C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying the ZZ383, what else do I need to complete?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 12:43 AM
Rottenrob
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bought the ZZ383 now with picture goodness?

I got off the phone with my local Chevy dealership parts department today and next week I should take ownership of a ZZ383! This has been a long time coming, and I couldn't be happier.

That was a big purchase and I would like to swap what I can from the stock engine. Currently I have a MSD coil, wires, Pro Billet Distributor, 6al Box, Performer intake. I have a 3.08 gear ratio. My transmission is a 700r4 which I'm pretty sure is a StageII Bowtie. It's not newer though, and I will have to check the literature the prior owner gave me to be certain. The Stage 2 is rated to 450hp/500tq.

If it's the stage 1, it's only rated to 350hp, but someone once mentioned to me that I could get around that with a different stall.. Any advice assuming it is the stage 2? Assuming it's the stage 1?

What more will I need to install this in my car?

New engine mounts..
1. Do I need a new stall converter? Any recommendations?
2. Do I need an aluminum radiator?
3. So then electric fans?
4. Do I need a new water pump? Can I or should I reuse the old one?

5. I have an Edelbrock 1406 carb, and also a Demon 625 CFM, do I need to go bigger?

6. I have a Performer intake, and a small block hood am I really shooting myself in the foot not upgrading to the RPM, which i understand also might fit with a drop base?

7. Fuel pump?

8. What am I missing?

I would like to make one large order through Jegs or Summit tomorrow, and would appreciate all of the advice I can get.

Thank you everybody in advance.

Robert

Last edited by Rottenrob; 06-17-2008 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:37 AM
corvetteterry
Advanced

i bought their supertine set up as well and you will nedd headers
Old 06-05-2008, 09:30 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Typically a 383 like a 750 cfm carb so the 1406 might be a little small for maximum all out horsepower. Also, I believe the ZZ383 engine calls for only 29 degrees total advance on the distributor. If you have a distributor set up for a regular small block it's probably optimized for 36 degrees total advance. You may need a larger bushing to limit the advance while still maintaining your initial timing setting.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Kellys~hotrods
Racer

Originally Posted by vettfixr
Typically a 383 like a 750 cfm carb so the 1406 might be a little small for maximum all out horsepower. Also, I believe the ZZ383 engine calls for only 29 degrees total advance on the distributor. If you have a distributor set up for a regular small block it's probably optimized for 36 degrees total advance. You may need a larger bushing to limit the advance while still maintaining your initial timing setting.
I agree you will need a larger carb, and plan on spending some time tuning it. they rarely come out of the box tuned properly for your application. The ZZ383 comes with fast burn heads, and I believe these have a vortec style intake port location, which means you might need to buy a new manifold. Exhaust port location should remain the same for these heads when compared to the older design so your existing exhaust should fit, but I would strongly reccomend headers unless you want the engine bay to appear stock. You should be able to use your existing ignition system, but double check the maximum reccomended advance for the ZZ 383. If your ignition system has interchangable advance limiting bushings, install the proper one and check that the max advance is what it should be. I have used an MSD billet distributor for this in the past with good results. As for cooling, more power generally makes more heat so a radiator with more cooling capacity is a good idea, or electric fans with greater air flow than the factory engine driven fan. A cool motor is a happy motor

I am planning on using this engine in my car, so when you're done post some pics pls.

Kelly

Last edited by Kellys~hotrods; 06-05-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:23 PM
tpjb57
Advanced

I too am thinking about the zz383, can anybody tell me what I can expect power wise compared to my slightly modified stock 350 that had 190hp. might have 225 with the air gap, holley, headers and dist. I hope to use the intake, carb, headers and ignition on the new engine. I do have a Th350 stock transmission. Am I gonna break it? My other option is just dropping the gm 330 hp crate for $2000 less money.
Tom
Old 06-05-2008, 03:01 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tpjb57
I too am thinking about the zz383, can anybody tell me what I can expect power wise compared to my slightly modified stock 350 that had 190hp. might have 225 with the air gap, holley, headers and dist. I hope to use the intake, carb, headers and ignition on the new engine. I do have a Th350 stock transmission. Am I gonna break it? My other option is just dropping the gm 330 hp crate for $2000 less money.
Tom
Well you can expect about double the horsepower you now have and most likely another 100 lbs/ft of torque. You can also expect to become good friends with your tire distributor and your differential rebuilder.

The ZZ383 is rated at 425 horsepower and 449 lb/ft of torque.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Rottenrob
Burning Brakes

Thank for the advice Corvetteterry, Vettfixr & Kellys-Hotrods.

I actually do have headers, I just forget to list them here, it's nice to know they will work. So I'll be looking to buy a performer RPM intake for vortec heads..

