C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 swap.....it's a go...gulp!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 11:24 AM
tgcattle
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LT1 swap.....it's a go...gulp!

I've mention the swap and asked some questions about this in here before. Well with the price of gas and the cost to replace my tranny with over drive. I have decided to install the 94 Lt1 and tranny in my 79. I have gotten some info on the Lt1 rebuild. It has aluminum heads, bored 30 over, stock cam and 11:1 compression. It supposedly has a super chip in the computer. I will look to see if this is true. I looked at comp.cams cam selectiom guide. They suggested this cam...276HR-12...duration 276/281...@.50 lift224/230......503 lift. Yall think this is a good fit? If not any better ideas? Also I think I'll have to install 2 -O2 sensors? I have the stock wiring harness, computer, electric fans, radiator, vertually the complete 94 Z28 car. so I should be able to just swap everything into the vette? With an a/c bracket change as I have read the z28 bracket won't work in a 79 vette. Ya'll wish me luck and I'll prolly bombard you with a ton of gustions. But as always I know the good folks in here are always here to provide a wealth of knowledge. With the Lt1 specs I provided anyone have a guess what hp. this will make?
Old 08-02-2008, 11:26 AM
tgcattle
Racer

Also...can you tell by looking at the torque convertor if it's stock or if it's a stall convertor....i think it stock....but hoping ithas a stall
Old 08-02-2008, 01:23 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

If its a used motor I would suggest you change the Opti and water pump before installing it in the car.
Better yet swap out the front cover with a 96 lt1 that way you can run a vented opti
Old 08-02-2008, 07:21 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were me, while at it and if it does not already have it, I would:

A: - Pick up one of the new Edelbrock LT4 intakes along with a 52 or 54mm BBK Throttle body.

B: I would put a set of larger injectors on it. A set of 28lb'ers from a 97/98 Corvette fit perfectly and most guys in the C5 forum throw them out or sell them cheap. I probably even have a set lying around. Or pick up a set of 30's if they are the stock injectors whichI think are 22's.

C: I'd throw a set of roller lifters in there with 1.6 ratio.

D: I'd get rid of that SuperChip thing and send the computer to Ed Wright at www.fastchip.com and let him flash it with all youor settings when ready.

E: If it's an automatic, I'd throw a 2800-3000 stalk converter and shift kit in there before putting it back together. If a 6speed, a good clutch while apart.

Essentially you would have an LT4 with a kick. The stock Lt1 was 300hp and the LT4 was 330hp (rated but made more). You would probably be pushing around 380+ and be rockin'.

My .02

ps: Don't forget the headers.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:20 AM
tgcattle
Racer

I am going with the roller rockers. I was studying in the c4 section....I didn't see a lot of good comments on the LT4 intake.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:53 PM
tgcattle
Racer

Thanks for the input. know where I could get an ac bracket for a 94 vette.. looks like stock motor mounts will work? should I go for the poly or stock.....dumb question huh? I gots lots a beer in the fridge in the shop

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 swap.....it's a go...gulp!

Quick Reply: LT1 swap.....it's a go...gulp!