C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering gear lash adjusting screw

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Spitfire80
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering gear lash adjusting screw

Gents.
1980 Corvette

All of my front end as been adjusted, fixed etc...
Alignment is excellent, new tires with new rims...
She drives hands free

Minimum problem: Bit too much "slack / play" in steering when driving.
How much slack/play ? approx /maybe 2" to 3" inches

I can drive and live it alone....

Spoke/met with another vette owner and he advised that FINE adjustment can be fixed by the top screw on top of the steering box.

Before I start playing with that screw, how sensitive is she ?
Don't want to make it worst than it is
There's a lock nut to loosen and then a simple screw to turn etc...

Any input anyone ?
Anyone experienced with that adjustment ?

Phil
Old 07-13-2008, 05:26 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

That screw is the lash adjuster. Over tightening will wear out the center tooth and the gears will be wrecked. The difference in feel between good and bad is very fine and I suggest you review the whole procedure before attempting it. I'll PM you info to help.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:38 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Check out http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?page_id=4. there are two methods for adjusting lash. The best one calls for completely removing the box from the car and adjusting it with a 0 to 30 inch/lb torque wrench. The second method can be done with the box still in the car. With both methods you will have to disconnect the pitman arm (disconnecting the pitman arm is probably the hardest part of removing the box if you opt for that method).

Loosening the jam nut and just turning the lash adjuster screw is not the recommended way to adjust the box, and could result in some serious damage to the gears.

Have you checked the steering coupler (rag joint)? That is frequently the culprit if you have replaced all of the other steering components and still have some slop in the steering. The same link above has info on how to check it too. Thanks again to Mr. Jim Shea.

Best to elimintate all other possibilities before diving into the box.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:53 PM
Promise Enahoro
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTR1999
That screw is the lash adjuster. Over tightening will wear out the center tooth and the gears will be wrecked. The difference in feel between good and bad is very fine and I suggest you review the whole procedure before attempting it. I'll PM you info to help.
hey please, can you PM info about adjusting the lash adjuster. thanks
Old 09-26-2018, 05:05 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,005 Likes on 688 Posts

If the box is bad, just pull it out and send it to GTR1999/Gary above for complete rebuild. He does nice work.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:37 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You didn't mention the condition of the ragjoint (flex coupling between column and steering box). Lock down the shaft going into the steering box (so that it cannot turn when the column shaft turns) and see how much movement you still have in the wheel. If very little, the ragjoint is decent; with the same amount of movement you saw before, the ragjoint is your problem.

Also, if you are checking 'slop' with the engine not running, there WILL be movement. The P/S pump has to be running to put pressure into the control valve to keep it all tight. With engine OFF, there will be free movement in the control valve.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 09-27-2018 at 06:40 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering gear lash adjusting screw

Quick Reply: Power Steering gear lash adjusting screw