I understand that the aluminum radiator will do a better job of cooling, just wondering at what point do the stock really stop keeping up, assuming it's a healthy radiator?

I just hope my transmission is up to it.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:01 PM
tigers123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default This will help you

This will help you find the parts you need for install. Read the entire thing as it covers a lot of information about your zz383. I'm assuming you ordered the complete motor, so you won't need a melonized gear for your distributor unless you plan on using an aftermarket one. Also the flexplate is different for the one piece rear seal motor.

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_r...sp88962517.pdf
Old 06-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Rottenrob
Burning Brakes

So here are pictures of the zz383, after some Chevy Orange high temp primer and paint.

Still waiting on the fabricated aluminum valve covers I bought through ebay. I plan on installing an Edelbrock Performer RPM, a Holley 4160, an l88 drop base air cleaner, with a Summit open air element aircleaner...

Short neck water pump, fuel pump, high torque mini starter, new aluminum timing cover... aluminum radiator, hardened gear for the distributor and new bushing, so far so good. A little worried about the 4160 and clearance... what with the choke and all..

Really wanted to go with mechanical secondaries- I really like the feel of opening them up on the highway.. but I gather with an auto and no drag racing... it's really not wise..

Vetterterry I looked into the serpentine system offered through GM but found it to be too costly for me, something further down-the-line.

Hope these pics inspire you Kelly
Any new thoughts anybody?

Last edited by Rottenrob; 06-17-2008 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:26 PM
WillEE
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a ZZ383 in my '68 Camaro and do like it. I orderd mine from Summit a couple years ago and it came with the water pump - maybe they stopped including it. Of course that was the long waterpump which you wouldn't need. I have found the plastic timing cover to be irritating in regards to timing the engine. I tried a few aftermarket pointers that wouldn't work with it. The indention is very hard to read once then engine and accessories are all together. What I did was custom bent a piece of coat hanger and mount it on one of the head accessory bolts so aligns with mark on cover but sticks out farther so easy to read. Otherwise - you're having to guess cause you can't get a good read on that stupid plastic indention. That's my one complaint with this engine. However you may want to mark it with some reflective white paint so easier to see but will still be hard to get the angle on it. I've seen some publications on this engine that say 32 total and others that say 29 total. I'm currently at 32 all in by 3,000rpm w/o pinging but maybe I will try backing off. Anyone else have any feedback or input on that. Yes - make sure to get the vortec manifold. The older style will bolt up but not align the ports well at all. Be sure and notice the tq. settings prescribed for this vortec type manifold as I recall they were lower than you'd expect - sometingn like 12 - 14ft. lbs. Make sure to get proper exh gasket for the D-port heads.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:39 PM
CorvetteDave01
Burning Brakes

Very nice! That is going to be a cool setup, especially with the L88 hood setup.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:01 PM
11Jake
Racer

Originally Posted by Rottenrob
So here are pictures of the zz383, after some Chevy Orange high temp primer and paint.

Still waiting on the fabricated aluminum valve covers I bought through ebay. I plan on installing an Edelbrock Performer RPM, a Holley 4160, an l88 drop base air cleaner, with a Summit open air element aircleaner...

Short neck water pump, fuel pump, high torque mini starter, new aluminum timing cover... aluminum radiator, hardened gear for the distributor and new bushing, so far so good. A little worried about the 4160 and clearance... what with the choke and all..

Really wanted to go with mechanical secondaries- I really like the feel of opening them up on the highway.. but I gather with an auto and no drag racing... it's really not wise..

Vetterterry I looked into the serpentine system offered through GM but found it to be too costly for me, something further down-the-line.

Hope these pics inspire you Kelly
Any new thoughts anybody?
I got a almost brand new Holley 4160 for sale if your interested.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:03 PM
myway76
Instructor

WillEE, On mine i"m running about 30-31 degrees at wot. Vacuum advance perminently disconected. No pings,,,,
Old 06-18-2008, 10:27 AM
capt.t
Advanced

I have a 78 with a zz383, rpm air gap manifold, 770 cfm holley, hooker headers,msd 6al ignition, 2800 stall converter, turbo 350 with transgo shift kit, and 308 rear gears. car consistently turns 13.2, 104 mph at the track. I find this to be a great combo and you are going to really like it. It will for sure wake your vette up!
Old 06-18-2008, 10:59 AM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

Received 126 Likes on 103 Posts

It is important to note as WillEE mentioned....you must use a Vortec style manifold as a standard bolt pattern manifolds passages will not line up correctly. If you decide to use a standard bolt pattern intake then it must be a special "raised runner" style. There aren't many available with this raised runner designation.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying the ZZ383, what else do I need to complete?

Quick Reply: Buying the ZZ383, what else do I need to complete?