C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McJacks Headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 07:35 PM
DIP51
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Winner

Default McJacks Headers

Has anyone used these headers?? They are hand built, and look like a nice piece.

http://www.vetteheaders.com/servlet/Detail?no=1

I was wondering what gains, if any, you would be getting with short tubes? My stock manifolds look decent, but I am considering headers for performance gains. Long tubes mean a new exhaust, which could be in the cards as well, but I'm not real sure about ground clearance issues they may present.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:24 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by DIP51
Has anyone used these headers?? They are hand built, and look like a nice piece.

http://www.vetteheaders.com/servlet/Detail?no=1

I was wondering what gains, if any, you would be getting with short tubes? My stock manifolds look decent, but I am considering headers for performance gains. Long tubes mean a new exhaust, which could be in the cards as well, but I'm not real sure about ground clearance issues they may present.

I have a set of McJAcks headers on my 78 L-82 4spd that I put on last fall and could not be happier with them. They look and sound great with zero fitment problems. They are an exact dimensionally to the stock exhaust manifolds. I waited 25 years for someone to come up with these type of headers since I did not want full length headers with their ground clearance issues or block huggers. I use them with 2.5 in stainless duals and Monza turbo mufflers. Great power and sound!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:33 PM
DRIVESHAFT
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Performance wise they probably arent much better than stock.
Of course thats partially because big block Vette manifolds arent as horrible as some others.
They do look to be nice pieces though.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:50 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DRIVESHAFT
Performance wise they probably arent much better than stock.
Of course thats partially because big block Vette manifolds arent as horrible as some others.
They do look to be nice pieces though.
There is definitely a performance increase since the headers flow better with less restriction than the stock manifolds but then again full length headers really only show big gains on engines that are highly modified. I put Mcjacks on the car after I already had the 2.5in duals and Monza turbos and the exhaust sound got noticeably louder just with the Mcjacks which tells me the exhaust flow increased from the headers only. In addition, the water temp is lower now which tells me that there is better exhaust scaveging from the cyclinder heads. Not having the AIR ports interfering with the exhaust flow also probably helped since the AIR ports stick way into the head on the stock manifolds. Just my real world experience, not hypothetical! PS-the engine pulls better over 4,000 RPM as well.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:22 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are very nice, but for that money, I think I will buy a welder and make my own! My.02
Old 07-24-2008, 10:36 PM
Douglas Mariani
GM Cert Corvette Tech
Pro Mechanic

Received 436 Likes on 195 Posts

Hmm.......I was wondering about them myself for the 68 BB
Old 07-25-2008, 05:26 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Douglas Mariani
Hmm.......I was wondering about them myself for the 68 BB

The cost of the McJack's certainly made me pause before buying them, but I waited so long for someone to make a shorty header for the vette that would hook up to the stock type exhaust system with no raod clearance issues and engine fit problems, I figured they were worth the money. They are unique as headers go.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:29 PM
DIP51
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by sly vette
They are very nice, but for that money, I think I will buy a welder and make my own! My.02
They are running a special on Flea-Bay for $525, or $595can't remember which off the tpo of my head!!! I don't think that is too bad...for ceraminc coated inside and out???

I think it would be a bit more expensive to build your own, and probably not as nice to look at!!!
Old 07-26-2008, 05:32 PM
mcjackscorvettes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have these headers on my C3 and there is definitely a performance increase. These also hook up exactly like the cast iron manifolds, and to the stock exhaust. Yes they are ceramic coated from the inside out. A very nice work of art. My friend who has a 62 just ordered a set of McJacks Ramhorn headers with the alternator bracket built in like the original. I guess he just started offering these too. Very nice product and real personal service too.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:04 AM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Be careful I bought some shorty's for my C5, they ended up sending me Pacesetter. Not only that they were the wrong ones, he sent me 97-99 vette shorties, I have an 01. The exhaust shop realized this after they bolted them up and the Y pipe was not even close. He took back the headers but would not reinburse me for the labor. Be careful.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:58 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mr.Nubain
Be careful I bought some shorty's for my C5, they ended up sending me Pacesetter. Not only that they were the wrong ones, he sent me 97-99 vette shorties, I have an 01. The exhaust shop realized this after they bolted them up and the Y pipe was not even close. He took back the headers but would not reinburse me for the labor. Be careful.
I bought McJack's for my C3 from him simply because no one else offers a shorty header that is an exact duplicate of the stock exhaust manifold and hooks up to a stock style dual exhaust or the original exhaust with no modifications. They fit perfectly! I think for a C5/6 that I would use any number of manufacturers that make shorty headers for these vettes rather than a hand made header from McJacks. On my 1994 Mustang GT convertible, for example, I bought a set of BBK shorty headers that hook up to the stock exhaust and they too fit perfectly.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:36 PM
flstfi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Did The Ceramic Coated Stock Ram Horns

Thats right! and they are awsome looking. Not to mention the reduced under the hood temp........

Get notified of new replies

To McJacks Headers

Quick Reply: McJacks Headers