C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new supercharged engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 02:54 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

NICE "UP GRADE"!!! How much do you want for that old Weiland 144?
Old 06-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hugie82
NICE "UP GRADE"!!! How much do you want for that old Weiland 144?
dont know,never thought about selling it yet .
Old 06-10-2008, 09:23 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Billysvette
dont know,never thought about selling it yet .
PM me if you want to let it go. I might be able to talk the wife into a 40th birthday gift!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gkull
I'll have to bring up the investment scheme if I ever get into the waste of money Corvette discussion again.

Aluminum heads need exhaust studs
Gkull ,i have a question about the exhaust studs,there is not that much room to play around when you are installing the headers,is there enough room if you have studs in place and you are tring to slide the headers past the studs,if you know what im tring to say.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:41 PM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Very nice
Old 06-17-2008, 02:47 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Gkull ,i have a question about the exhaust studs,there is not that much room to play around when you are installing the headers,is there enough room if you have studs in place and you are tring to slide the headers past the studs,if you know what im tring to say.
these are the ARP universal 5/16th nut exhaust studs. It makes it easy to R&R the headers. I kind of have had to change motors quite often. the studs are the only way to go because you are not taking the chance of stripping out the threads in the aluminum head and installing the header gasket and headers is much simpler.

I have a complete spare motor for my Vette so if my main race motor pops I yank it out and can be back and running in a short period of time.

This is my old 427ci The POS didn't last 3-4 months before the crankshaft broke

Last edited by gkull; 06-17-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

these are the ARP universal 5/16th nut exhaust studs. It makes it easy to R&R the headers. I kind of have had to change motors quite often. the studs are the only way to go because you are not taking the chance of stripping out the threads in the aluminum head and installing the header gasket and headers is much simpler.

I have a complete spare motor for my Vette so if my main race motor pops I yank it out and can be back and running in a short period of time.

This is my old 427ci The POS didn't last 3-4 months before the crankshaft broke

So you have no problem sliding the headers between the frame and the heads? mine is real tight.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:06 PM
gkull
Team Owner

So you have no problem sliding the headers between the frame and the heads? mine is real tight.
I have Hooker Super comps 1 3/4 Why it is so easy is the studs hold the Fel Pro blue steel header gasket in place and the headers just slip on.

My dart heads even have .600 inch raised exhaust ports and the AFR heads are also slightly raised.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

I have Hooker Super comps 1 3/4 Why it is so easy is the studs hold the Fel Pro blue steel header gasket in place and the headers just slip on.

My dart heads even have .600 inch raised exhaust ports and the AFR heads are also slightly raised.
What way are you putting the headers in,from the top or from underneath? Also, if you know it,what is the stock number on your headers,i have super comps too.I tried to put my headers in with the old engine still in the car and i could not get them to slide in from the top.and that was with the stock heads.

Last edited by Billysvette; 06-17-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What way are you putting the headers in,from the top or from underneath? Also, if you know it,what is the stock number on your headers,i have super comps too.I tried to put my headers in with the old engine still in the car and i could not get them to slide in from the top.and that was with the stock heads.

I have now done two sets of headers. Both were Hooker Super Comps, and both slid in from the bottom. The engine did not need to be lifted, but the front of the car did need to be about 20" off of the ground.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:08 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
I have now done two sets of headers. Both were Hooker Super Comps, and both slid in from the bottom. The engine did not need to be lifted, but the front of the car did need to be about 20" off of the ground.
I kinda thought they would have to go in from the bottom My other set of headers went in from the top and came out from the top.They fit alot closer to the block then the super comps.sharper bends.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:29 AM
gkull
Team Owner

like Durango said: You have to be high enough to fit the pipes up and in.

Big block Cameros really suck. You have to pull the motor to take the pipes off. Or install the pipes and wire them off to the sides and install the motor

Quick Reply: My new supercharged engine