C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE help , mysterious starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 09:07 PM
yellowC3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE help , mysterious starter problem

HELLO, i really need some help , i dont to get rid of this car but it is driving me INSANE. Its a 76 auto, i put a motor in it last year and the starter would barely crank the engine over, make a loud banging noise like it was hitting the flywheel . Got new starter and battery a few days ago expecting the problem to be gone, no big deal . Same thing. I even bought a pack of starter shims, no help. I currently had the motor out to do cam , lifters, trans front pump housing seal. Put the motor back in and ive only heard it run about 3-4 times. now my brand new starter started the car a few times but seems to be broken now, it just goes ZIIIIIIIIIng and doesnt crank the motor, i think i broke the new starter. what would cause a brand new starter and battery to act like this? Theres a new ground from the frame to the block, i sat there with a fully charged jumper pack trying to help the thing out and the terminals got kinda hot on the battery. headlights, taillights, directionals all work. Could it be neutral saftey how can i get a consistant start out of this poor vette? Ive never even had the car on the road! Im just trying to get her back together! My GF loves the car and wants me to figure it out! SO DO I ! PLEASE HELP
Old 08-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Dirtbuster1
Racer

While you had the motor out did you inspect the flywheel for damaged teeth. Sounds like your starter is misaligned ( improper gap ) to the flywheel, or there are damaged or missing teeth. If this is an automatic transmission, you should be able to drop the dust cover for inspection.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't give you a specific answer but I have some suggestions for you.

First, pull the starter and the dust shield and inspect the flexplate. Check the teeth to see if they are eaten up.

In doing so, count the teeth. Mark one, start counting, and rotate, marking as you go, until you have counted all the teeth.

Then make sure your starter works with that flexplate tooth count.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:50 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
I can't give you a specific answer but I have some suggestions for you.

First, pull the starter and the dust shield and inspect the flexplate. Check the teeth to see if they are eaten up.

In doing so, count the teeth. Mark one, start counting, and rotate, marking as you go, until you have counted all the teeth.

Then make sure your starter works with that flexplate tooth count.

Automatic uses the 14" flexplate. You can't assemble them if you have the wrong one.

Yellow C3,
Make sure you have the GM starter mounting bolts with the knurled shank. This is important if you want the starter to work properly.

-Mark.

Last edited by stingr69; 08-04-2008 at 08:03 AM. Reason: nevermind the teeth counting - it's an automatic.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:24 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

you sure your timming is correct? Try and turn the engine over by hand, does it seem normal effort? Did you bind up anything during reasembley? And yep, starter teeth versus flywheel/flexplate teeth HAS to match. A manual starter just wont cut it.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:52 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

You need a flywheel, {flrex plate}......
Old 08-04-2008, 07:38 AM
yellowC3
Instructor

I did inspect the flywheel when i put it back on, it had all the teeth, ill have to check again now. The starter was for an automatic... ill drop it back down and test it at the store, measure the flywheel and get back to you guys? The starter has the staggerd diagonal bolts so that means i need a 14 inch FW? If i had the wrong starter and flywheel woudl it be possible for the car to start cause it has started before.
how many shims is normal? Spinning the crank by hand is normal and it did start and run pretty good i dont think the timing is doing it. What do you mean about the knurled shank? thanks alot
Old 08-04-2008, 08:00 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 807 Posts

Knurled shank = running along the length of the bolt, the bolts have threads for the first inch or so then they are smooth, then they have a criss cross checkered "knurled" finish like the handle of a socket wrench for a bit before you get to the hex head of the bolt. The knurled finish bolts are required.

-Mark.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Simmo
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend and I battled a similar issue, tried 2 starters, both slamming into the flexplate and screaming, despite trying all sorts of shims.

We eventually fixed it by cutting a better front face on the starter gear using a die grinder and small stone.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:31 PM
yellowC3
Instructor

Ok so i took the starter down and theres a tooth missing on the flywheel... did that just happen from cranking it with low battery? I had a shim in there .. anyone else think i should just throw this 400 ci motor in now ?
Old 08-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowC3
Ok so i took the starter down and theres a tooth missing on the flywheel... did that just happen from cranking it with low battery? I had a shim in there .. anyone else think i should just throw this 400 ci motor in now ?
Normally there is NO need for shims. The use of them may have caused the missing teeth on the ring gear. Shims move the starter away from the flywheel and as I stated above, shims are not necessarily needed.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:30 PM
yellowC3
Instructor

darn shims, oh well the motor i had in there was a POS anyway i just wanted it to run without ticking... ect anyway... THANKS to everyone here for helping me at a frustrating moment and that im keeping my corvette. Thanks again. Ill let you all you when its rolling!

Get notified of new replies

To PLEASE help , mysterious starter problem

Quick Reply: PLEASE help , mysterious starter problem