach (from the front) and look at the connections and the board. If the board has a burned spot, you probably need a new one. If you do, get one that is pre-calibrated for the 78-79. Willcox has one for around $75.
that's what it use to do prior to taking it to the body shop. now it is at 0 and doesn't move at all. I'll try to find the filter and do this first. Thanks for all your help
Old 05-25-2008, 04:42 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

It won't be the filter. You'll have to get the 12 volts and ground to the tach first. If it never moves off zero when you turn the power off, sounds like the tach movement is stuck. I'd take off the plastic lens and gently move it. It should bounce up to around 800 rmp with the switch off.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:12 PM
hardworkinman
hardworkinman
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks for everybody's input. I am going to check everything out this weekend. Anybody else have any suggestions?
Old 05-29-2008, 07:19 AM
kyeakel
Instructor

Did the paint shop disconnect any ground straps to the engine? Both gauges are engine related and need a good ground to work properly. Sometimes just moving the old ground straps causes them to break.

Kipp

Get notified of new replies

To 79 Vette Tach Question

Quick Reply: 79 Vette Tach Question