C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for opinions on Rear Suspension choices

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 11:12 AM
joepcad
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Composite or steel? looking for opinions on Rear Suspension choices

I am looking for opinions from someone who has been in a similar situation.
I am replacing my spring, struts, shocks and wheel bearings because of a bad wheel bearing.
I am looking for opinions on the available choices
composite or steal spring. Are the composite worth the extra $'s.
My car is a small block, but is there a benefit to go to the higher rate composite spring? looks like they come in 315, 340 and 355lb. I see complaints about being bouncy on the composite and the shocks are more important
also choices on best shocks to compensate for the composite? are the KYB G2's better than the AC Delco's?
is the struts with the aduster in the shaft better than the factory adujusters?

Last edited by joepcad; 06-15-2008 at 01:32 PM. Reason: no responses
Old 06-15-2008, 01:50 PM
tjl82
Advanced

i went with the 340 spring on my 80, handles much better than the 9 leafs steel i went with the kyb shock they handle ok but they are bouncy feels like the back end is going to come off the ground,heard alot of good things about bilstein i'm going to try them
Old 06-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 453 Likes on 353 Posts

My $.02--DO NOT BUY THE HEAVYEST SPRINGS AVAILABLE!! I went with the heavy duty --550 front and 360 rear-- and it is great for the once or twice a year that I go autocrossing, but a little rough for a daily driver, and sometimes, on certain roads, uncomfortable.
I think alot of the "bouncy" is because of over stiff springs. Ever ridden in a heavy duty 4x4?
Old 06-17-2008, 07:31 AM
joepcad
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tjl82
i went with the 340 spring on my 80, handles much better than the 9 leafs steel i went with the kyb shock they handle ok but they are bouncy feels like the back end is going to come off the ground,heard alot of good things about bilstein i'm going to try them
are you using the 340 with a big block? are the KYB G2's? they seem poplular but There is a lot of talk about the bilstein shocks
Old 06-17-2008, 07:55 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

I went with the Shark Bite setup. Is that not of interest to you? I have a 300 lb composit spring, Poly Bushings, Delco gas shocks and cross member reinforment discs for sale if you're interested in saving some $$$. The ride was good but I like the looks of the Shark Bite and looks are more important

Even though it's only a 300lb VP&P Spring, I had no trouble with ride height or a too soft ride. I'm sure it's not for autocrossing but it was great for street use with a comfortable ride. Here's a picture of the rear using stock length spring bolts.

Below are the Reinforcement discs I mentioned.

PM me if you're interested in my used parts.
Thanks,
Jim
Old 06-17-2008, 09:29 AM
rclinton
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with the monospring front suspension and the 330# rear composite spring with KYB G2 on all four corners on my 80
Old 06-17-2008, 10:12 AM
KevinK
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jim, quick question for you. I am looking at both the VBP set, and the shark bite coil overs, and I wanted to know, is there that big of a diff, performance wise, between a glass leaf spring and coil overs? I'm not at all concerned with ride comfort....if I want that, I'll drive my honda. I have heard both good and bad things about both....leaf and coil over, I mean.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:08 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinK
Hey Jim, quick question for you. I am looking at both the VBP set, and the shark bite coil overs, and I wanted to know, is there that big of a diff, performance wise, between a glass leaf spring and coil overs? I'm not at all concerned with ride comfort....if I want that, I'll drive my honda. I have heard both good and bad things about both....leaf and coil over, I mean.
Kevin,

Sorry but I don't have mine back on the ground yet. I'm still working on it. There are some others here that have gone the same route as me, maybe they'll chime in and answer that for you. I hope their answer is yes!
Jim

Get notified of new replies

To looking for opinions on Rear Suspension choices

Quick Reply: looking for opinions on Rear Suspension choices